The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Best way of documenting a restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Best way of documenting a restoration

Hey guys,

So I recently bought my first 240z, which I am still ecstatic about! I cant wait to be done with school, go home, and start the restoration process. I want to document the restoration as best as I can, taking pictures and what not! Do any of you have suggestions of websites for organizing pictures or methods for documenting a restoration process?

Thanks!

Joey2point0
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM

before and after

Take lots of pic before and after of each step, so you can put things back in the right places, especially wires and vacuum hoses. Not sure how far you plan to take apart your car, but with every section I would take an as is picture , then as you remove things take pics of each part coming off, and the hardware associated with it, Bag your nuts and bolts in Zip locks and label each one... like radiator bolts, right fender bolts etc. With a good set of pics to refer to, it will be much easier putting it all back together. More than once my pictures of an engine bay saved my butt, sometimes you will have a bracket or something that looks completely out of place, but after looking through your pics you will spot the stray part and save yourself some heart ache and trouble. I also will tape my ziplock bags with bolt etc to the part they belong to, saves a lot of time sorting nuts and bolts. You can also take your baggies to a local nuts and bolts place and get new higher grade replacements if needed. It's just all about being organized. As far as sorting pictures, I create a project folder, named after the car, then sub folders for each different section, engine, interior, rear end etc, that way when you do need to refer to them its a lot easier than pouring over all of them at once. That's how I do it, and I'm still refining my process, as always I'm a work in progress. Hope this helps a little
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks for your response! After doing heavy research, I came across a program called Classic Car Companion, and after messing around with the trial. I decided to purchase it, and it was exactly what I was looking for, with the exception of expense tracking. If you guys have not heard of it and plan on restoring another car of any type I highly suggest looking into it!

Collector Car Companion