350Z (Z33) Forums Dedicated to 2003 + ZCars otherwize known as the Z33's

350 or s2000

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:17 PM

Let me speak from a non-bias state of mind as im only loyazl to a car i can drift, and if its RWD and has enough *** to get it sideways i'll drive it....

Lets put the history behind the choice.....

History of the Z

Now find the history of the S2000 and where it stands in history and past motorsports ...... I dont have a 350Z, I did have an S2000 as my daily (It blew) compared to my turbo Z31 the S200 was a matchbox car...

No offense i just want you to get a true feeling for what Prince/Datsun/Nissan
legacy stands for and how many podiums it has taken in past motorsports venues.....
Old 03-19-2006, 03:20 PM

I love posts like these where you get a bunch of people running their mouthes about how they beat one therefore their car is better.

Here is my advice to you, test drive both cars then pick the one you enjoy most! The driving experiance of both cars is very different, you need to find out which one is for you.

Do your research on multiple sites. Check out all the Z boards and check out s2ki.com. Look at the 1/4 times peopel on those boards have ran. The s2k can run 13s. Here is a post from someone last week who ran 13.7 in a stock car...
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=370147

If your interested in driving at the track go around the web and look at laptimes. www.speedventures.net is who I run with and recently we've been getting a fair amount of Z's and G's out. Find laptimes from both forums for the same tracks and compare them.

If your into autocrossing there are tons of autocross results out there. Look at the national results from when both cars were in the same class (B-Stock)...
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...oNationals.pdf

I think you'll find that the cars are pretty close to equal with certain advantages going to each car.

Try out both and do some research and form your own opinion on which one you like better and why and purchase that one

Now I'll give you my opinion on both cars which I formed when I was trying to figure out which one of the two to buy,
The Z makes a much better daily driver than the Honda.The radio blows the one in the Honda out of the water and the torque makes it much easier to drive and very easy to drive fast. The car also sounds cool with and without mods. The bad thing about the Z is that it is heavy and one thing I found out that really turned me off is the lack of adjustability in the alignment settings.
The Honda to me is much more of a drivers car. You truly have to be aware of whats going on to drive it fast because once you are out of the powerband you're pretty much a miata. It's also more neutral than any car I have ever driven. If you know how to drive it's very easy to get the car to do whatever you want it to on the track or an autocross course and it's very rewarding. The people that can't drive often complain about the car being tail happy (esp the older s2ks). The older cars do not forgive mistakes, they will snap over-steer on you very quickly if you don't know how to drive. Also the radio sucks

You can't go wrong with either car, they are both great. You just need to figure out which one fits your needs and/or tickles your fancy.

Yes I've driven both cars and I've driven them in everything from stock form to 350NV's car with complete bolt ons and hoosier race tires before it was boosted.

Karim
*a happy s2000 owner*

Last edited by KrazyKarim; 03-19-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:29 PM

Stop trying to clutter the issue with facts.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM

You guys forgot to add in that Johnny Tran's s2000 owns Jessie's Jetta in Fast and the Furious While were at it why don't we start factoring in safty ratings.

N8
*a happy Z owner*

I'd like to share the following .gif

Last edited by nka04a; 03-21-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by nka04a
You guys forgot to add in that Johnny Tran's s2000 owns Jessie's Jetta in Fast and the Furious [/IMG]
Thats not a fair compairison. Everyone knows Trans s2000 had at least a hundred grand under the hood~
Old 06-27-2006, 08:34 AM

Just read through this whole post and noticed it went from a s2k vs Z and now a viper vs a Z. i am in no way defending the viper but i noticed a lot of you guys mentioning the viper 1/4 times..check out this video if you havent seen it already.

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...3935D55D77.htm
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by raize2k
Just read through this whole post and noticed it went from a s2k vs Z and now a viper vs a Z. i am in no way defending the viper but i noticed a lot of you guys mentioning the viper 1/4 times..check out this video if you havent seen it already.

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...3935D55D77.htm
whats your point? like i get it but, what purpose did it serve, they said nothing about this car's capabilities, wonder what you could get if you took the same amount of money from that viper and put it into any Z what would happen, and just cuase a video on a non moderated website says it was set this way and that and no spool doesnt mean its true, for no spool i heard quite a bit of blow-off from the BOV. i can post soemthing just like that in its defense.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0132279&q=350z

no for almost crashing and braking until 84 mph and still runnin a 9.8 for john shepherd thats freakin good, i forget what that 350 normally runs, help anyone? sor if i sound like im getting edgy or deffensive im not, i enjoy this, i just didnt get the post of the viper video. i felt offended lol
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 PM

I wasnt really trying to prove anything. A ~page ago in posts people were saying 800hp vipers were running 11-12's. Here is a 800+hp Viper running 8's. Thats my point.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 AM

Ehhh why is a cars potential limited to a 1/4 mile, of course the Z will probably win by a .1-.3 of a second or lose if person doesn't shift at the right rpm to keep the correct power band into the next gear. Usually they do more then one 1/4 mile run to get the best time possible.

Now best motoring has done a few races where they have a 350z and S2000 on the same track stock racing with some other cars, to compare how they handle and how the do out of corners and into cornors, and the drivers on there are ex GT drivers and some have top 10 time attack records on more hten one course around asia and a few in Cali recently I think. So they pretty reliable when ti comes to a cars true potential.

Besides that point, the 350z non base moduls have VLC (I think thats what it is called) that really gets in the way if you want to have some real fun and makes it hard to get the full potential out of the car on some cornors cornors, and the S2000 will over steer with no problem sliding around a cornor if you like.

Now VIPERS and corvettes, you talking over steer master cars there, you have to be very good at throttle control if you track racing one of those, or doing a touge, or you will fly off the track or cliff, like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqrNJknh7pk maybe not breaking to late like he did but can happen whilth in the cornor lol.

Thats just my 2 cents I drive a 30 year old car, iunno anything about these newer things.

Oh yeh found this to be interesting http://autobeat.blogspot.com/2007/02...win-turbo.html

The fastest and most powerful limited-edition street car in the world. Only 24 will be built.

Power:
1000 hp @ 5000 rpm
1100 lb-ft torque @ 3800 rpm

Performance:
0-60 mph: 2.9 sec.
0-100 mph: 5.8 sec.
0-150 mph: 10.9 sec.
0-200 mph: 19.6 sec.
Top Speed: 255 mph

Last edited by D_Zed; 03-21-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

back from the dead.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by entropy31
back from the dead.
again
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Über User

man this keeps happening.... so many dead resurections.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM

The 350Z is a-lot faster then the Honda S2000 on a track & in the 1/4 mile. The Honda S2K is a high 14 Sec. to mid 14 Sec. car at the fastest in the 1/4 Mile. The S2K never made 13's in the production cycle of the car. It hangs in there for a while but that's it. The issue is Honda owners can not afford the Z so they settle for the S2K & think their car is faster because they gun it first. The S2K was never faster. Fiction, Not True. It is a good car to upgrade, but has never won a GT or Super GT championship. S2K owners get very defensive with the Honda & the younger crowd turbocharges it. The S2K's don't even race around here anymore at the track because they are coming in the 15's & 14's. Eclipse are the same. The "Honda" NSX on the other is still ahead of it's time even today & is a power house. I respected & liked the Honda S2000 & it's a shame the car didn't continue evolving, It's the #2 rated V4 in the world behind Lotus.

If you do decide to race the S2K turn the TCS "OFF" if manual down shift it to 4,800 RPM's & run it to 6,400RPM in every gear. Once in 3rd & 4th don't rev past 6,400 RPM's & shift right at the 6.4 mark. If auto shift it manually & drop the gear. Run it with a 1/4 tank of 93 gas & remove your spare tire & kit.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM

@350zgt3.. its an I4, not V4...

Ive had the privlage to drive a White 2007 S2K AP2, it feels so cool top down, low to the gorund, and a high rpm engine with 250hp at your disposal, not gunna lie the S2k is one hell of a car to drive around in. when we got the greddy turbocharger, we got it to high 12's and it was a hell of a drifter.. very fun car

ive also been fortunate to drive a 2003 and 2007 350Z... and the feel of the steering wheel, seats and overall feeling you get when shifting and knowing your driving a Z completely overpowers the S2K's teenage feeling.. every shift you make is like a rush of energy to your skin and hearing the unique exhaust tone is enough to give me boner.. yup i said it..... ive also had the privlage of driving a TT350Z 2008.. that was Shitballs crazy fun.

overall i give the s2K a 7.8 and the Z 9.5

s2k gets that score cuz not everyone can fit into one of these and after a while you get bored of driving it..

and the reason the Z gets a 9.5 is cuz they never made a ZX =(
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by 350zgt3
The 350Z is a-lot faster then the Honda S2000 on a track & in the 1/4 mile. The Honda S2K is a high 14 Sec. to mid 14 Sec. car at the fastest in the 1/4 Mile. The S2K never made 13's in the production cycle of the car. It hangs in there for a while but that's it. The issue is Honda owners can not afford the Z so they settle for the S2K & think their car is faster because they gun it first. The S2K was never faster. Fiction, Not True. It is a good car to upgrade, but has never won a GT or Super GT championship. S2K owners get very defensive with the Honda & the younger crowd turbocharges it. The S2K's don't even race around here anymore at the track because they are coming in the 15's & 14's. Eclipse are the same. The "Honda" NSX on the other is still ahead of it's time even today & is a power house. I respected & liked the Honda S2000 & it's a shame the car didn't continue evolving, It's the #2 rated V4 in the world behind Lotus.

If you do decide to race the S2K turn the TCS "OFF" if manual down shift it to 4,800 RPM's & run it to 6,400RPM in every gear. Once in 3rd & 4th don't rev past 6,400 RPM's & shift right at the 6.4 mark. If auto shift it manually & drop the gear. Run it with a 1/4 tank of 93 gas & remove your spare tire & kit.
First of all, this is a 4 year old thread.

second of all. I own an s2000 an AP1 and it will run a 13.7 with a great launch. They are just about identical in the 1/4 to the 350z. as for stock or near stock around the track like a road course, they are plenty faster than the 350z. Evasive motorsports has an AP1 with a tune, brake pads full exhaust intake OEM hard top and some aero work with non staggard 9 inch wide wheels all around and it has been setting track records in time attack in it's class over and over. I love my Z's, but I wouldn't touch a 350 over an S2k any day. A 370 on the other hand we can talk. And TCS was only offered on some AP2 models, and there was never an automatic trans in an S2000 ever. You need to learn more before you state something as fact. I HATE honda's as far as people with civics and preludes and crap thinking they are fast unless they are actually built. but I LOVE my S2K. And the AP1 revs to 9000 RPM and doesnt even start making power until 6000rpm peak is around 8k. so that shifting recomendation is crap. Launch at 6k. then learn to balance to not bog nor spin the wheels. because they love to do one or the other. And they have a GREAT engine for being a 2.0 liter 4banger. high compression and all forged internals.

the NSX actually DOESN"T make that much power. The S2k is faster than any USA offered NSX around a track. It's that rigid well balanced and light of a chassis. You can see videos of the honda factory race driver taking the S2k preproduction around a track saying it is faster than an NSX.

Also, WTF is a V4? it's an inline engine.

and finally, the s2k actually holds a higher resale value with comparative year'd 350Z's. Please dont post ever again with outrageous opinions being stated as facts.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Taste My Rainbow

^^^ WERD!

I've have driven both and I would prefer to have a s2k over a 350, a 370 though that would be hard to decide.

Try finding a good used S2k for under 15k that has not been abused compared to a 350z. Heck a 2008 S2K CR used go for what the base model 370's are.

Now If I had the money to buy either I would just dump it into my 76 by adding a supercharger, ArizonaZ Track-pak suspension, and widebody and then I would spank all of the other Zeds including the 370.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
the NSX actually DOESN"T make that much power. The S2k is faster than any USA offered NSX around a track. It's that rigid well balanced and light of a chassis. You can see videos of the honda factory race driver taking the S2k preproduction around a track saying it is faster than an NSX.
An S2k is not faster than any US NSX on any track or any line. The s2k is also almost as feminine as a VW bug...
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Über User

ummm... yah it is. This is the Honda factory claiming this, I don't think they are in competition with themselves so no point in making it up. They are a purpose built car, something easily driven on the street but much more oriented for the track. Perfect weight distribution, tubular subframe making it a convertible with a more rigid body than most hard top cars, with a close ratio 6sp manual transmission coming from a 247hp engine that revs to 9k that doesn't weigh crap. Now I will give you this, I would have love to see them take two F20 motors and stick them together to make a 400+hp 4 liter 9k reving V8 and compromise that weight distribution by 55/45 lol. but That obviously didn't happen. They should have made a non convertible option as well, but that's what the hard top is for. That is the only thing feminine about the car and there is a remebdy for it, and I do not like convertibles but I love it in this car.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Whatever. Its called advertising. The s2k is not more rigid and an NSX only weighs 2900 lbs + it has more hp. They suck. I don't care if it was faster than an SR71 Blackbird. It's a girls car. It falls in the same category as an audi TT (aka *** bubble)

BTW.... That 6 speed transmition in it is a piece of ****.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Über User

The tranny isn't bullet proof but it feels great and I know plenty of cars doing every kind of racing with a stock one pushing up to 700hp. 450 is a more typical number where you can abuse it and not worry about it complaining. The diff is the weak link in the car. It's tolerances are to tight and the carrier caps are to weak, so they like to blow. But they make a Z32 diff swap for ppl doing drag with high high hp cars and launches. Otherwise a simple rebuild and upgrade will fix the diff problems for non regular launch higher HP ones.

and nice argument, whatever... lol. The video wasn't an add. in fact its very little known about.

also the NSX weighs 3000lbs almost dead even in every model except the type R and has 270hp out of a V6 with very narrow front wheels/tires (the later models did have 290hp same weight and a bit more meat for tires so they are a better competition). The S2000 weighs 2780 and has 247hp... Pretty evenly matched. But take into account the size and other aspects, yes if you don't want to believe the Honda factory driver then simply on paper it is at the very least FEASIBLE that the S2000 is faster. Believe it or not. Whatever... didn't know you were so insecure you have to rip on any honda vehicle just to sound cool on the Z forum.

take a look:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...ura_nsx_page_5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dt659oWqA Yes these are modded but all the cars except the spoon s2k are modded to just about the extent you can and staying NA with the same motor they came with from the factory.

I'm by no means claiming the S2k can spank an NSX both completely at factory spec, just that it is right there and can beat it. not in everything obviously but it can. You seem to be claiming that the S2k cant touch it cause it's a "girl's" car... I'm not here to say the S2k is king **** this and that whatever, I love mine and personally think it is a drivers car, no driver assisting amenities other than ABS and power steering, simple, fun and always exciting, it keeps you on the edge when truly driving it hard in turns, but there are obviously much faster cars out there. You just seem to have some hater bias and mentally are incapable of giving credit to almost anything with an H logo on it unless it's an NSX just so you can join the fan boy "japanese supercar" lovers club.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:11 PM

I've driven both. The NSX accelerates faster and grips harder. The trannys suck on both though, although I think the sk2's is slightly worse. I don't care what the guy says its BS. Besides, what would you rather drive?

How's your Z swap going?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Über User

honestly... I don't know if I would have a preference on which I'd rather drive. I find my s2000 to be more thrilling becuase of how compact and precise yet needing good attention when pushed to its limits, but the NSX definitely has the wow factor and will hold resale value better. I'm honestly not a big fan of the looks of the NSX though nor what you get for the price, so I believe I'd be happier to own the S2k if given the choice of the two. I just need a hard top.

The 280Z swap is going, gonna put the car together almost the rest of the way next weekend then see about driving it. Holding my breath.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM

The S2000 is a serious performer for sure, I'm not knocking it, but man I'm just not feelin the whole 4cyl thing even if it is lighter. Plus, Zs are just so much sexier than a little Honda...
Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM

The S make use of the 4 perfectly fine. The Z's VQ is all around performer for sure. To put it simply, the S will be the screaming performer in the top range rpm and the Z have all bases covered for what you feel like that day.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
The Evil Twin

Thank you for that bit of info...

this thread is now 7 years in the making