300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:09 AM

2+2 Conversion to TT a bad idea?

I have a '90 2+2 that needs a new engine. I was originally going to put one of these low mileage JDM NA engines in I see on eBay for $1000 or so. While it was out it only makes sense to do some mods. Plans were to do headers, test pipes (I live in Alabama - woohoo!), air intake and a JWT ECU. I have not bought most of this stuff yet so if any one has it used for sale - please let me know.

Anyway, I figure we'd be up somewhere between 270 & 300 hp. I have a little room to spend some more money and was even thinking of putting in some TT injectors and a JWT NOS system. This should push us up close to 400hp, which sounds a bit better b/c I have a Harley F150 with a few mods pushing nearly 500hp and I wouldn't want my truck to be faster than my sports car! But the problem is that JWT NOS is 'spensive! But I am not really interested in a wet system.

So I am wondering, since I am replacing the engine anyway, should I just switch over to a TT? It sounds like a mechanics nightmare, but is it? What all is involved? I mean besides the obvious: engine, turbos, intercooler, & ECU. Is there much else to do?

And if I do, what cost-conscious things should I upgrade as well. What kind of turbos are a bargain for added gain? What intercoolers are better and not very expensive? I have a very experienced Nissan mechanic doing all the work, but as I'll be paying for all the labor, let’s consider that as well. I am not interested in super expensive parts with killer hp, it’s just if I am going to buy an intercooler, I'd rather spend an extra $50 to get a better one, if you know what I mean. And seriously, if someone had a heavily modded TT that they wrecked – I’d be very interested in that.

I have about $3k to spend, but I can go a little more if necessary. Mainly I just feel stupid dropping $6k in a car I couldn't sell for 5 (running of course).

Now if you are wondering why I don't sell the 2+2 and just get a TT there are 3 reasons. 1) All the money I put in the Z would be just to "fix it" as far as my wife is concerned. A car swap to a TT would be a little obvious. 2) I enjoy carting around my kids in the backseat. 3) my slick top Z is very unassuming in its rare gold color. If I ever got it going fast, I planned on getting the license plate “SLEEPER” heh heh.

What do ya'll think?

PS Who sells interiors now? I used to see them on ztoys.net but they are gone. Katzkins only sells the seats. I was going to have the whole interior switched over to suede while it was in the shop when I realized ztoys was gone.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:25 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

wouldnt a SLEEPER license plate kind of defeat the purpose? As for the interior click here
Old 01-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Ruined By Spudz

2+2 TT conversions are great IMO for the fact that they weren't ever sold in North America. I know many that want to do that, just to do something different. FYI, VERY HARD to get 300 hp out of a N/A engine without nitrous, and I'm not so sure about that 400 figure. Upgrades to the N/A's give you minimal increases and a guy on 300zxclub has 206 rwhp and he has much of the "wanted" mods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the JDM N/A engine rated at lower horsepower then the USDM?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:55 PM

The engines are rated at the same horsepower, the only thing is that N/A engines were not sold as much in other countries as here in the US. Actually, a 2+2 Z would be the ulitmate Z. Steve Millen and other Z enthusiasts have agreed that 2+2 TTs actually handle better at high speed vs the 2+0s. The longer wheel base is credited for that. Z1 has done a number of 2+2 TT conversions, I was lookin at one today they did out at their shop. ( thats a perk of livin in GA, i m near alot of shops) They can talk u through the build, or they could do it for u. I know u will need one of their drive shafts, the lenghs are different. It ould deffinitly be a sleeper, cause not many guys have them. I know I am wanting to yank the TT motor out of my TT car and drop it into my Hard top to make it TT. I have only seen one factory tt hardtop. And then there was Ashs TT hardtop that has sadly been wrecked. I say go for it!!!!!!!! It would be cool to if you could custom fit a HICAS system with the N/A rear end. FAST ACCELERATION+GREAT HANDLIN+3 SCREMIN FRIENDS= one good time pinnin your friends to the seat when the boost comes one.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:49 PM

To be honest there is no such thing as cheap hp on a Z, if you do get cheap parts then you need the proper connections and I "might" be able to give you a hand. Unless you totaly know how to weld and have all of the proper equipment to do it yourself, if not then you are kinda in a bind. I think the TTZ2+2 idea is the best one in the world, in Japan the 2+2 TT exists (I almost imported one for myself) Engine swaps are fun if you know what you are doing and you know what you are getting into. If you want the cheapest, most relyable turbos on the market go with HKS, another good engine to look at is the RB series engine but it's going to be a pain in the *** to find the wireing harnasses. HICAS is possible on the 2+2 same with the TT exhaust only problem is you need to find all the parts in Japan (very expensive) because you need it to be extended, proper fittings and it's never been done (you will be spending like $5K alone in the HICAS). Yes Steve Millen used the 2+2 because he needed to fit the gastank towards the center, the TT was too short thus throwing off the weight distribution. You have great ideas but none of them fit anywhere near your pricerange. I think it's totally worth it if you are willing to spend some major cash. You will be lucky to get the engine alone with $3K with out the wireing.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Southern Speedster

Ditto to comments below. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, I would find someone to do it for you. (The fact that you asked leads me to lean it that direction. Pls, no offense intended.) Yes, it will set you back some dollars, but you seem to be using terms that indicate you may be ready for that.

My attitide has always been "so what if you have to ship it half way across the US and then let them work on it for a month or two?" Z1 has done this conversion, BTW. You could trailer it yourself down in a long weekend...or drive it and then fly back. Just thinking out of the box.

My one bit of advice regards emissions. Contact your local DMV and understand their requirements. If you put a 96 engine in a 90 car, what do you tell the poor attendant at the emission's station? Understand that 90-95 electronics are very different from 96 (US) and 96-99 (JDM and europe). If you get a new engine, what electronics come with it? (Heaven help you if you don't get the wiring harness with the engine!) You will need to know the answer to that question when you go to sell it.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Some of us are green with jealousy!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
It would be cool to if you could custom fit a HICAS system with the N/A rear end.
Yeech! Are you a glutton for punishment? :-)
Old 01-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Nah I was thinkin show appeal..goin the extra mile would be awesome. i dont think that even the TT 2+2s in Japan came w HICAS. If u custom did that, although I think the rear cradles are the same, you would be another step above everyone else. The only ting is that you SHOULD keep the N/A rear end cause it is better than the TT unit. U dont need to import anything, you could if u wanted too, but why pay shipping. Z1 has alot of wrecked Zs with perfectly good engines. I am about to swap a USDM '92 TT into my '92 N/A slick top Z. I got lucky when i bought the car b/c the year model is the same, so i will have no legal problems. The only difference I can really tell about the US engines vs the JDM ones is that the JDM ones come w down pipes where the USDM cars are equiped w pre catalysists. Like always, the japs get the good toys and we are left wishin.

By the way, Z32TTGirl huh? Ok being the teenager I am. How old are you? I m curious cause if u were my age I would probably marry u? Where I live u dont even get noticed unless u have a jacked up truck. Imports are only thought of as equals to HONDAS, somethin lower than Mustangs and Camaros. But that all changed when I challenged a few of the american muscle boys to run me at the local drag stip.

I m off topic I know, first and last time i ll do it. Promise! :doh:
Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by peach
I enjoy carting around my kids in the backseat. 3) my slick top Z is very unassuming in its rare gold color.
Slicktop 2+2?

Personally, i think your 3k isn't going to be enough for what you wish to do. Visit the Z1 website to get an idea what a motor swap would generally cost and the parts/labor involved.
Just take a general look around in my link page for aftermarket parts that you possibly wanted to add during or after your swap. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:51 AM

There is no such thing as a 2+2 slicktop...is there? They only came in the 2+0 variation. Post some pics of your car Peach, i think we all want to see this. Post ur VIN# i want to see what it came with factory
Old 01-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Nah I was thinkin show appeal..goin the extra mile would be awesome. i dont think that even the TT 2+2s in Japan came w HICAS. If u custom did that, although I think the rear cradles are the same, you would be another step above everyone else. The only ting is that you SHOULD keep the N/A rear end cause it is better than the TT unit. U dont need to import anything, you could if u wanted too, but why pay shipping. Z1 has alot of wrecked Zs with perfectly good engines. I am about to swap a USDM '92 TT into my '92 N/A slick top Z. I got lucky when i bought the car b/c the year model is the same, so i will have no legal problems. The only difference I can really tell about the US engines vs the JDM ones is that the JDM ones come w down pipes where the USDM cars are equiped w pre catalysists. Like always, the japs get the good toys and we are left wishin.

By the way, Z32TTGirl huh? Ok being the teenager I am. How old are you? I m curious cause if u were my age I would probably marry u? Where I live u dont even get noticed unless u have a jacked up truck. Imports are only thought of as equals to HONDAS, somethin lower than Mustangs and Camaros. But that all changed when I challenged a few of the american muscle boys to run me at the local drag stip.

I m off topic I know, first and last time i ll do it. Promise! :doh:
Im 18, and already taken I know most of my knowledge because I have been working on engines since I was like 3yrs old with my dad. Not to mention I am a member of Z-sport of SanAntonio all of my friends are like 30+ years old and are also Z-freaks. Agreed with being noticed, I live in Texas South Tx at that, where the big rednecks are, but Angel does attract some attention. Well back to the topic, your ideas are quite interesting and I would love to see it be done! Keep us updated. Remember anythings possible you just need to put in the effort
Old 01-09-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Z32TTgirl
Im 18, and already taken
Dang it!! I m 17, ahh. That sucks so bad. I m happy for you, but that sucks for me. I know that sounds mean in a way, but its true
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM

I think everyone has pretty much said what needs to be said. Basically, in a nutshell, if you only want to spend $3k, Stick with the N/A. Add a few mods and have some fun. You won't get to 300hp unless you go through the whole block. You won't get 400hp as an N/A, unless it's with another motor.

What do you have an your F150 Harley edition that get is to 500hp???
Old 01-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Okidoki - this is to everyone - thanks!

Holy Smoke - Talk about response! Thank you to all who responded.

I guess I'll hit everything one at a time, in order.

Originally Posted by entropy31
wouldn’t a SLEEPER license plate kind of defeat the purpose?
Yes, a SLEEPER tag would be somewhat defeating, but is been a childhood fantasy so whatrugonnado? But it’s a bit retarded and likely not going to happen. And thanks very much for the interior link.

Originally Posted by My Fairlady Z,
2+2 TT conversions are great IMO for the fact that they weren't ever sold in North America. I know many that want to do that, just to do something different. FYI, VERY HARD to get 300 hp out of a N/A engine without nitrous, and I'm not so sure about that 400 figure.
Yes, TT 2+2’s were sold in Japan for the Z32, and I believe a few other places as well (Australia is another I think). Outside of going to some Italian beauties, a RHD 99 2+2 would be the dream ride for me. My hp numbers come straight from JWT, and I am sure they were all crank, not rwhp. I don’t have time to find all the source info, but its all at JimWoflTechnology somewhere. The numbers were: ECU, Air intake, upgraded exhaust = 270hp. I would be adding headers and deleting some cats, so that would figure another marginal gain as well.

Originally Posted by WhtFaiRLadyZ
It would be cool to if you could custom fit a HICAS system with the N/A rear end.
Not the direction at all I want to go. Lots of money and I am not sure it is even a good idea. I have read more than one time that TT racers disable the HICAS b/c it just is not all its cracked up to be. Another one of those great engineering ideas that turns out not to be so great. I consider it a weight advantage right now that I don’t have HICAS.

Originally Posted by Z32TTgirl
To be honest there is no such thing as cheap hp on a Z
I never intended to come off as being cheap! But the key for optimal gain on limited part swap is to know exactly what mods one intends to do and have the ECU programmed exactly for that. The sad part is these exact mods on a TT yield about 400hp. When first bough the Z a few years back, I actually had a long conversation with Jim Wolf about all of the “intelligent” upgrades. Most of what learned from him has only been affirmed over the years. I also became sold on the idea that a dry NOS system that he recommends is very safe/intelligent system and would get you to 400hp. Plus, being there is no lag, it would beat an otherwise comparably equipped TT. I don’t care about that so much as I don’t race, but put you back in the seat acceleration cannot be faked. Anyhow, the previous mods are ~$1500 retail. The dry NOS alone would be another $1500.

Also, I although I am not interested in cheap parts, a set of used Stillen headers don’t perform any worse used imho than they did new, so if someone was parting out there modded z, I am an interested party.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Ditto to comments below. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, I would find someone to do it for you. (The fact that you asked leads me to lean it that direction. Pls, no offense intended.) Yes, it will set you back some dollars, but you seem to be using terms that indicate you may be ready for that.

My attitide has always been "so what if you have to ship it half way across the US and then let them work on it for a month or two?" Z1 has done this conversion, BTW. You could trailer it yourself down in a long weekend...or drive it and then fly back. Just thinking out of the box.

My one bit of advice regards emissions. Contact your local DMV and understand their requirements. If you put a 96 engine in a 90 car, what do you tell the poor attendant at the emission's station? Understand that 90-95 electronics are very different from 96 (US) and 96-99 (JDM and europe). If you get a new engine, what electronics come with it? (Heaven help you if you don't get the wiring harness with the engine!) You will need to know the answer to that question when you go to sell it.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Some of us are green with jealousy
I am a shade tree mechanic myself, it is just that time is becoming a scarce resource, and if I were to start in on this it be too long before it would be done. I’d be better off doing part swaps, one at a time. My mechanic, Tommy, who has done about 6 JDM engine swaps and is a gold mind. I had an acquaintance who owned 2 Nissan dealerships before retiring. He claimed Tommy was the best 300z mechanic for 500mi, and I haven’t seen anything to disprove that.

The reason I was looking at JDM was none other than those engines are very low mileage & look superclean, according to Tommy. He is the first person I should have asked about this and I haven’t yet, so I’ll post what he tells me later. I was figuring on about $2000 for a new NA engine installed, based on what I see on eBay for engines and what Tommy says it’ll cost for an install. I have seen a couple of people parting out TT’s with their engines & acc. parts selling for $1500. I am curious just how much harder the TT was to install.

About those emissions. Heh heh. I said I live in Alabama, which may not mean anything to you, but that essentially means, if it runs, you can drive it. Nobody EVER looks at the car here. Not the TAG people, not my insurance lady. Nobody. I don’t wan to get off on a tangent, but that is the LAST thing I am worried about. I have lived in a number of states, and they were all ******** about this stuff, except Alabama. Here, it’s like a tuners heaven.

There is no such thing as a 2+2 slicktop...is there? They only came in the 2+0 variation. Post some pics of your car Peach, i think we all want to see this. Post ur VIN# i want to see what it came with factory
And
…i dont think that even the TT 2+2s in Japan came w HICAS. If u custom did that, although I think the rear cradles are the same, you would be another step above everyone else. The only ting is that you SHOULD keep the N/A rear end cause it is better than the TT unit. U dont need to import anything, you could if u wanted too, but why pay shipping. Z1 has alot of wrecked Zs with perfectly good engines. I am about to swap a USDM '92 TT into my '92 N/A slick top Z. I got lucky when i bought the car b/c the year model is the same, so i will have no legal problems. The only difference I can really tell about the US engines vs the JDM ones is that the JDM ones come w down pipes where the USDM cars are equiped w pre catalysists. Like always, the japs get the good toys and we are left wishin.
Whoops! I feel like a dumbass. I had forgotten about the 2+0 w/o ttops and interpreted the term slick top I had read in a few posts before posting mine to mean a z without any wings messing up the just incredible look of z32 (which I absolutely hate btw). Sheesh, I feel so stupid. I KNEW this. Anyhow, you are totally correct, the slicktop was ONLY available in a 2+0 config. Thanks for clearing that up.

As the TT’s weren’t available as slicktops either, one with a TT dropped in it truly is a inspired machine! No HICAS, strong frame, not extra interior weight. Wow, that could be light as hell. Good luck!

About the USDM vs JDM. I would much rather find a USDM with 20k miles on it, but those are nearly impossible to find. Everyone has 100k. The japs really don’t drive theirs as much and a 20-30k mi engine is that weird for them.

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
What do you have an your F150 Harley edition that get is to 500hp???
Oh, this thing is a beauty! It has of course the lightening engine and it doesn’t take much! Look at options “E” and “F”. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightning.htm I haven’t dyno’d it yet, but there is absolutely no way this doesn’t have of 500hp at the crank. I am hoping for 450 rwhp.

Straight Shot 95mm Mass-Air/Cold-Air
Superchips Tritune Max Micro Tuner
Accufab "Big Oval" Throttle Body (Billet)
C & L Trueflow Inlet Pipe
Motoblue™ "Qc" Crank Pulley Kit 8+ Lb
Ngk Iridium Spark Plugs
Jet 170° Low-Temp Thermostat
Heavy-Wall Stainless Steel 1-5/8 Long Tube Headers
No-Cat Hi Flow Mid-Pipe Stainless Steel 2-1/2
O2 Sensor Extensions
Magnaflow Stainless Steel Cat-Back
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM

As the TT’s weren’t available as slicktops either, one with a TT dropped in it truly is a inspired machine! No HICAS, strong frame, not extra interior weight. Wow, that could be light as hell. Good luck!

Actually, they did offer a twin turbo slick top granted they are RARE. They could only obtained by special order through a nissan dealership. I have only seen ONE real slicktop TT and, like most, was stipped down and turned into a race car. The only other TT slick top i have ever seen is Ash's old burgundy car and the frankenstein project I am about to create here soon.

Here is apic of the car, it is sittin in Z1's showroom here in Carrolton, Ga.
Attached Thumbnails How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread-dsc00711.jpg   How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread-dsc00712.jpg  
Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Southern Speedster

FAST ACCELERATION+GREAT HANDLIN+3 SCREMIN FRIENDS= one good time pinnin your friends to the seat when the boost comes one.
On a wild hair I put the three children in the Z and cruized around the neighborhood. 1st gear around 1800RPM and nailed it. Revved 'till about 4500RPM. Three screeming kids pinned to their seats. It was a very rewarding experience. And cheaper than a TT conversion.

You single guys in your fast cars ain't go nuttin on us older guys! :hpydance:
Old 01-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Bad Speller

so what If U have kinds pounding on your seats. we got girls and 3 pairs of breasts ready for a wild as orgy. he he he aint got nothign on that. :bling:
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Hey bardabe I dont think u should tell to many people that. The legal age is 18 remember that..or you'll end up like R Kelly. Besides..most of these guys on this site has daughters. Guess you lost any datin privilages. And your 15 anyway, dude your askin to go to jail. Drivin is onw thing, but underage with three passenger. Your cop would have a field day.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by bardabe
he he he aint got nothign on that.
Still I'd rather mine anyday...but thanks for the response! ;-)

Last edited by lightspeed; 01-10-2005 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typos, as usual!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Bad Speller

lol..... he he well **** I wichI could actually my Z is a 2seater. plus my girl is 15 also. I just got with her. btu yeah never thought I'd actually find a girl. i'm too picky but i found her. i still want the orgy tho. lmao :headspin:
Old 01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Ruined By Spudz

Kids and their puberty..
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Bad Speller

... so?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by My Fairlady Z
Kids and their puberty..
exactly and 2nd.

... so?
point proven.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Bad Speller

dude aren't U supose to be in my side rizz? lol
Old 01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

dude aren't U supose to be in my side rizz? lol
Um...no.

I'm not on anyone's side. As a mod, i really can't be.
I agree and disagree as i see fit, just depends on the topic.

Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread