300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Loves Going Topless

I think that was supposed to be in Georgia.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:45 PM

turbo questions

Hello, I am picking up a 93 300 z na, since I can't find a TT for sale. I only found one, but guy was asking way too much for the car. 12 grand for a 96 with 220,000 miles, everything still stock, nothing new. He would not even budge, even when I put 9 grand on the hood. So I passed on that car. Turbo's don't last that long and get expensive, especially the way I drive. But anyway, back to the question, since my car is na, what are the differences between the na motor and the turbo motor. I am not new to cars so please don't say turbo's. I am asking if Nissan used a different head, pistons, or a different block. The plan is to put a stock TT on this car. I know it would be alot of work, but well worth it. I just need to know if they used a different block, and the pistons I would imagine are different, cast vs forged. I know cams would be different, and do the TT blocks have oil squirters or what not? And did Nissan change blocks during the production, like the 1st and 2nd gen Mitsu's. And if they did what is the better years. Also any and all suggestions are welcome, I am just trying to get a feel for where I want to take this car. Long time Z finatic. Just never had one so new. My other car is a 80 ZX and a 92 DSM. Now I got a lot to learn about this motor so please bear with me, if my questions sound dumb it is because I never worked on one of these motors before. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 AM

So, you're looking at turning an N/A into a TT without doing a swap. The block is the same in both cars. It's the VG30DE. Everything I've read tells me that the aftermarket pistons, rods, cams, etc are the same. The OEM are slightly different. The N/A runs 10.5:1 compression and the TT's run 8.5:1. On the TT, the bore is 87.12mm & stroke is 83.06mm. I couldn't find the specson the N/A. The lubrication and cooling systems are different in order to integrate the turbos. TT's run larger injectors, they use a larger radiator, requires a different ECU, different exhaust manifolds, and the TT has an oil cooler. There probably more, but I can't think of if off the top of my head. IMO, converting a N/A motor to a TT isn't cost effective. The intercoolers, along with the IC inlet and outlet lines are very pricey. For used equipment, you're looking @ approx $1k for all the piping from the turbos to the IC's (including the IC's) and back to the throttle bodies. You can get a full TT front clip for approx $2500; which would include that piping. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 91zxtt; 12-24-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I have heard that the TT crank is forged and the n/a is cast. Don't know for sure
Old 12-24-2004, 08:37 PM

What does a front clip swap entail?? Whats the difficulty Level?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Bad Speller

i've done research on this cause I'm doing it to my Fairlady. she's a 90 NA. U can get a front clip with ECu and everithing for what like 91tt said about 2500 with ECu and everithing. the motormounts are the same, removing your fenders front bumper and hood help alot with the swap. it's suppose to be a direct bolt on. U might have to drill some holes to mount the turbos on the brackets to the NA frame. they recomend a new boost gauge or getting a TT cluster with boost sensor harnes. my case I'm mounting them where the stereo supose to be. while the trany and motor are seperate I'd upgarde the Clutch system and flywheel with a beter one save the hastle. along with the o2 sensors, downpipes, midpipes, and test pipes. probably do the 60,000 mile cervice Just in case. I've heard that front clips are ment to start leaking on the headgaskets so I'd change those too along with most of the other gaskets.while you are at it you might wanna change the gear and transmition oil with the redline oil. 91tt knows the best one's to use.

you are looking @ about a 4000$ total expence in teh swap. if youare doing the labor if not about a good 1000$ - $1500 in labor from a good mechanic not just a mechanic

PS they really need a spell check on this thing it took a while for me to make sure people would understand what i say.
but good luck man hit me upif you need help but 91 and rizz realy know their stuff
Old 12-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by CaptainZ
What does a front clip swap entail?? Whats the difficulty Level?
Maybe start here:

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=14700
Old 12-25-2004, 11:09 AM
caught the z fever

hey at least your working on it bardabe
Old 12-26-2004, 02:47 PM

Have you checked to see if there are any Z dealers. You'll most likely pay more but they may be able to find a TT. My mechanic told me the swap wasn't very cost effective. May have been a marketing ploy But being new to the game I asked JWT and they recommended the mechanic so I think they've been wheeling and dealing for a while. Just a thought though.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:57 PM

Some have found it to be more cost effective and beneficial to the do swap. If you can find a cheap N/A that's in good shape, and a reasonably priced clip, it allows you to easily do many mods that would normally be very difficult with the engine in the car. It saves labor costs and lots of headaches. However, if you want to start with a base TT and slowly build up, like most of us do because $ isn't endless, then being patient and finding a good TT may be your best bet.

Captain,...I've read many of your posts. It sounds like you know what you're doing. You can do this job. It will just take lots of time, $ and patience. Another thing to consider....You have a more favorable low speed gear ratio with the N/A diiferential; however, you don't have a limited slip diff with the N/A. It's a tradeoff. The car is quicker off the line, but will have lower top speed (who really cares about top speed) and you won't have a LSD. You also won't have to deal with HICAS on the N/A; which saves a lot of weight. Many TT owners disable the HICAS system anyways. You would definitely want to upgrade the brakes and suspension of the N/A as well.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Bad Speller

well let's go in my case.
Car cost: 3000$
DMV and smog BS: 300
Repairs 140$
Upgrades 0$ for now

Total veihcle cost:3440$

The car is in good condition all it needs it's a front bumper. 164,xxx miles.
worth the TT swap??? what U guy's think???
Old 12-26-2004, 07:19 PM

Okay so it sounds like I gotta do it the harder way. Was hoping to be able to get away with just adding the manifolds and turbo's and related hardware, but, it seems that building a new turbo motor is the better way to go, so now I have to find a block and start building a turbo motor. Oh well, nothing is ever easy when it comes to a Z
Old 12-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by Las VegaZ
Okay so it sounds like I gotta do it the harder way. Was hoping to be able to get away with just adding the manifolds and turbo's and related hardware, but, it seems that building a new turbo motor is the better way to go, so now I have to find a block and start building a turbo motor. Oh well, nothing is ever easy when it comes to a Z
:doh: Uhh no dude Ithink it's better getting a front clip. there is more that just the motor. there are lines too. :doh:
Old 12-26-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Las VegaZ
so now I have to find a block and start building a turbo motor. Oh well, nothing is ever easy when it comes to a Z
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...942761101&rd=1

One that ebay offers.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver

I had already read through that post previously(atleast when it was around 8 pages)and that was about someone who did an engine swap not a front clip swap(if I am not mistaken)unless all the posts from pages 8-14 are about clip swaps?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Captain,...I've read many of your posts. It sounds like you know what you're doing. You can do this job. It will just take lots of time, $ and patience. Another thing to consider....You have a more favorable low speed gear ratio with the N/A diiferential; however, you don't have a limited slip diff with the N/A. It's a tradeoff. The car is quicker off the line, but will have lower top speed (who really cares about top speed) and you won't have a LSD. You also won't have to deal with HICAS on the N/A; which saves a lot of weight. Many TT owners disable the HICAS system anyways. You would definitely want to upgrade the brakes and suspension of the N/A as well.
I do know what I am doing when it comes to 4 Cyl Turbos and such, but I am a novice as far as knowledge and ability goes when it comes to the Z. I havent had a chance to really take alot of stuff apart and put it back together yet. I think thats part of the reason why I wouldnt mind undertaking a swap project as I would get to know my car better. Also, I was under the impression that all Z32's turbo or non turbo had the LSD. Anyone car to elaborate one way or the other?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:14 AM

I don't recall where I heard that the N/A's don't have LSD. It doesn't make sense to me either, but that's what I read.

If it were me and I couldn't find a solid Z32 TT, then I would buy a front clip and go through it. New pistons, rings, rods, etc. Build it from the bottom up. It would be more expensive, but it would be one hell of a car when I was done. My $.02.

Here's a thread started by a member that has a N/A and bought a TT motor, but not the clip. It gets expensive in a hurry. https://www.zdriver.com/showthread.php?t=10956
Old 12-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I would swear that the way my car turns in the dirt and on wet pavement that it has LSD. It's quite similar to my Tundra which I know has LSD. Not quite like riding a quad (solid axle) on pavement, but I can hear the inner turning wheel (left or right turn) sliding a little.

(I had already read through that post previously(atleast when it was around 8 pages)and that was about someone who did an engine swap not a front clip swap(if I am not mistaken)unless all the posts from pages 8-14 are about clip swaps?)

These are the same thing. Just that when you buy a clip, you get all of the parts to do the swap.

I'd vote for the full rebuild of the new motor. Then you know what you have......... a new motor.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 12-27-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Southern Speedster

It is my understand that all Z32's have a viscous coupling LSD. The NA and the TT's have different ratios, though.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM

Yep, the N/A has LSD. Both the R200V and the R230V differentials use viscous couplings.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
I would swear that the way my car turns in the dirt and on wet pavement that it has LSD. It's quite similar to my Tundra which I know has LSD. Not quite like riding a quad (solid axle) on pavement, but I can hear the inner turning wheel (left or right turn) sliding a little.

(I had already read through that post previously(atleast when it was around 8 pages)and that was about someone who did an engine swap not a front clip swap(if I am not mistaken)unless all the posts from pages 8-14 are about clip swaps?)

These are the same thing. Just that when you buy a clip, you get all of the parts to do the swap.

I'd vote for the full rebuild of the new motor. Then you know what you have......... a new motor.

OOOHHHHH :doh: . My thought of doing a front clip swap would be to detach the entire front clip(so that it looks just like the clip you bought) and reattach the new clip withought having to go through and disassemble and reassemble.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Yep, the N/A has LSD. Both the R200V and the R230V differentials use viscous couplings.
Thats what I thought :dancing:
Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by CaptainZ
OOOHHHHH :doh: . My thought of doing a front clip swap would be to detach the entire front clip(so that it looks just like the clip you bought) and reattach the new clip withought having to go through and disassemble and reassemble.
I would lean in that direction!

Don't forget to reattach the gas line, the drive shaft, the electrical, the floor pan, the break lines, the parking break, refit the windows, the sheet metal, the carpeting, the roof, the structural, the . . .
Old 12-27-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by lightspeed
I would lean in that direction!

Don't forget to reattach the gas line, the drive shaft, the electrical, the floor pan, the break lines, the parking break, refit the windows, the sheet metal, the carpeting, the roof, the structural, the . . .
:roflmao: :rofl:

I think I just got owned. Thats kinda why I asked what entailed doing a front clip swap, cause I wasnt sure.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Southern Speedster

Sorry to hijack the thread guys, but I have just a had a great vacation and guess I'm getting a bit cheeky. All in good humor, I trust! :woot:

Back to the subject at hand. I'll sit back and learn...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread