300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Z1 ecu

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Z1 ecu

i was wondering if anyone is running the Z1 ecu and what the overall opinion is of it? I know ive heard alot about the jwt ecu and not much about this one and considering they claim the same kind of hp gains why is the Z1 so much cheaper?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:25 PM

The Z1 ecu is actually not there's. It was developed by a guy that use to work there by the name of Ash. I am running their ECu on my NA and I love it. The ASHspec ECu is cheaper mainly because you are not paying the overheard of a major name brand like JWT.

Compairin the two there are some differences and simularities between the two programs..I ve seen the data and compared them.

The JWT and Ash ecus data and fuel mappings are IDENTICAL!
The JWT program DOES NOT have a KNOCK mapping as a safety cushion whereas the Ash spec unit does..he spent more time and energy and developed one.
If my memory is correct..the factory rev limiter is set at 6400. JWT resets it to 6800 and Ash has it up at 7200.
JWT has the top speed limiter in place...where Ash resets it to an unobtainable number like 345 mph i think.

The only complaint I have about the ASH SPEC unit is that the fuel map only compensates for rpms up to 6400. My car redlines at 7200 now. So that means my car is gettin enough fuel for those extra hundred revs. The JWt unit is havin the same problem..but ASH is workin on that problem now. Overall I am pleased with my ECU..I chose it bc I live near Z1 and i watched ASH personally put it in my computer. That meant alot getting all the info from the man himself..not a sales rep.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 AM

thanks for the info. what do you know about their upgrade for the TT? also im assuming i get an ecu from them and mail mine back to get the core correct? im just wondering wut kind of install im looking at
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Bad Speller

it shoudl take less than 5 minutes to take your old ecu out and put the Tuned ECu in.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
it shoudl take less than 5 minutes to take your old ecu out and put the Tuned ECu in.
Not true, a socket has to be soldered in if you have a completely stock ECU. I have ASh's eprom. I ordered it directly from ASH himeslf. Z1 is still using ASH's older tunes. ASH has made many developments, and you know if u order from him you will be getting the best customer service.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

actually LUKassZ, If mewfis138 orders an ECU n swaps it with his current ECU, then yes it should be a five minute job.
If he just orders the Eprom chip then yes, it will be a little more involved.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Upstate Z Moderator

I've got a Z1 ECU on the way--shipping mine off to them next Monday. How much difference can I realistically expect?

Is it low end gains, high end gains, or improvement throughout the rev range?

Will it help, hurt or not change gas mileage?

With changing timing, rich/lean mix, and increasing the redline, etc., how much risk is there to engine longevity and reliability?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by waterdogzx
I've got a Z1 ECU on the way--shipping mine off to them next Monday. How much difference can I realistically expect?

With changing timing, rich/lean mix, and increasing the redline, etc., how much risk is there to engine longevity and reliability?
Do you have a TT? If so you can bring the boost up to about 12-15PSI depending on supporting mods, and you will DEF. see a difference.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Upstate Z Moderator

NA--Convertible.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Dan's the Man

Originally Posted by waterdogzx

I don't have the Z1 unit, I went with the AshSPEC and (without dyno) I'd say there was gain throughout the range. The most noticeable for me was low end [having an NE (from here on in, Naturally Exasperating) with automatic]
Remember, gains will not be as noticable on the NE.

Gas mileage...don't know (actually don't even care)

Any modification for performance risks longevity and reliability...the more you do, the greater the risks. Keeping the z very well maintained and not beating on it regularily helps offset some of those issues.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Link Page.
i have a link of Ash vs JWT ECU. Dyno charts n everything.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:05 PM

z1

So I got a z1 in my car it hasn't been touched on a wile do u think I could get it updated or would there be any use I got a 1990 300z 2+2 manual