300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Rear diff

My Z is approaching 180k on the odometer and the stock n/a diff has been whining since 120k. So I would like to ask the board how many people have rebuilt their rear diff/bought an aftermarket diff and what your experiences are like with your after market diffs.

So far I've had no issues at all, but I am just getting some ideas for a remedy in an event of diff failure.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 PM

are you sure it's not one of your center bearings making the noise?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jverz
are you sure it's not one of your center bearings making the noise?

I am assuming the sound is from the diff. It could be the center bearings. Since I'm all over the 180k mark on my odometer, I assumed, but I'm pretty sure that was replaced when I had the 1 piece driveshaft installed.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If you have a 1-piece driveshaft, you don't have a center support bearing. Differentials don't commonly go bad, but I'm assuming you're running the stock R200 (NA) rear end with that Twin Turbo conversion, in which case I'd wonder if the power is simply pushing the differential too hard. Unfortunately, you don't really have any aftermarket options (for the R200 rear end) that I know of.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
If you have a 1-piece driveshaft, you don't have a center support bearing. Differentials don't commonly go bad, but I'm assuming you're running the stock R200 (NA) rear end with that Twin Turbo conversion, in which case I'd wonder if the power is simply pushing the differential too hard. Unfortunately, you don't really have any aftermarket options (for the R200 rear end) that I know of.

I was wondering the power issue and my diff being pretty high in miles, I thought it may be going out.

Aren't Quaife diffs the same as R200s that are modified? Or maybe not?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Pr0n Addict

don't rebuild it without first trying some really good gear oil in it. that will often quiet it down a bit.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

2nd on gear lube... try Redline MT90 or MTL. And if it was whining 60k miles ago, you should've done something about it then.

There is a Quaife LSD for the R200, forgot about that. I believe they behave differently than regular LSD's though, so you might want to look into that...
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Quaife+LSD+R200

(I've been waiting so long for a chance to use that.)

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
don't rebuild it without first trying some really good gear oil in it. that will often quiet it down a bit.
2nd on gear lube... try Redline MT90 or MTL. And if it was whining 60k miles ago, you should've done something about it then.
I did the fluid change at the beginning, when the sound was first heard. I've tried the Redline at first then tried more heavier Lubrication Engineering but I still have the whine. It operates fine and I can not tell any difference on function. The sound has me a little worried.

You know?

There is a Quaife LSD for the R200, forgot about that. I believe they behave differently than regular LSD's though, so you might want to look into that...
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Quaife+LSD+R200

(I've been waiting so long for a chance to use that.)
LOL!

Ok... I was being lazy

But here it is:

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Nissan R200 is suitable for Nissan R200 models with both 10mm and 12mm bolts. A direct replacement for the standard Nissan open differential, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential transforms your car’s performance.

Unlike a conventional plate-style limited slip differential, the Nissan R200 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential relies on gears rather than clutch plates for its operation. That means it is much smoother in operation.

The Nissan R200 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle, like a conventional LSD. Rather, the Nissan R180 115mm C/W Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree, and never locks.

The Nissan R200 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential has many benefits over a standard open differential, including maximising traction and minimizing wheelspin, eliminating torque steer and snatching in front wheel drive cars compared to conventional LSD units, and a maintenance-free design which retains the standard oil lubrication.

The Nissan R200 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential is proven in circuit and drag racing, rallying and road use, and is produced from Corus steel billets, and is CAD designed and CNC machined, then inspected to ISO 9001 standards.

With over 170 applications, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential is second to none. Accept no imitations!

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differentials are used by Ford, General Motors and Daimler-Chrysler as original equipment.

The Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Nissan R200 is also now subject to a lifetime warranty (subject to terms and conditions).

Source
Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Pr0n Addict

that letmegoogleitforyou made my day. and it's christmas! good stuff.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 AM
F5 Hero

I have a complete TT rear end with 83k miles on it if you need. The car was T-boned on the driver rear, but differential should be ok. Was going to put the LSD on my 240sx, but I really don't want it sitting in the garage until I finish my swap and start working on the 240.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

my diff developed a BAD whine. just got the (bad) luck of the draw i guess. found a used one at my local Nissan-only wrecker for $200 and installed it myself. no problems since.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 AM

When was the last time u changed out that stinky nasty rear gear oil ! ? ewwwwwwwwwwwww i bought a new rear diff. for my 1993 300zx when i first bought it 109,000 miles i used only the best full sysnthetic rear gear oil money could buy ! try changing out your oil ?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM

How many miles did you have when you developed the whine? Did it effect the function any, or was the sound onlt thing wrong with the unit?

Originally Posted by entropy31
my diff developed a BAD whine. just got the (bad) luck of the draw i guess. found a used one at my local Nissan-only wrecker for $200 and installed it myself. no problems since.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM

The first change was performed @56k. @100k the service was repeated. @ around 120 the diff started to whine. It never hinder the function, but the whine is a little annoying and unnerving since I have no way of knowing when it will quit on me

I used the Redline fluid first and then 1000 miles later switched to Luberication Engineer and the whining got a little quiter. The issue was addressed when the problem first occured. It just never made the whine go away.

Originally Posted by nismo619
When was the last time u changed out that stinky nasty rear gear oil ! ? ewwwwwwwwwwwww i bought a new rear diff. for my 1993 300zx when i first bought it 109,000 miles i used only the best full sysnthetic rear gear oil money could buy ! try changing out your oil ?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by DropTopTwin
How many miles did you have when you developed the whine? Did it effect the function any, or was the sound onlt thing wrong with the unit?
around 90k. didn't affect function but was loud as hell.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Mine isn't a loud whine but still annoying as hell. Like yours, it works fine but it just can't do the job quitely. LOL.

Originally Posted by entropy31
around 90k. didn't affect function but was loud as hell.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Leader Gears Z32 Gears

http://www.specialtyz.com/gears.htm

I found this at SZ and I was wondering if anyone has tried these. If so, any feed back would be appreciated. For 595 shipped, I thought the deal was pretty good.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

It is a good deal. They are a great product and will make your car feel lighter and perform better overall. The trade-off is that they are reportedly noisy. I do not have them on my car, but several people who have them have spoken about them being louder than stock.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm resurrecting a pretty old thread here... but I just picked up a 93 2+2 and it has the same whine. I got the diff serviced and got rid of that nasty smelling old oil... running a full synth 75w90 now. I seemed to help a little but it still howls over the exhaust.
I was wondering if DropTopTwin ever had any resolution on his issue?
I'm hoping its something less costly than a new rear end but the car only ran my a grand... so I guess another $500 won't kill me.
Thanks guys

I went ahead and recorded the sound for better understanding... you can hear the howl at:

Last edited by Z_addict_78; 07-28-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: link included...