300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

No Start after Injector upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 PM

No Start after Injector upgrade

I have just changed out my injectors to the pintleless injectors. My husband did the pigtail splicing for the connectors. We cannot get her to start. She will turn over and she did fire a couple of times but immediately dies. On another forum, someone said there were three grounds behind the plenum. We have two of them secured but cannot find the third. Can someone tell me where that third ground is, please. And if there is something else we should be looking at?
I am planning on racing her this year and my first race is Memorial weekend.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The ground is not the most likely culprit, in this instance.

I am going to assume that you installed the proper fuel injectors for your ECU fuel maps. Obviously, installing some 850cc/min injectors with your stock ECU is going to hugely flood the engine and it won't start, but I'm going to assume you wouldn't do that.

I have a suspicion that maybe you crossed the fuel feed and return and have a semi-functioning FPR (fuel pressure regulator)... the semi-functioning FPR is blocking almost all of the fuel flow from the pump (it is directional), but letting some trickle through. The little that trickled through is what allowed it to briefly sputter.

I'd disconnect both fuel lines that run from the fender to the fuel rail. Route them into a large jug, have someone briefly turn the key to the "on" position and see which one fuel comes from. The other hose connects to the fuel barb that runs to the FPR. The one that flows fuel will connect to the barb that runs to the passenger's side of the engine bay (and the damper, if you still have it installed).

https://z32.wikispaces.com/Fuel+System+Diagram

If that ends up being your problem, get an in-line fuel pressure gauge and test the FPR and damper... you may need to replace one or both.