300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Need a good Z shop Pacific Northwest/Rocky Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM

Need a good Z shop Pacific Northwest/Rocky Mountains

I need a recommendation for an excellent Z32 shop (or any performance turbo shop I suppose) within a day's drive of Missoula, MT. That can include Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, Portland, Boise, Salt Lake City and obviously places like Spokane and Tri-cities (Richland, Kennewick and Pasco).

Specifically I am looking for a shop either with a dyno or access to one for diagnosing knock symptoms at WOT. I am not 100% sure my 1993 TT is actually experiencing knock, I could just have a faulty sensor (no codes), but I don't feel like tearing down the top end of the engine to replace it without being sure. For the same reason, I do not want to just bypass it if I actually am getting occasional detonation.

My plan would be make an appointment, drive there the day before (car runs just fine) and stay in a motel for 1-2 nights. Perhaps the diagnosis will be finished in a couple hours, in which case I would be back on my way to Missoula that day.

If it turns out to be a faulty sensor, I am not going to have it replaced there (it would involve waiting for parts) but my mechanic here could do it when I get back (and install a set of new-style injectors while he has the top end apart).

Thank you for any ideas.

Mark
(cross-posted everywhere)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM

Cool idea. I would put more than one shop on my list so I could drive to the second if the first doesn't work out. Bring a service manual with you ( http://www.xenonz32.com/reference.html )

I would also take a replacement for every major sensor with me so that if the diagnosis/inspection points to one or two of them, we would replace those and see what happens. If I bought all the sensors from the same parts place near home, they would let me return the ones I don't open/use - money back. And I'd get to drive a happy Z home... Cue Aerosmith tape. Dump Jason Beeper on the highway.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 04-15-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 PM

F.I./Turbo diagnostics Washington State

If you believe it's a Turbo issue check with Turbo Technologies in Tacoma. Performance prep in Federal way for dyno. For more complicated technical or fuel injection issues PM me, I specialize in the unfixable or know who to contact for complex issues. Parts are readily available around here and dropping the car off for a week or so is recommended this time of year. We're all pretty busy right now.
A "knock" at WOT probably has nothing to do with the turbo, more likely an air fuel ratio issue or a mechanical issue.