300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Cam Phasers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Cam Phasers

I'm going to be doing an engine tear down with my friend to replace the piston rings in my NA Z32 engine. I took it to a local mechanic and he said to be careful because of the "cam phasers". Are they for the variable valve timing, or what exactly? Because it looks like they are only on the exhaust side, is that sound right? Does anyone have any advice when doing a complete tear down of the VG30DE engine?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Pr0n Addict

i am finishing up a head swap on my '90 N/A. those things pluged right into the back of the cams and i had no problem. they didn't require any work at all. i left the wires attatched and layed them up on the windshield. for the job. i thought they were on the intake cams. i actually cant picture it right now. and just get a new block. a little more money, a lot less work, and a lot more insurance.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I have thought about doing an engine swap, but this is a rare car. I'd like to keep as much of it as original as possible. This is a '93 convertible with paint code CK2, manual trans. According to my research there were less than 2500 convertibles made for the 93 year. Of those, 103 had the paint code CK2... 55 manual trans, 48 automatic. I hope you all can see my delima now.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
caught the z fever

wow, you have a brown vert. pics plzzzz
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Sorry I haven't been on in a few days. I'll try and get some pix for you guys before I put her away for the winter... Northern Michigan can be a real pain for car enthusiasts!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

sounds good. i don't think i've ever seen a brown one
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM

I second that... Pics please!!! I also have a 93 vert, 5 sp. I love it. It's been in the safety of my garage for about a month tho... I'm currently deployed to the middle east, so I put the girl up earlier then I wanted to... oh well, I heard it snowed already this season in PA, so I'm not missing much.

I would love to see some nice pics of a vert! Hook me up, please
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ViperGTO99
I would love to see some nice pics of a vert! Hook me up, please
Well I don't know about NICE pics, I mean I have done a few stupid things since I've had Zaia. Some of which have resulted in "body damage". But I will see what I can do for you all.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM

So anyways, to get back on subject...

What do the cam phasers actually do? Do they have something to do with the variable valve timing or what, I'm unsure? Does anyone out there know?