300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Drive Belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:06 PM
And the Funky Bunch...wtf?

Drive Belts

Well I'm going to be ordering all 3 belts. I'm tired of hearing the squeeking. I don't know which belt is causing the squeeking. Is there a website you recommend in buying the belts? I don't plan on buying at the dealer because around here it's pretty pricey. I have the stock pulley. So far i think the best place is Concept Z Performance.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Opinionated

i have a sqweeky belt too!! god i hate it, it sqweeks at idle untill i rev up the engine and then sometimes it sqweeks when i downshift into second and first.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 86zMan
i have a sqweeky belt too!! god i hate it, it sqweeks at idle untill i rev up the engine and then sometimes it sqweeks when i downshift into second and first.
yea for me it really depends on the weather. when it's cold(like right now) it squeeks for like 15 secs. if i rev it the thing squeeks louder. but when it's warm or hot the squeeks aren't that long. lasts about 5 secs.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

right at the top of this section there a general z info sticky. just click on it and youll see a lot online retailers there. good luck bro!

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8434
Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 PM

i guess my best stop is Coz. before i buy i'm going to try tightening the belts to see if they stop squeeking. the belts still look like they're in good condition.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:01 PM
F5 Hero

i got mine from auto zone... no squeeking or anything....
Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM
confuzed member

more than likeyl that's your tbelt tensioner, not your belts.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Tighten the belts first. If it goes away, it could just be because they're not on tight enough.

And while I normally recommend OEM belts, I've had no trouble with my autozone AC belt (I needed it on a Sunday to fix my AC system and recharge it, no dealerships were open, so I took a chance and haven't regretted it)
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I'd first say, that if you don't know how old the belts are, just replace them. Then you won't have to worry about them for a few years. btw: I replace all belts & hoses every four years whether they need it or not. No breakdowns for me. The nissan belts that I priced thru courtesy are pretty competitive. Other than nissan, I'd only use the Gates brand, which are also a little less expensive.

But then, properly tightening your old belts should fix the squeaking problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by emo236
more than likeyl that's your tbelt tensioner, not your belts.

To this day,....I have never heard a timing belt squeal.

I can guarantee that it has nothing to do with your timing belt. It is one of your three drive belts. It's either worn out, loose or dirty.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
confuzed member

REad closer, I said the timing belt tensioner.....if you haven't heard it happen on a Z before, you either have been around a lot of lucky Z owners or you haven't been around a lot of different Z's. It's very common. My old Z did it. It squels for the first 15 sec or so when cold and then goes away. It doesn't harm anythign, but it can be annoying. If you want to fix it, plan on changing your timing belt early and spending an extra $200.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:31 AM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by emo236
REad closer, I said the timing belt tensioner.....if you haven't heard it happen on a Z before, you either have been around a lot of lucky Z owners or you haven't been around a lot of different Z's. It's very common. My old Z did it. It squels for the first 15 sec or so when cold and then goes away. It doesn't harm anythign, but it can be annoying. If you want to fix it, plan on changing your timing belt early and spending an extra $200.
TO this day, neither have I ever heard a timing belt squeel from being loose. and I've delt with 3 loose timing belts in Z's (one being my own). Timing belts do not squeel when they're loose. They flop around (but not squeel). And it can hurt something, something in a big way....

It's a drive belt that is squeeling.
The way I figure out which one, is i spray belt dressing on each one till it semi-stops. Although this won't solve the problem, it helps isolate which one needs to be tigthened.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
TO this day, neither have I ever heard a timing belt squeel from being loose. and I've delt with 3 loose timing belts in Z's (one being my own). Timing belts do not squeel when they're loose. They flop around (but not squeel). And it can hurt something, something in a big way....

It's a drive belt that is squeeling.
The way I figure out which one, is i spray belt dressing on each one till it semi-stops. Although this won't solve the problem, it helps isolate which one needs to be tigthened.
he said (twice) timing belt TENSIONER, not the timing belt itsself.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by entropy31
he said (twice) timing belt TENSIONER, not the timing belt itsself.
THANK YOU!!! Please read the post before replying to it.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:17 PM
F5 Hero

timing belt tensioners don't squeel either.... it has nothign to do with the timing belt or related parts / accessories...

All the timing belt tensioner does is keep the timing belt tight. Let me provide an analogetic example.

Your alternator belt is squeeling. This is caused by the tensioner being too loose. So you adjsut the tensinoer to tighten the belt.

The timing belt tensioner being too loose (which is rare, it's usually an operator error and ou ahve to replace the whole thing since it's a hydrolic tensioner) cause the timing belt to be too loose. It would not squeel, you would just hear the belt flopping around under the covers...

Last edited by napoleonzheking; 11-04-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
confuzed member

check out the buying guide, #9.
http://zhome.com/
I had to go find this since I've known it from experience. When my old TT did it, Greg, Charles and Steve (Mossy nissan mechanic, ex-zwhizz mechanic) all told me that it was the timing belt tensioner. I just found this from a search.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by MarkieMark
yea for me it really depends on the weather. when it's cold(like right now) it squeeks for like 15 secs. if i rev it the thing squeeks louder. but when it's warm or hot the squeeks aren't that long. lasts about 5 secs.
Originally Posted by STupid buying guide thing
It won't hurt to wait, it just makes an annoying noise for 5 minutes or so each time you start it.
First of all, 5 minutes vs 15 seconds... He doesn't have the symptons that buying guide thing says. Second of all, I'm going to disagree with that 100%. I've seen 3 Z32's with failed timing belt tensioners, and tons with non failed timing belt tensioners, not a single one of them has "squeeled".
I've also heard tons of cars, not just Z's squeel, and it's always been a drive belt....
Old 11-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I have to admit, I've never heard (nor heard of) a timing belt (or its tensioner) squealing...
Old 11-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I've heard bearings (aka tensioner & idler pulley bearings for this topic of discussion) squeal just like a slipping accessory belt, shortly followed by siezure and / or disintegration.

If the bearing in your tensioner or ilder were to sieze, the t-belt will prolly squeal before it slips off.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 11-04-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I have to admit, I've never heard (nor heard of) a timing belt (or its tensioner) squealing...
2nd.
I'll be replacing my drive belts soon as they're screeching like crazy with the cold weather.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
2nd.
I'll be replacing my drive belts soon as they're screeching like crazy with the cold weather.
sadly, I almost wish I had the same problem... my Z is already in storage for winter (forced due to the fact that I couldn't afford insurance for her anymore on account of not being employed for the past 5 months)
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 PM
confuzed member

my expereince, Greg's (dupree), Charles (Park), and Zwhizz mechanics have been different.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:42 PM

It's not the tensioner. I don't care who told you that it was.

Funny thing is....the drive belts need to be removed in order to get to the tensioner. They should've just tightened the belts, or replaced them. That way they wouldn't have needed to replace the tensioner and waste all that time.

I had 120k miles on my tensioner when I replaced it. It was quiet as a mouse.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
It's not the tensioner. I don't care who told you that it was.

Funny thing is....the drive belts need to be removed in order to get to the tensioner. They should've just tightened the belts, or replaced them. That way they wouldn't have needed to replace the tensioner and waste all that time.

I had 120k miles on my tensioner when I replaced it. It was quiet as a mouse.
never replaced it, just delt with it. and that's good that you had a quiet tensioner.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Opinionated

i got this belt squeek stuff at the autoparts place it seems to be working

Quick Reply: Drive Belts