Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2002, 09:04 PM   #1

Oil pressure too low

Some times my oil pressure gauge needle drops down really close to 0 at idle..or is it supposed to be low at idle? but my oil level and everything is fine...any one know why?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #2
Only1Z

Re: Oil pressure too low

Yes I know. :-) It's the oil pressure sending unit and it's very common to go out on the Z. Get one from coz@conceptzperformance.com. It's easy to change at oil changes since it's right down there by the filter.

Click the image to open in full size.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
bbigaal1

I had the same problim, and everyone told me it was the sender unit and that the oil pressure guage isn't very accurate in z32's. Shortly after that my oil pump shattered. The dealer wouldn't fix it and I had to take it to a speciality shop for Z cars. Cost me $1,400 to get it fixed. So basicly just be careful. It probally also wouldn't hurt to use some of that Marvles Magic Mystry Oil (or whatever it's called).

Old 12-01-2002, 07:47 PM   #4
bbigaal1

I had the same problim, and everyone told me it was the sender unit and that the oil pressure guage isn't very accurate in z32's. Shortly after that my oil pump shattered. The dealer wouldn't fix it and I had to take it to a speciality shop for Z cars. Cost me $1,400 to get it fixed. So basicly just be careful. It probally also wouldn't hurt to use some of that Marvles Magic Mystry Oil (or whatever it's called).

Old 12-03-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
uztv

I would take it in and spend the 1hour labour to have it mechanically tested or go and buy a tester to have around. That way you know for sure. Spending the little money to have the test done is way cheaper than pulling your engine.

At least you'll be sure.

..Dan

Old 12-03-2002, 06:26 PM   #6
Only1Z

It's the oil pressure sending unit. I know it. :-) It's so common to go bad...so common it's happening to me just as described. I have one sitting and waiting to go in.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:02 AM   #7
uztv

All I am saying is be sure, I suppose for the cost of a sending unit and time it takes to slap it on you would know but when I was buying my Z the pressure was low when my mechanic was inspecting it. He almost dismissed it as the common problem but he decided to do the mechanical test and found the pressure really was low leading to me making the selling do a major overhaul before I would buy it.

Either way don't let it go like that do one or the other so you know.

..Dan

Old 12-10-2002, 07:50 AM   #8
hadez

I have the almost same problem. Except that the pressure reads just under 30 while driving. At startup the pressure reads about 60 for a few seconds then drops to 30 then after warm drops to just above 0. Then back to 30 when moving. Would this be the same thing?

Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 PM   #9
Only1Z

99.9% chance yes.

Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 PM
ZDriver
350Z

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit