300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Z32 Rumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 PM

Z32 Rumble

My 1992 NA Z32 produces a deep base/ slightly physical rumble that seems to emit from the passenger suspension point or wheel, it does not continue along to the wheel, clutch or throttle. What is peculiar is that the vehicle only rumbles or shakes at about 30-50mph, only under light throttle, only when vehicle is somewhat cold. If throttle or brakes are applied in this range the rumble becomes negligible, if even noticeable. after 10-15 mins. of driving the issue becomes unnoticeable at most speeds. any ideas?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Horsepower Mathematician

The strut maybe? Could a strut have a kind of "warm up" time? But then there's the braking that affects it, so that makes me think of the spindle. Is the sound just coming from the passenger side in general, or can you pinpoint it to front/rear?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rupe
The strut maybe? Could a strut have a kind of "warm up" time? But then there's the braking that affects it, so that makes me think of the spindle. Is the sound just coming from the passenger side in general, or can you pinpoint it to front/rear?
I'm fairly certain it is coming directly from the passenger tire, it's frustrating because after some run time the vibration disappears. I have a new set of KYB's and bushings sitting in my garage so once I get those on I'll post back and let you know about the strut idea, I didn't really consider that. It's odd that it disappears under throttle and breaking.