300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Blower works, but no heat...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
Blower works, but no heat...help please!

Obviously i'm not driving the car now due to snow/salt...but come spring i'm going to want to get in it as soon as the salt's gone...

Only problem is that even though the salt will be gone, it tends to stay cold here in buffalo for a long time...and can get very cold any time of year...

The blower motor works in the car...and when the A/C system was actually charged it blew cold air too (i never recharged the system after the swap)...

The car warms up fine, temp guage works fine, has a new thermostat...but how come it never will push air any warmer than the air outside?

I bought a whole new switch pod recently from a junk yard...the one that controls the blower fan and the wipers (mine was hanging off anyway)...but i doubt it is the switch not working, because if that was the case the A/C would have never worked...

A friend said that since my coolant was so shitty when i first for the motor, that all the crud in the coolant probably clogged up the heater core. Two recommended solutions where as follows:

1 - Hook up a hose of some sort to the radiator, and push water through the system, trying to break through whatever is clogging the core.

2 - Reverse the hoses that run to and from the heater core...so water/coolant would now be running through the core from left to right, rather than right to left...maybe the reverse in the direction that the pressure is coming from will break through the blockage...BUT...how hard will this be to do? Will removing the upper plenum be enough for me to be able to get at these two to-and-from lines...or will i have to attack it from underneath the car...working around the transmission...or having to remove the tranny?

My problem/concern is this:

these two possible solutions are assuming that the heater core is in fact blocked...
And...my biggest concern is if the core is blocked, and i break through the blockage and water/coolant begins to flow through again...i pray to God there's no damage or hold in the core itself, because then i'd start pissing coolant all over behind the dash, and it would probably find its way to my interior...

People have told me that the heater core is probably shot...but if this was the case...wouldn't i be losing coolant? i am not losing any...and i dont see how something that serves strictly as a type of radiator almost can be broken, and not leak? What else can they mean by "the heater core is shot"...how can it be shot when it's nothing more than a passage through which a fluid travels?

The last thing i want to do is pull the entire dash to replace the core...

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Banned

maybe your thermostat is stuck open and its blowing clod air, also if there isnt alot of coolant in your system will cause it to be cold, or like you said the heater core might be cloged, also if you used a nismo thermostat that runs at colder temp will deffently cause it to blow cold air i had the same problem. i had to drive it hard to get warm air so I changed back to stock. do what your friend said drain the fliud ad a radiator flush fill with water, flush fill with water again flush again, do this until it comes out clean then replace with good quaility fluid. makre sure you let the car warm up to open the thermostat when flushing. if that fails i would take the rad out and flush it and disconect the hose from the heater cores and hook hose up and power flush it out. do the same with the engine but take the thermostat out. if all else fails get some one with a power flusher machine to flush it out.
Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
Obviously i'm not driving the car now due to snow/salt...but come spring i'm going to want to get in it as soon as the salt's gone...

Only problem is that even though the salt will be gone, it tends to stay cold here in buffalo for a long time...and can get very cold any time of year...

The blower motor works in the car...and when the A/C system was actually charged it blew cold air too (i never recharged the system after the swap)...

The car warms up fine, temp guage works fine, has a new thermostat...but how come it never will push air any warmer than the air outside?

I bought a whole new switch pod recently from a junk yard...the one that controls the blower fan and the wipers (mine was hanging off anyway)...but i doubt it is the switch not working, because if that was the case the A/C would have never worked...

A friend said that since my coolant was so shitty when i first for the motor, that all the crud in the coolant probably clogged up the heater core. Two recommended solutions where as follows:

1 - Hook up a hose of some sort to the radiator, and push water through the system, trying to break through whatever is clogging the core.

2 - Reverse the hoses that run to and from the heater core...so water/coolant would now be running through the core from left to right, rather than right to left...maybe the reverse in the direction that the pressure is coming from will break through the blockage...BUT...how hard will this be to do? Will removing the upper plenum be enough for me to be able to get at these two to-and-from lines...or will i have to attack it from underneath the car...working around the transmission...or having to remove the tranny?

My problem/concern is this:

these two possible solutions are assuming that the heater core is in fact blocked...
And...my biggest concern is if the core is blocked, and i break through the blockage and water/coolant begins to flow through again...i pray to God there's no damage or hold in the core itself, because then i'd start pissing coolant all over behind the dash, and it would probably find its way to my interior...

People have told me that the heater core is probably shot...but if this was the case...wouldn't i be losing coolant? i am not losing any...and i dont see how something that serves strictly as a type of radiator almost can be broken, and not leak? What else can they mean by "the heater core is shot"...how can it be shot when it's nothing more than a passage through which a fluid travels?

The last thing i want to do is pull the entire dash to replace the core...

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Boosted Z; 02-18-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM

how cold is it outside?

I noticed mine didn't blow very hot air either when it was extremely cold outside, meaning -5 and under. Make sure your coolant is full mine was not, about a quart low, if it isn't than it will never blow warm air in extremely cold weather.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Check the cabin sensor unit located in the roof. If it is not connected it will cause havoc on your system.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
Originally Posted by flfuzzz
Check the cabin sensor unit located in the roof. If it is not connected it will cause havoc on your system.

i've never heard of this...where is it? and what's it's function? i dont have the digital climate control just so ya know...all manual, thought that's how all the 1990 NA's came...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM

Our 90 NA has climate control
Old 03-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

any chance you tried the troubleshooting diagnostic that's in the fsm?
that's my suggestion.