300ZX Z31 Tech Tips For 84-89 Z31's

Nissan Z31 300ZX Aftermarket Stereo Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:10 PM

Need DIN adapter

Your guide was very helpful to me. Thank you for sharing this information. I have a 1987 300ZX 2+2 with the premium sound system and the amplifier under the passenger seat is connect to the stock radio via a DIN cable. An adapter is need to connect the DIN to the new radio wiring harness. The problem is, I don't have a wiring diagram for the DIN and can't tell what each socket contains.

Do you know?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:37 PM
VIVA LA Z31!

um...he doesnt chek this board anymore i dont think...his site is.

www.az-zbum.com

maybe he has an email addi there

Rob
Old 05-30-2005, 11:18 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Thank you so much.... this has been the greatest help to me.

JD
Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Well i tried using this guide, but for some reason im having trouble with the installation. I have installed countless stereos before but this one has been by far the hardest one. I got power to the deck, but whenever i turn on volume to the speakers, it shuts the radio off. I can turn the bass all the way down to -8 and then it plays just fine, but if there is any bass in the volume at all, it cuts off all power to the speakers and only the subs will work. I even researched my cars model and trim package to see if it had the external amplifier, thinking maybe i was having these problems because of it, but didnt help much. I noticed something under the passenger seat, but not sure if its the amp that zbum was writing about in his guide. Cant really seem to get a good look at it. Any suggestions on what to do? Im thinking maybe someone else has had the same problem and might have a solution.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by stryker
I even researched my cars model and trim package to see if it had the external amplifier, thinking maybe i was having these problems because of it, but didnt help much. I noticed something under the passenger seat, but not sure if its the amp that zbum was writing about in his guide. Cant really seem to get a good look at it. Any suggestions on what to do?
Sounds like you didn't hook it up right. If you didn't even remove the passenger seat to verify an amp, or can't verify what trim leve you have, how do you know you've hooked it up right?

Basically, you hooked it up wrong. Go back and try again before you blow up your stereo.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Come on man even i hooked up my deck,and im an idiot right?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 PM

i re-wired the whole stereo today. Took me about 2 hours but its finally working again. From the factory stereo there is a **** load of wires there connected to lights that lit up the panel on the original deck, i cut all of them off and started out with brand new wire. I finally got them all working but still having one minor problem. The memory will not stay put, i think i have a problem with my constant power to the deck. As soon as i find out which wire is the memory wire on my deck, i will run that wire straight to the battery or to the fuse box, to keep a constant power so i do not have to put in my security code every time i turn my deck on. Anyone know which wire keeps the memory on after market decks???
Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 AM

memory is usually red, purple/yellow is usually remote. took me 20 mions to install my cd player on all 4 speakers and around 14 hours to fabricate the surround (carbon fibre made from carbon sheet and resins ect) Then another 3 hours to put in a dvd player (glovebox) with another 3 hours cutting a hole at the top of the dash for the screen to fit, then another 6 hours putting in two 12 inch woofers and two amps and creating a fibreglass surround for it, and making a custom install of it, and 2 hours to install pods and speakers front and rear (components front, rears are 6x9's) add another 3 hours to add the alternator upgrade and an optima battery, and all in all, i had way too many smokos.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 AM

hmmm seems like we are using 2 totally different kinds of decks. Red is usually the power supply, orange is illumination, and blue is remote. I dunno, im getting tired of troubleshooting this install. I have installed a crap load of decks before but this is by far the hardest one to get working correctly. Now im having trouble with the lights on my dash, they wont turn on. im going to pass it along to a professional installer and save myself the headache, not worth it anymore.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 AM

illumination? how old is the deck? your not talking the standard wiring? im talking about aftermarket cd players, don't get me wrong but the colours could be the other way around i generally dont look half the time, but if it doesnt hold memory, just swap the two power wires around. If it turns on, both power wires are connected.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:20 AM

im getting power, and its doin just fine, but i had to connect all 4 power connections together to get it to turn on in the first place, and my kenwood deck is a little under 5 months old, all decks have an illumination wire, well all the ones i have seen anyway.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 AM

hm thats funny since my rockford fosgate, my clarion, my fusion, my alpine and my sony didn't, there all illuminated even with the lights on/off, is there a difference in models from america to australia? perhaps so. read the user booklet dude, goes along way when you look at the wiring diagrams, or i can ship you a much "user friendly" australian deck, provided you pay the costs!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 AM

hmmm, i dont think there would be a difference in the decks. i dont have the manual anymore on the deck, probably should have held on to it. I know my JVC el kameleon, my kenwood, and my Jensen all had illuminations, as with any other stereo ive ever installed. Im thinking my dash lights have gone out due to a problem with this wire somehwere, i need to go behind the dash again and troubleshoot some more, its getting very repeditive and aggrivating but i guess its worth it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 AM

yeah sure is anooying having to tune into radio stations and skip songs everytime you start the car, good luck with it bro, i know how crappy it is to go and pull a dash center out did it to mine 20 or thirty times just to match things up, retrim and fab stuff up lol.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 AM

lmfao i wish i could even do that, i have to replace the power antenna before i can even get radio stations hehe. My car isnt too great right now, but thats why i joined these forums, to talk to other people with the same kind of car to give and take advice on what to do when stuff goes bad. I just want to let all of you that have responded to my posts that i appreciate your help.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 AM

Yeah my power antenna broke the plastic doohicky linkage thingamajig that makes it go up and down, pulled it apart to see how broken it was and in the end the thing went in the rubbish, out with the old Manual up/down and yeah shes all good now.

My zeds a work in progress also dude!

Gotta msn i can add you too? will be good to talk with someone else with the same problems and same car with the same ideas
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 AM

yeah man you can get a hold of me at strykerbnr@hotmail.com
yahoo is saviandcharlie
aim is strykerbnr

lol i dunno if you will get much help out of me though bro, i see you guys discussing stuff like limited-slip differentials, frickin crossovers, and displacements, you guys lose me on that stuff lol, i guess i have a lot to learn
Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 AM

Well ive just pulled the whole engine out and stuff and am learning about the zed so if you need any help on it i can help you if need be, i know alot about other cars, but now its time to learn the insides and outs of a z31 hands on.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 AM

hopefully i can learn alot from you guys here in the forums, and eventually know enough to get my hands in on the engine too. First project for me is to get my 31 turbocharged, no matter how much money and time it takes, i want to say i was able to get it done.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 AM

yeah mine was turbo'ed factory, now its time to add a bigger turbo lol.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 AM

lol just my luck, the z i buy is NA with GL trim lol. Oh well, its still a z
Old 09-14-2005, 04:36 AM

Too true lol, ive done a few mods to mine, Standalone ECU (Microtech), 550 cc injectors, 3" zorst, Apexi pod, 600 mm intercooler, Ported heads, custom cam grind, and 12 psi boost runs it down the quater mile at 13.3 @109 MPH

Pulled engine out to put new forged pistons in and weld up a new turbo exhaust manifold. Then add some new ignition and a new LSD and hope to run low 12's/high 11's on slicks
Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 AM

lol man, how much do you think you have put into it??? maybe if i drop around 5 grand into the engine my car might get a little faster . im going to make this my project car, and upgrade it slowly, part by part.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM

you still have it hooked up wrong. read the instructions on the stereo's manual as well. you've hooked the power wires up all wrong.

Quick Reply: Nissan Z31 300ZX Aftermarket Stereo Installation Guide