300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

replaced tail light sensor, bulbs, fuses brake lights work but not as running light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM

replaced tail light sensor, bulbs, fuses brake lights work but not as running light

replaced tail light sensor, bulbs, fuses brake lights work but not as running light ... if the brake light is working but the running light isn't could the problem be at the brake pedel ... everything works but running light ... tried testing wires and such I just can't seem to find problem ... any other suggestions?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:26 PM
The Good Twin

Do you have the bulbs in backwards? Do you have the 2 filament bulbs?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
check your light bulb--does it have both filaments working?????
sometimes only 1 part breaks----check your brake light switch, under the pedal--perhaps the disc slipped and makes your brakelites stay on and drain your battery------check your ground and relay and fuses.

good luck
Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Once you do all that, check the headlight switch.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:31 PM

If when I press the brake pedal both lights go on, how could they be hooked up wrong or wrong bulbs and if the disc behind the brake pedal was at fault how come the lights go on when I press the pedal and go off when i release ... everything works except when I turn on the car headlights the tail lights brake/running lights do not light up so maybe it's the head light switch like azbum said, but what part is it do i have to replace the stalk off the steering wheel where the switch is or is there a wire connector behind the dash or in the steering wheel
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
The Good Twin

Man... all that didn't make much sense.

Originally Posted by Turbo86
If when I press the brake pedal both lights go on, how could they be hooked up wrong or wrong bulbs
When you say both lights go on... which lights are you talking about??? Both sides, or both the tail & brake lights??? And if it's not working right... why do you think something WOULDN'T be wrong???

and if the disc behind the brake pedal was at fault how come the lights go on when I press the pedal and go off when i releasel
So your brake lights work fine... Again I ask, do you have the double filament bulbs in?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM

I found this on the net AZZbum is prob. right ... how do you remove that little stalk switch?

"Question -
I have a 1986 nissan 300zx and I can't get the taillights to work. I've tried changing the fuses and the llight bulbs. someone said there might be a second fuse box. I don't know what to do and it's driving me nuts. Please Help!"

"Answer
Darren,

If it is the instrument lights and the tail lights the master switch needs to be replaced. That is the one that turns on the headlights. It does the turn signals and the running lights as well as the dash lights and the headlights. There are contacts in there that wear out. Remember it is 20 years old. The switch is under $100 bucks and is an easy job with a phillips screwdriver. You do not even have to take the steering wheel off."
Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 PM

This link will work for you if you're registered at 300zxclub.com

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=78000

If you NOT registered .. well you know what to do ..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 AM

Man... all that didn't make much sense.

Quote:
If when I press the brake pedal both lights go on, how could they be hooked up wrong or wrong bulbs

When you say both lights go on... which lights are you talking about??? Both sides, or both the tail & brake lights??? And if it's not working right... why do you think something WOULDN'T be wrong???

Quote:
and if the disc behind the brake pedal was at fault how come the lights go on when I press the pedal and go off when i releasel

So your brake lights work fine... Again I ask, do you have the double filament bulbs in?
yes they are 1157 double filament bulbs ... there are 2 lightbulbs a piece in each brake light/running light section the long top corner lights ... all four light bulbs illuminate when I press the brake pedal but they do not illuminate when I turn on the headlights as running lights ... are you trying to say to me that each filament has a different function like one for brake and one for running? I was thinking now that it might be in the headlight switch.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:09 AM

Are the rest of the corner lights coming on? If not, then it's the switch. If so, then it's the sensor.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:39 PM

well back up lights work and the hazards work and the left right signals work ... and I replaced the sensor with a new one ... still same problem ... I just noticed the license plate lights don't work along with running lights, they're on the same ciruit right? ... maybe it's just part of the switch that's faulty
Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 PM

How to replace Headlight switch

http://www.xenonz31.com/How_To/Headl...eadlights.html

Follow the link and your problem will be solved.