300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Has anybody rebuilt headlight motors?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Red face Has anybody rebuilt headlight motors?!?

I'm curious what a reman for these actually is. CARid has them for roughly 90 USD and the ones I've found on eBay are all "known good when pulled".

on the same note, I'm almost positive it's the actual motor, not the relay on the motor, the fuse, the switch, or the little black box by the passenger side front strut mount (idk what the name for that is).

My passenger side light works as it should. flips up with the button on dash, and multi-function switch. the Driver side does not (button, MF switch or turning hi's on), but both lights work, hi and lows.

I pulled the bracked and motor out to test everything, so i could eliminate it being a rusted pivot and remove load on it. Is there a way i can plug power directly into the motor to test? i think that's the only thing i didn't. I had other relays to check with and know they click, 5 to be exact, all worked.

I also had 2 motors i pulled from an...87 i believe? but the pin connectors were different... My 86 NA GLL has a 8 pin connections, using 7 of them, these other 2 i have use a 6 pin connection. any info on these, if i can use them, or repin them to work?

On the bright side, i found my chrome trim and a really nice, not cracked at all set of tail lights for my fairlady, under 60$ pulled by yours truly

as usual, thanks for all any help, and yes, i have a good battery and alt. freshly installed.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 PM

can you still plug it in unbolted ? thats the easiest way to test , watch out though things are like a mechanical guillotine !
as for can you make it work ? look on the FSM what does the 7 wire have that the 6 does not .
you aren't dealing with nissan here: hitachi ,or tokeko , mitsubishi or other vender made stuff like this and they went to some lengths to stop you from switching to others part . kindof like how general _otors .Ferd made theirs to fail quickly ,

if you turn the manual adjust ment **** it still will not close ? that was a way to see if it was in adjust ment ,binding ... ahem ....rusted up
did you disconnect the arm from the mtr. and the lite works easy fully thru up and down ? does the mtr , work disconnected from the lite ?

I think most of the motors mid 80,s have a SS power reg built into the mtr that limits the amps like window mtrs , so you cant easily smoke the mtr

@ 70 an hour it did not really pay to try to repair the motor unit ,just replace

Last edited by 86tcoupe; 09-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:05 AM

currently it sits in the bay unbolted and plugged in. the motor works smooth through the entire motion if done with the hand **** on the back of it.

the lamp lid arm is disconnected as well, and the motor does not move under it's own power, as far as i can tell after running through what i described prior.

I looked at one on CarID and they couldn't tell me if their reman was a 6 or 7 pin connection, so i guess that's where my searching will start.