300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Z31 will crank but no spark

Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Z31 will crank but no spark

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I bought a 1986 Nissan 300zx 2+2 NT about a month ago and I haven't driven it yet. It sat for about a year prior to my purchase. The car turns over nice and strong, but I'm not getting spark. I've replaced the ignition coil and the crank angle sensor. Also, new cap and rotor. I don't know where to go from here. I'm not to smart when it comes to electronics and computers and all that. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know how or where to read the ECU and thought about replacing it. In need of some help. Thanks. I'll post pictures of her at a different time.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

get a multimeter for a start. then download the fsm from xenonzcar. Read up on your car. the crank angle sensor is in the dizzy. are you getting voltage to the coil? voltage to injectors. here is some general advice:
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car in the rear. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 AM

1984 2 by 2 auto non turbo with vg30e with 81k

Mechanic sold me the car for a customer ,a week before I bought the car the mechanic started it to leave it run to charge the battery it was on a friday, he forgot to shut it off and it ran for hours until it was out of gas so it's hard to tell if it ran all weekend but now Pin #6 on the ecu not grounding EFI relay and not getting ground to fuel relay ,getting power to coil but know spark car turns over no spark when ignition is off the green and red LED LIGHTS stay on .Bought a new ecu but still same problem every now and then it will get spark every 4 or 5 revolutions of the engine can someone please give me some advise in what it could be ,I was told years ago if you leave the ignition in it could burn the ignition system but don't know if that's true thanks
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Do you have an factory alarm system on it ?
as thats the way they operate , could be the ecu you got is an alarm one
check all the sensors with an ohmmeter
check trouble codes 1st...get someone to show you

Last edited by 86tcoupe; 04-15-2018 at 12:55 PM.