300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

What wheels and tires are you running

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM

What wheels and tires are you running

I have the stock Nissan turbo alloys ,man they are heavy ...forged ?
with 215 60 Vr16 on front and 225 60 vr 16 rear.. bridgestone Turzana take off's from a car but I likes um.
they drive a heck of a lot easier than the 50 series that were on it . They drove good but on a stretch of the high way that was rippled it was all you could do to hang on to it.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates.

If you do the above won't matter what tires you got on it because when things are shot the z31 wallows down the road like a drunk pig.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 AM

No.. it was the tires The front end is stock but tight I was an alignment tech at Nissan for a decade. this was on a heavily traveled hiway, where the asphalt had gaulded from heat and trucks .

I really enjoy it With the adjustible suspension for all around driving ,which may not suit you if you race around constantly- you know who you are .
new fork oil fixed my stock shocks front and rear it was easy to do .
what tires you running Rogerz?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Rebuild old shocks

I haven't looked in the FSM, but I wasn't aware the adjustable stock turbo shocks could be serviced. You changed the oil ? Did you change oil viscosity at all ? I wonder if coil overs or any other mods have been attempted with the adjustable shocks. Reason I ask is I have an 86 turbo I might part out or restore, still on the fence.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM

you are right the rears are sealed PredatorZ . but a carefully drilled hole 3/16" at/near the top fixes that. They likely were gas filled at one time but mine were not then , carefull not to get a metal chip inside . After cleaning out the burnt watery oil with brake cleaner I filled with tractor hydro fluid and sealed with a rubber grommet the lipped kind , coated with RTV no problems .

the fronts , you know remove the cap , the same ,I purchased new caps for in 96(? ) I had one frt. actuator inop but working with it and/or the wiring got it going .
the motor cycle shops have different viscosities oil but with my adjustable hard is good and tight

Last edited by 86tcoupe; 05-14-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Motorcycles

Back in the day I had added air caps and new oil to my Honda, with a splitter T equalizer line between the two, I experimented with different viscosity oils. I wonder if adding an air line to where you drilled out with a t to connect the two, for easy filling and use a hand pump to put a pew psi in them to tune them ? Think it might be doable ? On the adjust-ability of the Z31 turbo shocks, what is the range of adjustment that you have ?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM

My understanding was the gas pressure (nitrogen) was to help cool the oil . but yes you could.
The shaft seals showed seapage not a badleak .
the adjustable shock action has a 3 pos **** on the center console S M H
i got to say it is one of the neat-ist features on a performance car.
S is very spongy but okay on a smooth rd. M is what I usually keep it at H is great for track like driving and helps body roll in hard cornering and takeoff squat
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Thanks

Thanks 86Coupe, exactly what I wanted to know. Very cool stock option back in the day. Definitely some room for modification too ! Again thanks you spot on answered my questions !