300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

What should I go for next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM

What should I go for next?

Okay so I have an 88 N/A and I rebuild the engine about 2 months ago. When I put the engine in it ran fine but about a month ago it started running bad so I tested the fuel pressure and checked all the plugs for spark both tested good. I cleaned the MAF and checked the vacuum lines and they all seemed good. I replaced The O2 sensor,PCV,Coil,wires,plugs,fuel filter,CHTS,distributor cap,and the Coolant temp sensor. When I replaced the O2 sensor the car started to run great and has been doing so until today. I was driving down the road not 1/4 of a mile from my house and the car cut off with no sputter or couch at all. It just died and woould not start again. I ran a ECU diagnostics and got code 21 (Ignition Signal malfunction) so i replaced the ignition control module since it is the only part of the ignition system that has not been replaced. When i installed the new ICM the car started but will not stay started. When it does stay started it runs like crap and bogs down when I give it throttle. What can make it do this? I was wondering if it could be the idol air control valve. I am stumped and any help is appreciated!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

recheck your fuel pressure. recheck your spark. Never depend on old data these cars have stuff go bad. doubt the idle air control is problem. could be fpr went south. pull the vac hose off the top and see if fuel comes out (it shouldn't). pull the cover on the maf look for burnt spots and give it the sniff test. check the maf per the fsm. don't depend on the codes at the age of these cars is isn't very reliable nor helpful.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 AM

did you get it going ?
May be flooded ? does it smell strong of gas when cranking ? best to pull the plugs to see I had techs work for hours trying different components ,ect. only to get it to fire up and smoke up the whole shop with gas .
if not and getting spark and normal fuel pressure you really need a breakout box( dealer item but very few have or want to mess with these days ) hooked up to test the FI components , maybe a logic probe could help test