300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Oil filter nipple removal

Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Oil filter nipple removal

I purchased a remanufactured long block engine and when I was checking it over, I found out that the oil filter threaded nipple was missing. Therefore, I needed to take the one out of the old engine and reuse it. I did not want to damage the threads by putting a pair of pliers onto the nipple. I had used the following process, many times before when I could not get a threaded stud out; such as a stud on an engine manifold, This method is used after allowing penetrating fluid has soaked the threads, or heating up the area around the stud). In this particular case, there was limited thread height which required purchasing 2 "Jamb nuts" or "half nuts". They are approximately 1/2 the height of a normal nut or a "Full nut". The thread size was 3/4' inch - 16 (threads/inch). After spinning both of these nuts onto the threaded portion of the stud, one nut is turned CCW and the other is turned CW, so the nuts are tightened up against one another very tight, causing the nuts to stretch the threads ever so slightly, locking the 2 nuts in place on the stud. Then a wrench is put onto one of the nuts and turned CCW (right hand threads) to loosen it. After you are finished repairing the existing stud or replacing it with a new one, use the same procedure for tightening the stud into place then remove the Jamb nuts.

BTW, If you have enough stud thread height, it is better to use full nut . Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6397.jpg   Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6390.jpg   Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6392.jpg   Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6396.jpg   Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6399.jpg  

Oil filter nipple removal-dscn6402.jpg