300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

no right headlight or tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 AM

no right headlight or tail lights

Okay so I have no Taillights, and my right head light doesn't work in my 88 300zx. All turning signals and brake lights work but not the right head light or taillights. I checked the fuses and relays and they appear to be fine. I was gonna try taking the steering wheel off and cleaning the light switch but that's all I could think of.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 PM

When I put my AE dash back together, I did not reconnect the turn signal switch tightly..and I got all sorts of funky light issues. Had a heart attack until I checked it..plugged it in tight and viola!

I hope you nail it..in my experience that plug is key to lights functioning properly.
Perhaps follow the cable to the opposite end as well and make sure all connectors are clean.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 PM

There are complete electrical diagrams in your factory service manual (XenonZ31 Reference) and they can be traced on large 11x17 print outs using colored markers. Yeah, takes time.

Assuming all your fuses are good, the issue is usually dirty or corroded harness connections, especially anywhere under the hood. Inside the dash, too, if you live anywhere near salt water. The trick is to trace each step in the harness from the light control stick on the steering column to the headlights/other lights that aren't working right. Separate the connectors, test with a multimeter, key at 'on' position, spray corrosion cleaner/brush connectors, dry, retest and reconnect. For the lazy headlight, I would start there at the front and work back to the control.

Wish there was a short cut! But you may get lucky and find it fast.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donn144
When I put my AE dash back together, I did not reconnect the turn signal switch tightly..and I got all sorts of funky light issues. Had a heart attack until I checked it..plugged it in tight and viola!

I hope you nail it..in my experience that plug is key to lights functioning properly.
Perhaps follow the cable to the opposite end as well and make sure all connectors are clean.
Okay ill try this, thank you.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
There are complete electrical diagrams in your factory service manual (XenonZ31 Reference) and they can be traced on large 11x17 print outs using colored markers. Yeah, takes time.

Assuming all your fuses are good, the issue is usually dirty or corroded harness connections, especially anywhere under the hood. Inside the dash, too, if you live anywhere near salt water. The trick is to trace each step in the harness from the light control stick on the steering column to the headlights/other lights that aren't working right. Separate the connectors, test with a multimeter, key at 'on' position, spray corrosion cleaner/brush connectors, dry, retest and reconnect. For the lazy headlight, I would start there at the front and work back to the control.

Wish there was a short cut! But you may get lucky and find it fast.
Ill look in to this too if the other thing doesnt work. Thanks for the help