300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

No power to radio or CLA, lighting works though

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 AM

No power to radio or CLA, lighting works though

Hey, I just got my second Z31 1986 300ZX N/A, with the digital dash.

What doesn't work;

Gallons of fuel remaining, doesn't light up
Radio; no power at all
Climate control; it works, but it isn't lighting up, I can't see the display in the dark
Cigarette lighter, no power, no voltages when testing with multimeter

What works;
The rest of the dashboard lights up and functions fine
The actual climate control works
Betty bitches
Fuse looks fine, checked the ones in driver side foot well
The green lighting for the radio buttons work, but nothing on the radio display

Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 AM

I would also like to add;

The ring around the cigarette lighter does not light up
The clock I believe keeps resetting. By that, I mean when I got the car the clock was flashing 12:00, I have set it and it's been a few minutes just fine
Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 PM

I took the radio and cla out and looked at the fuse in the radio, it looks fine. All the connectors look fine, too.

The power antennae is also half-up? Doesn't move
Old 01-31-2015, 06:31 PM

Sounds like harness issues to me. I would start with the FSM at XenonZ31 Reference in the electrical diags. Yeah, they're complicated-looking. Get them printed out at 11 x 17 so you can use colored markers to trace the feeds. You get to work in the engine bay AND inside the dash!

Check out your harness runs and where the connectors are. Usually the problem is copper corrosion and grime. (The radio/head unit screw up is suspicious because that's where previous owners got to screw with the harness and start clipping wires 'to make it work right.')

Hunt down all your harness connectors, disconnect, clean (spray corrosion remover), dry, and reconnect them. Check connectivity with your multimeter. When you are sure your harness is all there per your diags and working, clean and tight, then it's time to check fuses and relays - and replace burned-out bulbs. Remember that everything needed to make all your components work right was there originally and used to work right. Some human came along to screw it up - or stuff just wore out. All you have to do is unscrew-up it and replace dead bulbs. Take your time - like the perfectionist you are.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 01-31-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Sounds like harness issues to me. I would start with the FSM at XenonZ31 Reference in the electrical diags. Yeah, they're complicated-looking. Get them printed out at 11 x 17 so you can use colored markers to trace the feeds. You get to work in the engine bay AND inside the dash!

Check out your harness runs and where the connectors are. Usually the problem is copper corrosion and grime. (The radio/head unit screw up is suspicious because that's where previous owners got to screw with the harness and start clipping wires 'to make it work right.')

Hunt down all your harness connectors, disconnect, clean (spray corrosion remover), dry, and reconnect them. Check connectivity with your multimeter. When you are sure your harness is all there per your diags and working, clean and tight, then it's time to check fuses and relays - and replace burned-out bulbs. Remember that everything needed to make all your components work right was there originally and used to work right. Some human came along to screw it up - or stuff just wore out. All you have to do is unscrew-up it and replace dead bulbs. Take your time - like the perfectionist you are.
Those diagrams are really daunting when you first open them. I'll give it a wahck, but I was hoping someone had already had the same problem and wanted to share their fix
Old 01-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Let me think this through; The good news is your dash works. On my 84 I had to replace the damn thing and pulled the dash apart so I am somewhat familiar.

When you say that the gas level does not light up..you mean you do not know what you have in that tank as the bars do not light up and the # of gallons does not show.

In my situation, I always had a blinking dash..I'd whack it and it straightened out. But then it just went out.
When I got the car, the gauges on the right..none of them showed. BUT the gas did.

They often say it is either the Power supply to the dash in particular; poor soldering connections that have broken or corroded. You can pull the PS by pulling the driver knee panel and the PS is silver in about the 1 or 1:30 position from the drivers knees. You can see on ZBUMS site instructions for pulling it. Re solder the joints and this may bring back your gas gauge.

If no power to these other items..here's what happened: Someone pulled the radio and did not stick all the connecters back in place..or one of the plugs did not go all the way in. There are a bunch and they are tightly packed in there..That is why you are missing lights. This should be an easy fix.

I'll put some money down I am correct!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Donn144
Let me think this through; The good news is your dash works. On my 84 I had to replace the damn thing and pulled the dash apart so I am somewhat familiar.

When you say that the gas level does not light up..you mean you do not know what you have in that tank as the bars do not light up and the # of gallons does not show.

In my situation, I always had a blinking dash..I'd whack it and it straightened out. But then it just went out.
When I got the car, the gauges on the right..none of them showed. BUT the gas did.

They often say it is either the Power supply to the dash in particular; poor soldering connections that have broken or corroded. You can pull the PS by pulling the driver knee panel and the PS is silver in about the 1 or 1:30 position from the drivers knees. You can see on ZBUMS site instructions for pulling it. Re solder the joints and this may bring back your gas gauge.

If no power to these other items..here's what happened: Someone pulled the radio and did not stick all the connecters back in place..or one of the plugs did not go all the way in. There are a bunch and they are tightly packed in there..That is why you are missing lights. This should be an easy fix.

I'll put some money down I am correct!
So for the digital dash, the fuel bars light up, it's the number of gallons left that doesn't

For the radio, it's all OEM. I pulled it yesterday and inspected the connectors, no one has even removed the stock harness. This car was a 1-owner deal, old lady, probably never even turned the radio on. I verified everything was fit and snug. Considering there's no power to the radio OR cigarette lighter, I think it's something else
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 AM

Sorry to say I have zero experience with the Z31 digital dash. All my dashes have been or are analog. I know that over 29 years (well, after year 24, say) every once in a while something will stop working or stop lighting up on my '86na. I wait for summer and go through the harness. Grime and corrosion are the big deal anywhere near the engine, corrosion and vibration/disconnection inside the dash. Replaced burned bulbs, even the little ones in the gauge cluster and in the 3 separate in-dash gauges.

What's fishy about your issues is that you have indicators that partly work. Gauge works but doesn't light up, or lights up but doesn't work, whatever. It's unlikely that a circuit like that runs through more than one fuse or relay - so my best guess has to be harness connections and burnt bulbs. There's almost nothing you can't check with a good multimeter, ignition 'off' and 'on.' Now, every time I separate a connector, I clean and dry it before reconnecting.

Dash work is a pain but you take it apart and leave it open until you check and clean everything. I have driven my '86na with the dash open. Replaced every bulb in the dash gauges 2 years ago just for the hell of it.

Also for the hell of it, get your battery/alternator system output checked for voltage. Battery sellers do it for free and give you a print out. Z31s go electronically wacky if you feed them less than 14+ volts with engine running. 12v/13v are not enough for a Z31. Replace battery, alternator and/or cables if necessary to get to 14+ volts constant feed to the system.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 02-01-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 AM

So I guess I am out the ten bucks I put down on being correct.

Hmmm. As I say, I did my digital dash..this is how it works:

There are two ends to the connectors; On the drivers side a series of 4 plastic connectors from the harness coming from above..ie from the ports at the top of the gauges. In other words; when you pull the dash out, at the top of the gauges, there are ports into which the harness clips. The harness comes down and swings to the left and winds ups plugging into the ports on the far left, when you pull the driver knee panel off. When you pull those out, you get no readings on the dash.

Try reseating those cables.

But also know that Digital dashes are famous for problems..having said this, the only gauge that worked reliably for me was the fuel. But, again, this could be a bad joint on the PS. This is a known problem.

As Zxguy says, the bulbs should be easy to replace.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM

There are tons of wires in back of the radio and at least 5 cables and plugs..if not more.
I'd try reseating them.

My suggestion as to not scratch us the plastic with the sharp edges of the radio..is put a towel on the shift area so you can rest the radio upon it with out scratching..

Personally, I hated working on the radio..it is packed in so tightly with little wiggle room..but it can be done.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM

I traced back wiring and found some corrosion. Cleaned it up and I now get power to the radio harness and CLA but the radio still won't turn on. I'm chalking this up to a dead radio at this point!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 AM

So, perhaps the corrosion issue is the common theme to the other problems.
There have been nearly 30 years since the car came off the the assembly line and I guess we can say "Weather happens"..hard to know where & when corrosion builds up. In my 84 I also saw some corrosive build up..I attributed the reason the Body Sonic stopped working due to corrosion..but I did not track it down.

Some things remain mysteries. You certainly know your car better than ever as a result of your sleuthing!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 AM

So, perhaps the corrosion issue is the common theme to the other problems.
There have been nearly 30 years since the car came off the the assembly line and I guess we can say "Weather happens"..hard to know where & when corrosion builds up. In my 84 I also saw some corrosive build up..I attributed the reason the Body Sonic stopped working due to corrosion..but I did not track it down.

Some things remain mysteries. You certainly know your car better than ever as a result of your sleuthing!
Yeah, just finiished blasting every single connector in that car. My fingers are sore.

Look's like I need to hunt down a stock radio!
Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Unless you're going down the true purist route, stock radio was kinda crappy. Weak amp, FM with cassette. Hard to find working ones - and they're and no big deal.

There are lotsa aftermarket units to fit. Crutchfield will send you a custom harness to fit your factory head unit wiring and the new head unit you order from them. CD, mp3, iPod, FM/AM. Hard to resist when the dash fit is perfect.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Unless you're going down the true purist route, stock radio was kinda crappy. Weak amp, FM with cassette. Hard to find working ones - and they're and no big deal.

There are lotsa aftermarket units to fit. Crutchfield will send you a custom harness to fit your factory head unit wiring and the new head unit you order from them. CD, mp3, iPod, FM/AM. Hard to resist when the dash fit is perfect.
Yeah I was looking at crutchfield and it's really tempting, but I REALLY want to keep everything stock. The only thing I plan on changing is the color of the digi dash and clusters to red to match the interior, which I'm just waiting on the gels to come in the mail (already got the dash torn apart)

I may eventually cave in
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 AM

Did you pull the whole dash off to get at the cluster?

Lots of fun huh
Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

Did you pull the whole dash off to get at the cluster?

Lots of fun huh
Yep. I'm gonna look at why I get almost no air out of the face-facing vents while it's apart too