300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Needed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Needed or not?

Are Air Injection Valves (AIV) needed or not?

For some reason I thought only turbos had them, but must've been confused with AAC.

I have been fighting to get my z running for the last year after the engine bay wiring harness had an electrical burn/short that basically ruined it.

The latest is that it'll run fine until it warms up and then it'll bog down at highway speeds and not keep a constant speed and will eventually die. I have to crank it over and pump the gas pedal to get it restarted.

Yes, I have shop-made battery cables, good grounds. I've replaced the: ECU, AFM/MAF, CHTS, CAS,FPR, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, O2 sensor, engine bay harness with new connectors, TPS, throttle body, ignition coil, PRM2 mod, and removed/blocked the FICD.

I am getting a code 12 but like rogerz I'm not too confident in the ecu codes. I went through the FSM and the O2 sensor is good, ran out of time to test the CHTS. But I did replace it about 6 months ago, it was an aftermarket one. I also replaced the connector and subharness, also not with Nissan OEM, but just a fuel injector connector and a 2 wire connector from summit racing. I have a Nissan CHTS on order just in case.

I'm also not getting the green/red lights on the side of the ecu to try and fine tune the AFM/MAF, I think it works because I did all the tests from the FSM and it passed. I don't know how tight the connection is, but when I push on it by hand while it's running doesn't make any change in the running condition.

Which leads me to the AIV. Part of the reason that I thought it was only on turbos is because mine is just gone. The PO must've removed it. I don't know if they did it properly. Could this be the reason I can't get my car to run right? Or is it MAF, CHTS like the code is throwing?

I see there is some debate as to whether or not the AIV is needed. If it is needed how do I put it back in? If it is not needed how do I know if the PO removed it properly?

I'll have to wait for my wallet recovers a little bit to order a new driveshaft that I wrote about last week.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Update

I always enjoy when people keep me posted on their successes and failures.

I still don't know whether or not the AIV is needed or not, but after putting in a Nissan CHTS and CHTS connector plus a shock I think I have success.

While I was replacing the CHTS I could see why my last configuration didn't work. The connector that is supposed to go w/ the CHTS is an offset connector. It is not a typical fuel injector connector. I didn't realize that offset connector was even made. I suppose the rest of the Z guru's did know this, but I didn't. Hopefully, my ignorance will help some other newbie who was in my shoe's.

The story doesn't end there. After putting the z back together and taking it for a test spin, I thought I had failed again as it was doing the same thing as before (bogging down on interstate). After coming back home I looked at the ECU codes and I had 11, 13, 21, 41. WORSE THAN BEFORE. So I started the car and was looking over engine bay with my trouble light when I had my arm nearly zapped off.

Long story short, the connector that has the single wire to the distributor was slightly torn. I replaced the wire where cut and put a new connector on it. Went on another test drive and it ran great.

I came back and ran the ECU codes again and for the first time I've had the car I got code 44.

I had to share with you guys since my wife was not as nearly impressed as she should've been. Now hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.