300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Hello, Z car newb

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Hello, Z car newb

Hello everyone! Last week I purchased a 1984 300ZXT anniversary edition from a gentleman in seattle. It is in solid mechanical shape with a relatively clean body and very clean interior. some of the electrical stuff doesn't work, such as the mpg and digital compass gauges, the rear defrost, the bodysonic amps, a few lights in the digital climate control, but otherwise the car runs like a cat on velcro. i am so happy with my new baby and excited to join the z car community, both online and in the portland, oregon area. with your help I will fix all of the little problems myself and get the major stuff taken care of as it arises.

Below is a picture of the Z gassing up after a road trip down to eugene. i haven't had time to detail it, so it's a little dirty. inside is my beautiful girlfriend.

tomorrow i find out if the temperature reads hot when the heat isn't on is because of a thermostat problem or not. also, i may have a cold start ignition problem that will have to be diagnosed.

incidentally, i received a bevy of extra AE parts in the sale of my car. basically the guy sold me everything but the engine, shell, and other major mechanical parts to another AE Z. i will post an ad for all of this in the classifieds and I am a motivated seller (i can't let all this stuff sit around).

Again, happy to join the community and can't wait to get everything on my baby Z fixed up and running smoothly.

i would love to post pictures but i can't figure out how and need to get some rest. drop me a line anytime!

best!
Attached Thumbnails Hello, Z car newb-imag0878.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 PM

welcome to zdriver!
beautiful z man! its great to have another portland,or z driver. i know a few of the electrical problems your having can be fixed by simply changing some fuses and if you digi dash isnt displaying everthing correctly, it may be the power supply which is not very hard to change. the rest you can just look up online
Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 AM
West Coast!

you got the rear fender flares if so pm me with a price very interested.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 AM

Welcome, nice AE. There's a big Nissan meet in Seattle March 27th at Golden Gardens park that's hosted by northwestnissans.com. The North West Z Association representing Z owners from Portland to Bellingham will be attending. Hope to see you and your car there.

http://z31performance.com/forum/view...p?f=17&t=25847

Here's a link with write ups for common problems.

http://www.xenonz31.com/issues.html

Last edited by reddzx; 03-10-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Red, your Z is sick! thanks for the info re: the meetup. If i am around (I live in Portland but work on a pipeline in south central oregon) I will be there! would love to meet people and it sounds like it would be a good place to find buyers for all these extra AE parts that I have.

alas, last night i went to back my Z out of the driveway and couldn't get it into reverse! the mechanic had told me the day before that i needed to replace the clutch but i couldn't feel or hear anything...turns out he was right! $560 to replace the clutch...not too bad in my opinion. i would do it myself but i'm a mechanical newb...i don't even have any tools yet!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

check out the portland z club. bunch of good guys and willing to help out a newbie. If you go to golden gardens get there around 7 AM or you will park about a mile away.