300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Glad to be back, but I need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 AM

Glad to be back, but I need a little help

I am new to this forum as a way of introduction, I used to have an 84 Turbo MT, but that was 20 years ago.. :-(
I just recently purchased a 1986 300zx turbo, MT. The car is more of a project car as it needs lots of love.. I have been reading about stuff to do first, and I understand the timing belt is the most important, so that will be on the short list. This car has the digital everything.. and most of it doesn't work. (side note is a digital dash >> to analog dash conversion even remotely possible) The only real thing that works on the dash is the RPMs, the lights seem dim, and they "flicker". The car drives good other than needing some suspension and tires. I was wondering if I should look into replacing the dash, or would the ECU cause the flickering.. One reason i look at ECU is that the radio doesn't work, and I assume the electro suspension doesn't work (the lights flicker there too).
One thing I would like to get working sooner than later is the drivers power seat, the guy I bought the car from was taller than me and although I can drive and shift "ok" I most certainly perfer to be a little closer.. I have checked all fuses, and I have the fancy Nissan repair manual, but in my quick searches I can't find anything related to the pwr seat. I completely understand this might just be a bad seat motor, but thought I would throw it out there to see if there was some other fuse relay I could check.

Thanks again and I know this has been long. I have access to a lift and other mechanic friends, so I feel pretty confident with most work, but any help in the right direction is appreciated
Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Alot of Qs here. So yes do the timimg belt even if it looks ok. Replace the tensioner and spring bolt/nut and camshaft seals aswell. The Dash can be fixed by removing the Power Supply and resoildering the board. go to XenonZcar.com for great info. Not sure about the power seat.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zuphoria
Alot of Qs here. So yes do the timimg belt even if it looks ok. Replace the tensioner and spring bolt/nut and camshaft seals aswell. The Dash can be fixed by removing the Power Supply and resoildering the board. go to XenonZcar.com for great info. Not sure about the power seat.
Yeah I know sorry about all the Q's.. I did find out if I tap the power supply the dash will work and slowly go out so i am on the lookout for either a power supply or time to resolder the power supply.. I was able to get the power seat forward by taking the pulling the adapter and applying voltage to contacts and found the right one to move the seat forward.. so that means the seat motor is fine, but for some reason it's not getting voltage, and of course I left my voltmeter at work..
My next small thing is the turn signals(state inspection), the hazards work but turn signals don't i read some forum about a turn signal relay, but information on locating said relay was a little vague. I could easily replace the switch but a relay is cheap if I can just find it..
I did get to get out and drive her some today and love that turbo Got to get her right though before I push her to much. :-)

Thanks for at least responding!!