300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Found My Lost Friend Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 PM

Talking Found My Lost Friend Again

Hey Guys!

I used to own a 1984 300zx N/A 2 Seater in Memphis, TN and then sold it after driving it for a year or so for a Lexus Sc300....$11,000.00 later in car purchase + repairs I couldn't take it anymore, and after relocating to Plano, Tx sold it for a mere $1200.00 and got an 89 civic as a daily driver...saved money, and said I want another Z... I never should have sold it to begin with. Well, 3 days ago I bought one!
Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1654.jpg

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1657.jpg

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1671.jpg

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1658.jpg

1986 300zx N/A 2 Seater Base (Maroon and matching interior). 172K miles, no leaks under the engine of any kind and runs great. Cost me $1800.00... was just one huge issue...only the E brake worked lol. After $1,026.00 at Firestone (I am not a mechanic but I am going to learn on my honda in the next few months after I get the Z31 road ready) with a new brake booster and master cylinder with also replacing 2 bulbs, brake fluid, etc. Had to take a taxi up to the place 24 miles away...was a fast 80 bucks lol. But the drive home was awesome.

Some things I will be fixing...

T tops leak..bad... the guy told me he didn't dry it off after the last time it rained which was 2 weeks ago and it rained hard. The carpet on the passenger side was still really wet. I went to Walmart got a hair dryer... 50 foot extension chord, work light, and went to work tonight. I got most of it dry on the passenger side after 5 to 6 hours out there with it. Took out the passenger seat which is torn bad just like the drivers seat and pulled back the carpet carefully after finding all the screws...

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1659.jpg

Found a rust spot under the carpet, and had the pleasure of watching the rusty water ooze out of different places on the metal base plates...so I got smart and blew the hot air in the metal crevices to make water ooze out in different directions so I can mop it up... so it's much dryer now.

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1661.jpg

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1667.jpg

Found My Lost Friend Again-img_1666.jpg

I still have to do the driver's side just in case I got a funny feeling there's some things I can't see.

This car has been beat up and abused, but with a little TLC I can bring it back to full potential! It has a different exhaust on it which I don't like, sounds like a muscle car instead of a finely tuned Nissan Engine, therefor now riced .

Digital dash needs to be fixed, will flicker alot and almost be unreadable as far as the MPH.

Needs new weather stripping for the T Tops which I found on a site so I will have to order those in the next month or two. I changed out the 3 windshield wipers, hatch and front two, to nice rain X ones. I tried filling the resevior with water (Was empty) to test it and I just heard the motor going..and saw no water coming out. I popped the hood and heard leaking... I looked under the car and saw the water pouring through the bottom of the metal on to the parking space like a stream of doom lol. Then I saw a random screw just drilled in to the underside of the car so I am like WTF... but trying to stay hopeful lol.

AC and Heater work just fine..windows work fine...Like I said T Tops leak so I bought a car cover at walmart just to cover my self in case of an unexpected rain that would ruin my hard work lol.

Front right headlamp bulb is out but high beam works. Needs the front bumper to be rescrewed on looks like someone sat on it and is slowly coming out over time... and the front left fender needs to be replaced...dents and rust make it no good... and of course a new paint job.

Timing belt and water pump last changed at 150K miles in 2013 and I am at 172K miles right now, so that's coming up but I have some breathing room for now.

I will take progress pics as I clean and fix it (Cleaned the back hatch space tonight already just no pics yet)... gonna personalize it to my expectations of the true artwork this car is.

I love this car... and should have never sold my 84... so this is my second chance and I will make the most of it.

I am Just glad I found my friend again.

-Tanner
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver and nice find!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver and nice find!!!
Thanks sir!