300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Engine bay hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM

Engine bay hoses

Hey guys,

I am working on replacing the gaskets for my valve covers and i wanted to ask since i have the engine torn mostly down is there a kit i can buy that has precut replacement hoses (ex. vacuum, cooling, vent) hopefully with instructions on where they go to make sure i get everything put back where they are supposed to go? Also since I'm here should i go ahead and spend the money on new fuel injectors and if so which ones? Is there anything else i should do now while i have everything out of the way? This is the first time i have really gone deep in to the this engine and i have to say this has got to be one of the most difficult engines to work on.

btw, I have an 86 2+2 NA

Thanks
Michael
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Theirs no kit for all the crankcase hoses that you pretty much destroy when you take off the valve covers and upper intake. You have to be creative. But some are still available from Nissan. Felpro makes an upper and lower intake gasket kit that works fine for what your doing. Are you just working on the top of the engine? nothing around the timing belt?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Well we originally went in because the water pump was leaking and change the front crank bearing seal because i have an oil leak that we are having a hard time locating because everything on the lower part of the engine is covered in oil and dirt and general nastiness. While we where in there we decided to replace the timing belt. and at some point the right side cam shaft pulley got turned so we had to pull the valve covers off so we could loosen the rocker arms and realign everything. The right side of the engine (the passenger side of the car) was easy to get the valve cover off but the left side of the engine was a pain to get off because we had to pull the phylum off the top and the compressor out to get to the screws to get the valve cover off. Which some of the screws were barely hand tight and that valve cover was covered in the same amount of oil and general nastiness that the lower end of the engine is so i am almost certain that was my oil leak. So where i am right now is, I have decided to sandblast and repaint my valve covers because they are so nasty i cant clean all the oil off. along with the trim piece that covers the phylum because again "well since I'm here......". I would also like to replace all my hoses. and also since I'm here i didn't know if it would be worth it to just go ahead and replace my fuel injectors. My thought behind all of this is I'm not going to replace something and a few days after i get everything put back together that thing is going to break and I'm going to be back in there replacing it.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Well usally when a z31 owner changes the timing belt and water pump they change the CHTS and Sub Harness as well. Its just another one of those things thats easyer to change"while you in there" and is a common part that fails. DID you replace the CAM shaft seals when you did the timing belt? Thats a very common place oil will leak from when the seals get old a hard. As for the injectors...just check to make sure the fuel injector campaign was done on the car in the past. Youll notice that all the injectors are tied together on each side of the engine, and there will be a yellow stripe on the harness. I see no need to change the injectors unless you suspect you have some bad ones. There probely not cheap either.