300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Automatic Air conditioning help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Automatic Air conditioning help!!

I'm a new owner of a 87 300zx turbo and love it. I am having issues understanding this air conditioning unit and cant seem to find a thread specifically to my problem. the only thing that blows actual air is the manual defrost button above the unit. when i turn the unit on, the display turns on(backlight on it doesnt work but you can see the display turn on) but no air blows, i can hear the system work but the only problem is that it wont actually blow air.

there is not a belt to the air compressor, but that doent mean that there shouldnt be air flow, right?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

there is no AIR compressor. there is an air conditioner compressor that compresses freon. You need to have vacuum to the dash for the HVAC system to work. the hoses usually rot or the PO just pulled them out because they had no understanding of the working of the car either. download the fsm from Xenon and read how the system is supposed to work. You may have a fuse out in the circuit to the HVAC blower. Take the schematic from the FSM down to kinkos and have them blow it up to 11x17. Much easier to read unless you are a keen eyed twenty something.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Air flow happens when your under-dash blower (above your passenger's feet) is working and your in-dash dampers are directing the flow where you want. Your in-dash dampers work via your vacuum hoses telling your damper actuators to open and close. Your vacuum hoses are all replaceable (they rot and split over time) and connect to their vacuum source, most likely that cylindrical pump just behind your right headlight. I would check that pump for vacuum output strength - at this point - and then trace and replace all the vacuum hoses one at a time. Use Thumper's guide: Vacuum Lines

You only need a belt operating your compressor if you want chilled air. Otherwise, your air distrib system should work as you direct it by the controls on the dash, whether your compressor is connected or not.

Please report back! We like the input...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Soo this is the break down of what i did to the unit. i turned on the unit and raised and lowered the temperature setting, i can hear all the doors open and close as you mess with the temp. when the display shows that it is set to blow through the front vents, i press the manual def button. instantly the unit shuts down and the fan begins to blow. for a split second air blows out the front vents because that was the last setting they were on set by the unit, and you can feel the air move back up to the defrost vents. so that tells me that all the doors work as they should. the only problem is that the unit itself does not start the blower.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM

the system, i believe is the same as others and will not operate the blower until the heater core is up to temp. so you don't have cold air blowing , mine does and it takes a while .
see if you by pass the controls if the motor works also try highest setting speed
Old 03-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

zxguy I hear the former pink lady is now residing in Tacoma

86T is right about the temp switch atop the water control valve firing up the HVAC jump the wires of the temp switch and see what happens
Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Ok so im gonna be honest and say that this is my first car that ive owned. ive never worked under a hood of a car till i bought my 300z. and ive learned alot. what do you mean by jumping the wires of the temp switch??
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
zxguy I hear the former pink lady is now residing in Tacoma

86T is right about the temp switch atop the water control valve firing up the HVAC jump the wires of the temp switch and see what happens

I live in Tacoma, who is the "pink lady"?