300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

86z wont start no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Unhappy 86z wont start no fuel pressure

hay guys i got out the old z after winter an tried to fire her up an it cranks but no start. i tried changing the fuel filter but that didnt work, so i toke the line off the filter and had buddy hit the key. its not shooting any gas threw but has gas in the line. i did have a problem before parking it, where it would just bog whenever you hit the gas but would atleast start, any ideas on the problem or where to start on checking
Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM

If fuel isn't going through the line, have you checked to see if your fuel pump is getting power? That's where I would start, since that's what pushes the fuel through.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:43 PM

ok illstart there but by anychance do u know where to follow back the wires from the pump the car sat from 96 till i bought it last year so i figured i should check to see if the wires got any bad spots it , also where is the fuel pump relay i got one but cant for the life of me find the relay spot for it
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Off the top of my head, no, but most likely there won't just be a break in the wire. It will either be a ground, a relay, or the power supply. all the locations will be in the FSM which you download for freesies right here: XenonZ31 Reference

But definitely start with seeing if power is getting to the fuel pump. You should be able to hear a buzzing/whining noise if it is working, when you turn the key to "on" it should prime for a period of time.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

seems as tho you are too lazy to download the fsm from xenon and expect us to spoon feed you the answer. Your post is of the "I tried nothing and it still doesn't work" ilk.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:23 PM

i checked the wires an they were unplugged an i felt really dumb lol but plug it back in an its getting fuel somtimes the pump only kicks on every few times i turn the key also i changed the fpr and the maf an noticed some improvement itll rev now but then cuts off could this possibly be the fuel pump relay going bad or being gummed up?

an car does have a new battery an terminals are those cheapy autozone ones (came with the car) but seems to be doing ok on power cus it does fire up just wont stay running more than a few seconds an sorry if it sounded liek i wanted to be spoon fed info i have been reading up on these cars the last 3 years ive been messing with them but this things got me all messed up with this problem
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Check voltage at the pump. If the pump is consistently getting the correct amount of voltage, then it's the pump itself. If the pump isn't getting voltage then go and check if the correct voltage is going into, and out of the relay. If it's going in right, but not coming out right, then it's the relay.

Also with the battery, just because it starts up does not mean it has all the power it needs, it may still not be able to withstand the load.