300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

'86 Turbo electronic suspension help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 AM

'86 Turbo electronic suspension help...

This past week I put my 1986 turbo (5 speed) on the road and it's the first car I have driven with a turbo and with electronic adjustable suspension. The suspension is all original and it works and I totally dig being able to adjust the suspension as I drive with a switch.

The adjustable suspension doesn't seem to get any love, but; I must say I really like it and really want to keep it.

So....it's working fine but I know in the future it will eventually have problems and when that happens I want to be able to keep it/fix and will spend the money to do so.

So....any thoughts or suggestions regarding this system and fixing it instead of replacing it would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 AM
The Good Twin

IIRC, it costs more to replace the stock components than to upgrade to aftermarket. I guess it would be worth the extra $$$ if the car is being restored to OEM stock and will sit on a Nissan showroom floor. Otherwise it's a waste of your hard earned money.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

stick to ATVs your suspension is shot and you don't know it. Ask yourself - Does it wander a flat open highway like a drunken pig. Does the rear end hit the ground when you jump on the gas. Probably your bushings are gone also. That suspension is 29 years old If you really want to enjoy a good handling car do the following:

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car in the rear. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates.

Like Nismo said dollars!!! unless your real name is Jay Leno and you can throw 150-160K at a car (someone else does the work also).

Last edited by rogerz; 12-28-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:38 PM

Roger thanks. I have done everything on the car from clutch to timing belt to hoses drive belts valve covers ac compressor and condenser oil seals water pump entire braking system had the rims redone and put bf goodrich sport come 2 tires on it which by the way are terrific. The interior is 100% with a new Bluetooth stereo and speakers. I've cleaned any rust which there was very little surface and undercoated the whole car. The car is 100% with 80,000 miles. Now what's left is the suspension. Next month I will put the car indoors and do the suspension all in a week (which will include repainting the crossmember and other suspension pieces. I have the whole pro thane bushing kit and new the tie rods and ball joints and I think I will get new springs.
However I really really like being able to adjust the dampening as I drive and the adjustable shocks are all working fine-for now. So I am going to leave the shocks in place.
I'd like to have on hand now the shock rebuild kits or replacement shocks in case I have a problem with the system.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM

I like my adjustable shocks (strut) too atv so I support your wanting to keep it that way
I was able back in the 90s to get new cap seals for mine and replaced fluid frt. And rear used tracker hyrdo fluid

I cut down the frt springs slightly lowering half inch
I think I had connection problems at 1 frt shock and covered wire and connection with solder my ride is occasional ride kind of a toy though.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:52 AM

Thanks 86t, and what exactly was the fluid you used? I'm searching out to see if I can get replacement shocks or the shock rebuild kits from Nissan though I've been told they are discontinued. I'm also trying to get hold of a turbo adjustable shock to dissect and figure out a way to rebuild them.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:50 AM

I just used hydraulic fluid from tractor supply , some use cycle fork oil or Nissan may still sell it. On mine soft is quite soft but nice for very rough roads, med just right for normal driving, and firm right for performance tightens roll too
There is nothing to really rebuild you would need a new shock other than the cap seals . Maybe they made a replaceable piston ring seal back in the day ?
The rears I drilled a 3/16"hole at the top to drain the fluid and refill. in summer that fluid thins/ burns quickly
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Really! So....you have managed in essence to rebuild and keep using the adjustable shocks? What do you mean I would need I new shock?

One source said the original Nissan shock fluid was Pentosine. I'm going to try and get some. Once I get to dissect an adjustable shock I'm confident I can get any seals or o-rings even from other than an automotive supplier. I've worked with seals and o-rings and gaskets for decades in different industries.

Like you said the soft setting is great for highway as I will be spending an hour on a highway this afternoon and then when I get off the highway I have to travel on these twisty country roads where I will put the setting in firm WITH THE TURN OF A SWITCH and zip around those corners. The firm setting is perfect for that.
I really really like the system and am surprised everyone seems to discard it without any efforts to salvage it.
If I come up with any ideas I'll let you know. BTW if your digital clock light bulb is out I have one to spare for you. They where hard to find.
Jim

Last edited by AtvJim; 12-30-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 AM

The only seal in the shock besides the custom molded cap seal is the piston teflon ring seal and a O Ring that keeps fluid seeping up the cap threads, if it works presently I would see to find new seal caps shock covers would be a good idea too and new fluid of course a re the rears good ?
I drilled a 3/16" hole at the top then drained and cleaned and filled . To seal I used a grommet .
Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks! Everything seems good but then this turbo is new to me. When I switch from soft to normal to firm I can definitely feel a difference. None of the little lights on the switch which indicate a failure are lit. Only the green S N and F switches light.
Next month I will be putting the can indoors for a week or two to do all the bushings tie rods and springs- the entire suspension system. I can get stock rear springs, but I haven't found any replacement springs for the front struts.
Any thoughts?
Any way to test/be sure the whole electronic adjustable suspension system is 100%?
I bought the car from the original owners in California. They babied the car, it's in great shape, no accidents or rust and only 80,000 miles-gll with 5 speed, elctronic dash and leather package.
I appreciate your input and any other ideas are most welcome.
Jim