300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

$950 for 50AE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Question $950 for 50AE?

I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking around it and others for awhile now researching this car. The VIN matches and it is a 1984 50th AE 300ZX. There is some minor surface rust on some trim panels, a few minor dents. Only major rust is near the back underside, fairly common and not structural. It needs new struts and tires all the way around, but I was planning on replacing those regardless. The digi-cluster doesn't work, which is a bummer, and the radio won't stay on. He was originally asking $1500, but he dropped it to $1000 because he need to get it out of his friends garage so they could work on some honda they just bought. The price we agreed on was $950 and he would provide transport to storage for me.
What do you guys think? Is that a fair deal? This is my first time buying a project car, and my first time buying a car in general. I'm just very nervous because I don't want to regret this. Guess I'm just hoping for some assurance that I'm not overpaying.

Thanks for anyone who pitches in.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Buy it

Sounds like a good project, we will help as much as possible. post some pics if you can
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM

I'll get some pic up soon. Just need to upload them to flickr.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Definitely a steal of a deal. Working or not, as long as it's not completely rusted out or has been hacked up electronically, it's always a sound deal.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 PM

It's actually running, though rough. He's thinking timing is off when he reinstalled the engine. I'm not to concerned though since I plan on tearing the engine down and rebuilding it. Electronically, everything seems good. The only issues are the digi-cluster and the radio, but I planned on putting in an aftermarket radio so I don't mind. And I've seen the clusters go for $250 on ebay.

But I'm glad to know this is a good deal, it's definitely easing the first time buying nerves.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 PM

The car looks nicer in person, but you can see where a majority of the aesthetic damage is.

Just a small dent, should be easily removed.

It's missing the wing, and it's evident it was removed since it still has the mounting holes. I'm not sure about the louvers, I've seen 50AE with and without them...

Some minor rips in the seat, debating finding a 50AE replacement or just going full aftermarket... But I'm curious as to see how the body sonics system is!

Not sure whether it's rust, or his story is true that something fell on it during transport.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM

pics

You can post directly to ZDriver, I wasn't able to view them.

If your EFI harness connectors need replacing check out the kit Fricfrac put together, much better quality over oem, nice silicone seal on the wire end, and a nice easy release wire clip, I upgraded my 280zx, all the connectors are the same on injectors and a few of the sensors. My engine has seen a lot of miles and heat, the wires going to my injectors were hard and fused to the copper, many impossible to strip, so a lot of mine I cut back a good 10 inches to get a fresh copper wire. My car runs a lot better now, but mine were in really shabby shape, a few tie wrapped to help stay on, sad sight, now 100% solid, changed the MAF/MAP connector also, as part of the kit.

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/sale-v...aps-etc-34456/
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 PM

0 for 50AE?-300zx-iso-front.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-front2.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-iso-front2.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-rear.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-interior.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-engine.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-damage.jpg

0 for 50AE?-300zx-dent.jpg
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Looks pretty straight

Looks like its in pretty good body wise, have you looked underneath on the lower door frame and the floors ? Any rust ? I'd say even if you did find some rust, its a great car. We love to see another Z in the hands of an enthusiast who is willing to put the time and effort into restoring it.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 AM

I have a set of digital clusters I could sell for cheap. Just gotta dig them up. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
Looks like its in pretty good body wise, have you looked underneath on the lower door frame and the floors ? Any rust ? I'd say even if you did find some rust, its a great car. We love to see another Z in the hands of an enthusiast who is willing to put the time and effort into restoring it.
Yeah, I checked it out yesterday. The unibody is in great shape! There is some rust on the lower door panels, where it says "turbo." But it seems to be surface rust. There is some serious rust in the back, it's on the floor panels I think. It's annoying, but hey, it can be fixed.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Delecroix
I have a set of digital clusters I could sell for cheap. Just gotta dig them up. I'll keep you posted.
Awesome! Let me know when you find them!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM

I got my Z for less. But I have a 2+2 5 speed, 1985. Your turbo car with digi cluster is worth more than mine. It's a great deal, and you should buy it. I hope you have fun!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Alright, this might be a stupid question, but one that was raised while reading another post. The guy was asking what motor he had and someone mentioned how the VG30ET said "Turbo 3000" on them while the VG30E just said "3000." The engine that is in my car (well, soon to be mine) just says "3000." I know he took the engine out to replace seals and gaskets, but I doubt he replaced the turbo engine with a non-turbo. (I mean, if he had a non turbo, why buy this car just for the turbo version?)
Like I said, this is probably stupid, but jst curious and couldn't find an explanation elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Look down inside and see if the turbo is in the engine bay then. Some people use the NA engine and throw on the turbo goodies when they can, as it makes more power than the standard VG30ET motor due to the compression ratio.

Edit: I will take a look for the digital cluster, as I have the power supply and two gauge pods. It must be at my storage, and since we are hit with a snow storm today, it will have to wait until tomorrow sadly. I'll keep you posted though.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM

5 lug wheels

One reason to get a turbo chassis, even if you only have an NA motor is for the better 5 lug hubs, getting away from the 4 bolt hubs on the older NA's gives you a lot more options as far as tires and wheels. I will have such a car, I found a turbo shell ($400), no motor and I have a totaled NA with a low miles engine. Not the coolest setup, but it is what it is, and adding a turbo down the road is always an option.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM

But does this mild difference definitely mean I don't have the original turbo engine? I mean, if it's still properly turbocharged I'm happy, just curious. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to the car to go and see if has the turbo is in place. But I've seen the turbo downpipe since that's the extent of it's exhaust system...
Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM

Eh, I'll find out when I pick the car up on Friday. But I wasn't aware the non-turbo chasis was that much different than the turbo.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Electronic shocks

The turbos also had electrically adjustable front shocks, my 86 has a harness going into the shock mount on top, there may be more differences, I would visit ZBums site, he has all the differences outlined.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
The turbos also had electrically adjustable front shocks, my 86 has a harness going into the shock mount on top, there may be more differences, I would visit ZBums site, he has all the differences outlined.
Yeah, I've been to his site numerous times, read it through each time as well. Even so, some things just slip past my memory. I'll probably download the FSM soon and start reading through that. Unfortunately I can't start to do any work on this project until September, but it gives me plenty of time to lurk around and learn what I can.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Delecroix
Edit: I will take a look for the digital cluster, as I have the power supply and two gauge pods. It must be at my storage, and since we are hit with a snow storm today, it will have to wait until tomorrow sadly. I'll keep you posted though.
Don't worry about finding it, if you do let me know, but I'm not in a rush to fix it, so don't go out of your way for it. If you go to your storage for something else you need, just take a look and let me know.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM

This is the one in boston, NY right? I almost bought it but went with another one locally and sourced my own motor. His doesn't seem to be running right.

I was supposed to look at it because I was going to buy it also for the motor and extra body parts but and to cancel due to weather, and he got mad and stopped responding to my texts, saying he was going to just scrap it... lol

Be wary of the motor issues. I heard it running g9he sent me vids) and although it's open turbo (no exhaust) it sounded to have some tapping/knocking from running too lean until he was up in the RPMS. I feel he tried to fix the motor and it didn't work so he's triyn got sell the project to get his money back....

If you're in the buffalo/lancaster area we should meet up and compare our 50th AEs

Last edited by Jbaker1121; 03-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jbaker1121
This is the one in boston, NY right? I almost bought it but went with another one locally and sourced my own motor. His doesn't seem to be running right.

I was supposed to look at it because I was going to buy it also for the motor and extra body parts but and to cancel due to weather, and he got mad and stopped responding to my texts, saying he was going to just scrap it... lol

Be wary of the motor issues. I heard it running g9he sent me vids) and although it's open turbo (no exhaust) it sounded to have some tapping/knocking from running too lean until he was up in the RPMS. I feel he tried to fix the motor and it didn't work so he's triyn got sell the project to get his money back....

If you're in the buffalo/lancaster area we should meet up and compare our 50th AEs
yeah, it is the one in Boston! He was rather open about the engine issue, but I intend to rebuild it completely anyway. I bought this as a project car for school, so the fact that there were a few issues with it is actually a good thing!
We should meet up when the cars are in running condition! That would be awesome.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Title is in hand, now to stat really planning what I'm going to do with this thing!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 50SEVEN
Title is in hand, now to stat really planning what I'm going to do with this thing!

Nice man! Let's meet up! PM me