300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Wheel hop & Front spring

Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Wheel hop & Front spring

Hey guys, got two questions:

-When ever I turn I can hear/feel my drivers side front spring turning within it's unit. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It did this before I went and replaced the shocks and springs and I'm 99.9% sure I put them in properly (end of spring against the notch on the bottom, top...?) Where should I look next into seeing what it may be?

-When I bought the car, the passenger side shock was blown. Because of this, the car handled horribly as you would imagine and would scare the bejeezus out ya when you hit a pot hole and would give terrible vibrations/wheel hop under medium/heavy acceleration. I went through and replaced both the shocks and springs with Tokico Illumina's and Eibachs with new poly upper and lower spring mounts. Now it's not so bad, but I'm still getting the wheel hop. I still have a rattle like sound whever that suspension moves. Would this be the subframe mount or something else?

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. I did copy this over from zcar.com)
Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Aside from the advice of taking off the tires & checking the suspension, the only other suggestion I have is to take it to a GOOD alignment shop & have them check it out. Usually they'll check it for free or cheap, then with the PROPER diagnosis you can fix it at home.

FYI, technically any time you remove a major part of the suspension (like a strut) you should have it re-aligned by an expert.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Thank you NismoPick for the welcome.

I'll go ahead and take it in to a have an alignment done and see what they say. I've got the complete master poly kit sitting here, I'm just waiting for a few last pieces to my transmission swap. This way when I drop the transmission, I'll go and do the subframe bushings too. I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right area or it be possibly something else.