300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Unknown Scrubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Unknown Scrubbing

I recently purchased my first Z31. I replaced the 5 speed transmission and now there is an unknown scrubbing when every now and then. The scrubbing is only when I am rolling very slow. There is no visual on whats scrubbing. The car has factory tire size.I kind of think the brakes are rusty and sticking or something. Any one ever had this problem???
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

your description doesn't give much to go on. the brake pads themselves have a tattletale which rubs on the rotor when the pad is low. find a place that gives free brake inspections in hopes of selling you something. stand under the car with the guy if they allow it. you might spot something or they will. if no noise before you replaced the tranny maybe something wrong with it. Did you put in a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing and clutch. that would have been the time to do those things.

Here is my general advice to z31 newbies. first go to xenon website and download the fsm world of good info there.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

Last edited by rogerz; 08-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Yeah I know that I didn't give you much to go by but thanks. The car has new brake pads. I replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, etc ... I'm not to sure what's wrong with it but thanks for the reply. Once I find out I will probably reply to this thread. Thanks again. Also, I have a kenwood radio in my car and it stays in protect mode. I press the reset button but it still stays there. It went into protect mode when my car spoke to make me aware of my door open. Haha. I was wondering if I put another aftermarket one in there if it would do the same thing. If you know anything about that, that would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
The Good Twin

It's very hard to dx noise problems without hearing the noise.

Can you make a video for us?

As for the stereo problem... doesn't the instruction book have anything on protect / disable protect mode?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM

when I replaced my tranny on my 86, I dented the cover on the rear of the transmission that connects to the drive shaft. That made it rub there at low speeds. Take out the center console and the rubbers gasket that covers the shifter. You should be looking straight at the ground. Drive around to see if it is coming from there.