300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Turbo shocks on a NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 PM

Turbo shocks on a NA

Been reading a lot and can't find where anyone has ask this question.

I have a 87 2+2 (NA obviously) and I'm buying a 85 Turbo to use as donor car for a Turbo conversation. The guy says he just put Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks on all 4 corners. Can these be put on my Z without major changes to the suspension? I know I'll be removing the front cross member anyway to complete the conversion. I'd like to also transfer the brakes as well.

BTW this is the same car that has the problem of loosing power after it warms up, I'm sick of messing with is so on to the Turbo.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:41 PM

They will transfer over just fine, you will have to use the strut tubes off the turbo though.

Just un-bolt the strut tube from the steering knuckle, and then remove the 3 nuts on the shock mount and transfer the whole thing over. Just ditch the adjustable suspension controls and you are good to go.

As for the rear, the shocks have the same mounting on all year Z31's
I'd say just swap out the whole rear subframe at once.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM

if you use the 85 strut tubes, you'll want to use the 85 control arms. if you don't, you'll have a lot of negative camber.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at the car this week. The guy sent me a pic of the car and it looks to be in very good condition. Other than a knock in the engine this car might be worth fixing. Besides I don't really want to be responsible for killing a Z car if it's not ready to died. He's only asking $500 for it so I'd have some room to fix it up.

I have a spare NA engine I can pull the crank and rods from if it's got a spun rod bearing. The sounds he said it makes me believe that's what happened. He also said it lost oil pressure just before the knock started. My next questions will be if the crank and rods are the same on a NA and Turbo. I know the compression ratio is diff. , but isn't the because of the pistons and heads?? I might post this question in the engine tread. Need to do a search first someone might have ask this before.

I'll know more after I see the car, he might think it's in great shape when it's trashed..LOL
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 AM

well, sounds like it just might be a bad oil pump, you might not have to rebuild the engine. the knock could just be a low oil pressure. check the oil for metal chips, and leaks, before you go through all that trouble. you might just have to drop the oil pan and replace the pump.

I also have a leak in the oil cooler area, it was hidden for a while.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM

The guy says he changed the oil pump and the knock stayed, he ran out of cash and let it sit for 3 yrs now just wants to sell it.

I have to read up on changing the oil pump on a Z. Done it before on a Chey small block and I know if you don't prime it right it will never work makes me wonder if he did the job right? I have a Haynes l and a fact. service man. so I'm sure they tell you how in it.

Still even if the knock goes away after changing the pump you know some damage has been done. I have know idea how much he ran it with the knock either.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 AM

eww, well to prime the chevy's it was just a rod that connected the distributor and the oil pump, you just spun it around with a drill for a while. In the Z I think you just turn the key and let the car go thru the rotations without the ignition hooked up. cant think of another way. well, good luck with that one. it might also just be loose. take off the valve covers and tighten the valves up. worked for my camaro. again, correct me if I am wrong az
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM

On the Z you just make sure it's full of oil first before you install it. Then do as you said and turn the engine over with the ignition disabled til you've got oil pressure.