300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

new Z owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM

new Z owner

hey guys.. i just bought a 84 300zx none turbo. First off, i wanna replace the suspension system can u guys give me website where to get a cheap and full suspension kit. Secondly, im having a problem with my dash, everything works but the speedo and gas level gauge,. speedo has a display but stuck on 0mph so im thinking it has something to do with the sensor. where do i find the speed sensor so i can take it out and replace with a new one.. gas level gauge is totally blacked out so im thinking it has something to so with the PS solder being corroded or no continuity like what most people says. Lastly, how do i turn the AC on, i really have no idea due to the fact that i dont have a service manual. im still getting familliar with the controls and underhood mechanicals.

1980,1996,2012 camaro owner.. new to import world
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

first thing to do is download the fsm from xenon. next step -READ IT. you want parts GOOGLE. speed sensor located right side of engine room. you can twirl it by hand and have someone watch the display.

if you would really like answers that would help you and avoid flames give the following info when you post: year of car, n/a or turbo engine, stick or slushbox. Most of us can tell by the year what model you have ie 85T is a turbo z31. Z cars come in many flavors and they are all different. example 84,85,86 Z31's pretty comparable. there were changes in 87,88,89. in addition 300ZX can refer to two completly different cars the Z31 and the Z32. No mindreaders here the more info you can post the more likely you get a cogent useful answer.

You did give year so kudos I posted the above because I've got it already written

Here is some stuff you want to do:
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

gas level may well be fuel level sender. Available at Courtesy Nissan. Look under the carpet in the rear and see if it is disconnected.

when you get the fsm take the electric schematics on a thumb drive to Kinko's and have them print it at 11x17. Makes things a lot more readable.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 PM

thanks bud.. appreciate it.. about the ac issue, the ambient temp is stuck in -56 and i think thats one of the reasons why the compressor doesnt engage. any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of problem?

1980,1996,2012 camaro owner.. new to import world..
Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

a/c issue more likely the interior temp sensor. above your head between the seats is a plastic box contains a fan and the temp sensor. I think the ambient sensor isfront about bumper level. You got analog or digital dash - makes a difference
Old 07-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Cool

i have a digital dash rogerz, so yeah i downloaded the fsm, i spent almost an hour trying to find the location of ambient temp sensor but i couldnt find it so im hoping that theres someone here could tell where it is attached or the exact location. and about the speed meter being stuck on 0 i guess ive alredy found the sensor its right under the tranny almost at the end of it.. anyone know where to buy the speed sensor for cheap.. well ima try to see if they have in my local auto parts store but i doubt.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

like I said it is stuck in the bumper near the left bumper shock. Not the plastic bumper cover the actual steel bumper. HA97 if you downloaded the right fsm. You need to study the manual and learn to locate the proper page. EL191 shows the speed sensor mounted where I said on the right side of the engine compartment. So unless you are willing to put in a little effort to find things on your own - you are on your own as far as my advice goes.