300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Mustang wheel the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Mustang wheel the same?

It looks like Mustang wheel adapters might fit on the Turbo Z? Anyone know? That sure would make it easier to find them, if so. I just want to get some adapters that would offset my wheels even with the fenders. (And also give me room for wider tires next time I replace them.) It looks like 1" on the front and 1.5" on the back would do it. But I'm a bit confused as to how exact these have to be. Yes, I know the specs on my car, but I'm just wondering if it matches any other cars that would make it easier to find them. I mean, they're all over ebay, but they just tell you what kind of vehicle, not the centerbore and stud specs. Anyone know if some ford wheels are a match or not? Any helpful info on cars that are a match or close?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
The Good Twin

It depends on the lug pattern. If it's not posted on the ebay item page, email them for specs.

I know the old school Mustang 4lug was the same as the Datsun 4lug...

You could google the 5lug Mustang pattern and probably have your answer.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:02 PM

94 up mustangs use a 5 bolt 4.5 pattern, same as Datsun. 94-98 used about 5.9x backspacing, 99-2004 used 6.2 backspacing, 05 up uses more than that.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Yeah, I have googled the hell out of it and still not found very specific info. Maybe it's the words I'm using. I think I just found something using your words. Looks like the studs are 1/2", 20 TPI anyway. So looks like new lug nuts would be required, but that's not a big deal, eh? I've also emailed them, but they don't always get back to you as soon as you'd like. I suppose I don't want to order anything from someone who doesn't reply anyway. I have a feeling many of them don't know. They just know what they're for. You know how people on ebay can be.
I just need to find out what centerbore for what years now, I guess. How important is centerbore? Can it be larger and still be ok, or do you generally need that to be exact for best stability and balance?

Thanks bojo68. That helps some.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 01-10-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by SloppyGoat
How important is centerbore?

Thanks bojo68. That helps some.
Depends on how much of a pain in the butt you are. Me, being the Ahole I am, it's either hubcentric or no go. I"m to weird to depend on a few overworked studs. Myself, I don't really care much about hub size, there are adapters by the jillions, and if that won't do it, my local machinist will. Last time it cost 50$ for 4. I took 50 mph corners at 100+ in a Mercedes limo(with American Racing mags! with them and they were fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Ah! So hubcentric rings take up the space, if you find a larger centerbore? That's the missing key I was confused about. It all makes sense to me now! Gracias! Looks like they'd work fine to me.

We don't really have a local machinist in this fncking one Z town. In Minneapolis I might find one, but it's usually easier to find things online before verturing all over the place to find an idiot who will make them here. This is a weird state. I want to leave, as soon as my probation is over.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Ford 5 lug is the same bolt pattern as Nissan 5 lug (all Nissan 5 lugs, AFAIK, are the same, as well).

The Ford 4 lug (at least on the Fox-Body Mustangs) is slightly different (found that out the hard way lol)
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Jeep also seems to have some with the same bolt pattern. I'm still wondering if there is a best vehicle to cross reference to try to find the closest match. It would be very cool if something even has the same centerbore and everything. Surely, someone would've figured that out by now, though?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by SloppyGoat
Jeep also seems to have some with the same bolt pattern. I'm still wondering if there is a best vehicle to cross reference to try to find the closest match. It would be very cool if something even has the same centerbore and everything. Surely, someone would've figured that out by now, though?

Here's a partial list.
Mustang hub bore s bigger than datsun, so a simple centering ring will do the trick, and they're out there.

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...ls=300ZX+TURBO
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 AM

Cool! Perfect! Thanks! So, all I need to do is find any adapters with a larger centerbore on that list and then get rings to fill in the gap. Sweet!!! That's exactly what I needed! Or just look for anything for Infinity.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 01-14-2010 at 05:14 AM.