300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Z31 AC install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Z31 AC install

I'm in talks with a friends father to buy his 87 300zx, but he told me that it doesn't have ac. Is it possible, easy and cheap to add it into the car? I live in Sacramento and I can't go without AC. Today alone is 106* and t-top just won't cut it lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Most likely it has the parts, probably just out of freon. Most z31's have air, if it does not have it, it can be added,you will need to pull the dash, then it is easy to put in. I have a complete unit out of an 86T. The unit comes in 3 sections, a blower section, an AC section, and the heater/ control section, that has all the vacuum actuators that change which vents get air. I have had mine in and out of my 81 280zx many times trying to fix a leak in my heater valve that stop hot water from going to the core when you have the AC on. the 2 cars systems are similar in many ways.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:17 PM

The hard part, after the install is converting the car for the new R134 freon, there are kits to do it, you will need to drain the old oil out of the compressor and replace it with oil compatible with the new freon. The kits have the oil, the freon and adapters to change it all over.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
The hard part, after the install is converting the car for the new R134 freon, there are kits to do it, you will need to drain the old oil out of the compressor and replace it with oil compatible with the new freon. The kits have the oil, the freon and adapters to change it all over.
Thank you for all the heads on on putting the AC into the car. If it have the ac within it or if I can get to put into it, I would more then likely just use the R12a stuff that can be put in with all the other freon cars and fluids.

Thank you once again for all the help
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Sounds like you haven't looked at that Z31 yet. I think you will find all the components for AC there, if owner hasn't removed them for some reason. I don't think Nissan shipped Z31s to the US market without AC. Remember that Z31s were being marketed as luxury sport vehicles. What luxury car would have no A/C.

Like PredZ says, all components are available, whether OEM or from recyclers. Usually the issue is finding the refrigerant leaks which can be done with the dye-containing refrig types and the UV light (there's a kit). My '86na A/C worked perfectly for 21 years on the original factory refrig charge! Small leak happened in 2007, located it, recharged system with a new refrigerant kit and it was perfect once again. Still.

Agreed that you can't have a Z31 without A/C in warm climates. The engine heat that works its way through the firewall and up from the tranny hump is way too much to take. Windows open? Yeah but you can't hear the music!

So you gotta get that A/C working right. Let us know what you do. We love the feedback here. Thanks.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Sounds like you haven't looked at that Z31 yet. I think you will find all the components for AC there, if owner hasn't removed them for some reason. I don't think Nissan shipped Z31s to the US market without AC. Remember that Z31s were being marketed as luxury sport vehicles. What luxury car would have no A/C.

Like PredZ says, all components are available, whether OEM or from recyclers. Usually the issue is finding the refrigerant leaks which can be done with the dye-containing types and the UV light. My '86na A/C worked perfectly for 21 years. Small leak happened. located it, recharged with the new refrigerant kit and it is perfect again.

Agreed that you can't have a Z31 without A/C in warm climates. The engine heat that works its way through the firewall and up from the tranny is way too much to take. Windows open... and you can't hear the music!

So you gotta get that A/C working right. Let us know what you do. We love the feedback here! Thanks.
No I haven't looked at it yet. He has been asking me to come look at it for months bc it has been sitting in his garage for about 10 years and hasn't been run. I have just had my hands full with my s30 build.
The last time I talked to him, he told me his Z didn't have AC. Granted he didn't say it wasn't installed, I just assumed that's what he meant about that.
When I look at it, I will see if I can locate the compressor and components for the AC as well as see if I am willing to make an offer on the car.
Like I said, I didn't want to make an offer on a car that didn't have the AC components already in place
Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Good thinking. Also, preparing and starting a car that has been sitting that long is a special deal. Be sure to check back here for that if you buy it and have any questions. These guys are good at it! Good luck.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Good thinking. Also, preparing and starting a car that has been sitting that long is a special deal. Be sure to check back here for that if you buy it and have any questions. These guys are good at it! Good luck.
Yeah, it's no easy task, but for a few hundred bucks, I may just be worth it to try