300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Idiot windshield washer light

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 02:19 PM

thanks for the antenna info!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Hey Chukker,

Have you discovered how to fix the "idiot checklights" for the windshield washer fluid yet? I'm having that same little idiosyncratic problem with my Z, and it's annoying the heck out of me! I'll try working on it this weekend and I'll let you know if I make any progress...
Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm...

Well, this is interesting! I just flushed and filled my radiator not long ago and lo' an' behold!! The windshield fluid light no longer comes on!!! I'm so happy!

So if you're sick of that darn windshield fluid light come on even though the windshield fluid is full, you may want to check the coolant level in the radiator instead. It may be a mixed up wire or something. Make sure you check the radiator itself and not the reservoir...I've learned never to rely on how much fluid is in that spare tank. Hopefully, this will solve the problem that seemed to have plagued and annoyed some of you for so very long...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 AM

I wasn't even aware there WAS a low washer level light. I've ran out of washer fluid plenty of times and no light ever came on. The strange little lght at the top of the dash with all the other warning lights , the one that kinda looks like a house or a temple , thats the radiator light.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

I'm not sure about the '85 model, but in my '89 I have a digital dash, and when you first start the car, it'll check 1. Front (with a headlight symbol) 2. Rear (taillight symbol) 3. Wash (windshield with spray symbol) and 4. Water (radiator symbol). I've had the Water symbol come on last summer before I changed the radiator due to a leak, so I know it was functioning properly. And previous to this experience, the Wash symbol had worked fine in warning me of low windshield washer fluid levels. But hey, my car is getting on in years...just like me!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Copper727
I'm not sure about the '85 model, but in my '89 I have a digital dash, and when you first start the car, it'll check 1. Front (with a headlight symbol) 2. Rear (taillight symbol) 3. Wash (windshield with spray symbol) and 4. Water (radiator symbol). I've had the Water symbol come on last summer before I changed the radiator due to a leak, so I know it was functioning properly. And previous to this experience, the Wash symbol had worked fine in warning me of low windshield washer fluid levels. But hey, my car is getting on in years...just like me!
Huh , I thought that one was for the headlight washers. Oh well , no big deal. Either the bulb is burned out or the sensor is dead , I guess.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:04 PM

Disconnect the sensor

There is a sensor underneath the Windshield Washer tub. Pull the tub out and disconnect the sensor wire. Your system check will work (except the washer fluid) without this, as long as you know when you're out, which is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by chukker
Does anyone who has the digital dash with the idiot checklights know how to permanently reset the windshield washer low fluid warning light? Plenty of fluid, new pumps, but still have the light come on each time and want to continue my quest to fix the small stuff.

Also, fyi, the $35.00 electric antennas for sale on E-bay work okay to replace the original if your mast won't raise or lower. Probably cheaper than ******.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Lolz

You guys have ****ed up wiring thats what the problem is...Ive owned 3 non-turbo 300zx 2 87's an 88 and now i own a 85 turbo 300zx conversion. Ive had trouble with all the wiring on every one of the cars. Especially when trying to install a deck....Don't ever get the car audio installation kits. You can get it but i suggest you don't plug your deck into it. Test each wire before you do anything. Other problems i have had are brake lights...Reverse light always staying on. There are so many wiring problems with all of them believe it or not. Its just a matter of finding the problem and fixing it.