280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Yes it is going on my '82 slicktop in my sig. The car is silver, and the bodykit is black already. It is the MSA Type II. The Z will be silver with a black hood, hatch, and bodykit. And the wing will also be black I think. With the interior being straight black with purple black lighting. Also the markers, and turn signals will be purple black lighting. I am working on it, should be on the road soon. Yes pics will follow here soon. Sit tight hehe

Oh and do I keep my bumpers with the bodykit? Or do I have to take them off? Not sure, but I will search on this site, and see if I can find a thread on it. But any info, will be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I finally started working on my Z this week. I decided to tinker with it after work 3am till 4:30am. Since we are back to working 10 hour shifts, instead of 12's. So I have energy still when I get home. Sorry about the lack of pics. But I will have some here in the near future.

Okay This week so far... I got my tranny bolted back to the motor. The tranny is also back on the mounts. The clutch slave cylinder is hooked back up, and working great. I have the driveline back in, and mounted. The cat convertor is hooked back in. (temporarily of course though) hehe

Now for what is left to do...
Hook up my brand new speedometer cable, to the tranny and cluster through the firewall.
Put my new power steering lines in, and hook the pump back up with the belt and pulley.
Put 2 more bolts, that belong in my steering shaft, or whatever it is called. lol
Check out and bleed the brakes. Inspect the rotors and pads, and if they are good. Leave them for now.
Give the motor a fresh tuneup and what not (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensor etc...)
Also take him to an alignment shop, because I installed a new rack, and tie rods
get new tires 205 60r 15's
Get the rest of my electrical working right for instance....
my checklight, and see why it isn't working
my blower motor
then clean up the interior, get my other highback seat in, and hook up my black light bulbs in all of the inside
Then get my sidemarkers, and turn signal lenses, the clear and smoked ones, mounted with black light bulbs.
Prep my MSA type II bodykit, and drill the holes where need be
Paint my hood, wing, and rear hatch.

And a few other random things, so close to being on the road. Can't wait almost there. Well feel free to comment, and I will keep you all updated more often now.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:12 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I figured I would give you all a update on my project. I started working on it again. After 3 weeks or so, giving it a break. I have been working 6 days a week. And I am just plain wiped out after work. Anyway here is the current progress. And pics will follow soon, after I get the car on the ground. And the bodykit installed.

Boss Clutch is in, and works great, with verry little slip
The power steering lines are hooked up, just need to secure them to the front frame
Oh yeah I also took off the blue tape on my windshield lol. About time huh? hehe

That is about it for now. I only worked on it yesterday for 2 hours or so. Had to get ready for the RUSH concert. It was great by the way. Anyway I did get some things accomplished. Next is what is left on the previous post. Don't want to repost things, I have already said. I am going to tackle it more today. It has been cooler weather recently. Just a little too muggy. But at least not blazing heat. Will let you all know, what I get done today. And pics are coming soon. I promise you all that.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay I got the gear oil drained out. And went to take out the filler plug. Or should I say what is left of it. Some douche-bag, appeared to have welded it or something like that. And I have already tried vise-grips to get the thing off to no avail. I know I will not be too pleased to have to swap trannys. Because some friggin' tweaker moron. Decided to work on this car. Doh! What a pain in the ****, to say the least. Suggestions anyone? I am still trying to figure out, how to get this plug out. Any and all help will be appreciated. And please no smart *** comments. I need useful information. This is another obstacle standing in my way of driving this Z on the road. And thanks everybody.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
From NY to AZ

Is it welded all the way around the perimeter or are there just a few tack welds holding it in place? If it is welded all the way around I don't know if there is anything you can do other than drilling it out and retapping the hole. If there are just a few tack welds you could probably drill them out, or knock them off with a chisel, depending on how good the penetration on the weld is. Could also drill another hole at the same height and thread that to take a standard oil drain plug or something.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks for tip man (007 max). I ended up using the reverse light switch hole. And it seemed to work. If I want to take out the filler hole. I would have to remove the tranny, and drill it out. I don't really feel like doing that right now. Anyway I am so close to having this Z back on the ground. Woo hoo!! I believe I have the passenger rear caliper leaking. And the rear rotors need replacing. I checked out the brake pads all around. And they all seem pretty good still. So I can leave them for now. If I have a full day this weekend to work on this Z. I will have it back on the ground. And pics will follow shortly after, sit tight everybody. And thanks for your support.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, I got my power steering belt on. Put in some fresh fluid, and ran the car, while steering it. And adding fluid, until it was full. All good there, and I am quite happy. My new rack, my lines, and my original pump are all good. And the pump don't even make any noise while steering. Major bonus, and I am psyched, that this Z is going on the road real soon.

Also my tranny hardly makes any noise, and the throwout bearing, is pretty quiet. Next is the brakes, and the rear rotors. Like I said previously all the pads look good. So I will keep them on there. I will swap out the passenger rear caliper from my other Z. And then gravity bleed all the lines. And hopefully the brakes will have some pedal after that. If not, my master cylinder might be shot. Which will only set me back less than $30.

Then I will proceed with the electronic part of the car. Which is my favorite part to do. I love messing with electrical stuff. And I am not joking, I really do like messing with electrical, wiring and such. Okay that is all for now, will follow up again, here shortly.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

The Z is back on the ground, and off the jack stands. Woo hoo! I just have a few more bugs to work out on it. And also I am surprised on how it tracks pretty straight. I did the tie rods by eye, and it drives pretty straight! Of course I will still take it to an alignment shop to make sure all is good.

I also noticed I have KYB GR2 struts, and I believe Eibach springs. At least I believe they are. Major bonus there, it looks kind of aggressive the way it sits. You all will see that here soon.

I have to work 12 hour shifts this week. So no pics until the weekend. I should have some new ones by then. And man does a slicktop look tight. It is much smoother looking. I forgot how sweet they look. Okay that is all for now, sit tight for more. And that is a promise.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
From NY to AZ

Nice work man! Its great to make so much progress on a car you've been working on for so long. Whats left to do to get it roadworthy aside from an alignment?

I just got mine driving in the last 2 weeks after having it apart for 2 years. Took it on a little 300 mile trip to a HybridZ meat down by NYC this weekend. The car performed flawlessly (aside from having the coil wire arc to the AFM causing it to stall out once I got there). I'm leaving for AZ this Saturday, hope to be there by Sunday night. Maybe we can wrench on some Z's once I'm there. Do you ever go to the Pavilions show out in Scottsdale on Saturday nights?

-Igor
Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
Nice work man! Its great to make so much progress on a car you've been working on for so long. Whats left to do to get it roadworthy aside from an alignment?

I just got mine driving in the last 2 weeks after having it apart for 2 years. Took it on a little 300 mile trip to a HybridZ meat down by NYC this weekend. The car performed flawlessly (aside from having the coil wire arc to the AFM causing it to stall out once I got there). I'm leaving for AZ this Saturday, hope to be there by Sunday night. Maybe we can wrench on some Z's once I'm there. Do you ever go to the Pavilions show out in Scottsdale on Saturday nights?

-Igor
Thanks bro' much appreciated. Here is what I have left to do, for the most part.

Tune up... spark plugs, wires, cap rotor, clean all contacts, o2 sensor, fuel filter etc... have all parts already. Just need 2 more plugs lol
Need new tires... mine are weather checked some
Need my stereo installed... yeah I know, but I got to have tunes lol
Get through smog.... shouldn't be too difficult.. I hope not anyway
Probably replace my passenger headlight... seems a little dim
Make sure my rear wing is installed correctly... almost there with that one
Eventually get my bodykit prepped on the car.... here soon hopefully

That is all I can think of as of now. Probably just a few more little things to do, and or replace. Glad to hear your test with your Z went well. Congrats on that man.

Right on, it would be cool to meet up. As for the Pavillions, never been there. But heard it is kick#ss. Yeah maybe we can try and check it out sometime. And wrenching on our Z's sounds fun.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM
From NY to AZ

How did the new windshield install work out? Did they have a new seal in stock or did you have to wait for them to order one? What color is the tinted strip on top? Have you pulled off the blue tape yet? lol

I'm going to have mine replaced when I get down there
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
How did the new windshield install work out? Did they have a new seal in stock or did you have to wait for them to order one? What color is the tinted strip on top? Have you pulled off the blue tape yet? lol

I'm going to have mine replaced when I get down there
It worked out great, and he used a black sealer liquid stuff. And he glued the trim back on also. Yes I pulled off the blue tape lol. And the tint on top looks like a bluish tint. Yeah when you get down here, I will hook you up with his number. $180 installed hehe
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM
From NY to AZ

Mine is going to be covered by insurance but thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay as I posted in the other thread. This project is stopped for now. I need to do some cleanup around here. And I need a long awaited break from messing with cars. That and I need to concentrate on getting my Bluestreak through smog. Allright will keep you all informed, on what I do. When I do get back to it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay figured I would give an update on this project. I will probably continue close to the first of the year. Or afterwards.. Just trying to organize more around here. Before I dive into the project again. I am anxious, but still kind of burnt out to a point. So I am doing other things I can, until I am ready. Then there is the holidays right now also.

I am currently between jobs, and cleaning up my place. And enjoying not working at the moment. I have a payout from 401k, so it will get me by for a while. I should have a job if not within a month. Probably after the first of the year or so. I am trying not to ponder on it too much. And enjoy my time right now. I haven't had a vacation in like almost 6 years. So it is nice, and less to deal with. Anyway I had to get out, I was depressed. And absolutely hated the area I was in. And the fact I was working Mon-Sat 10 hours a day. Being unable to see friends and family. Drove me to the edge, and into depression. So I had to get out, before it got worse. I don't want to work my life away. I want my social time. I do have a life, at least I thought.

All aside, I will update when I am continuing working on the '82 slicktop. And probably include new pics, and lists of what I have or will be doing. Also I got a brand new comp. I might post in the net speed section.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I picked up a hood yesterday for my '82 slicktop. And put the original hood back on my '83. So that it looks better, and also I put it back on the ground (the '83) I now have a weak battery in my slicktop. So I am trying to find my charger, and charge the battery. So I have started to work on my Z's again. It was such a nice day outside. I couldn't stay in my house, while it was nice out.

I even played football with some neighbor kids. lol I found out how much out of shape I am in. But it was fun, nonetheless. Anyway may wrench on the slicktop more tomorrow. Just figured I would give you all an update.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the battery is charging as we speak. So I will probably continue working on the slicktop tomorrow. I think I hooked the wires on the alternator wrong a while back. Probably is mainly the reason, for the battery being weak. Because the alternator is not charging the battery like it is supposed to.

So tomorrow I will pull the alternator off. And check everything out and such. Even though this is not quite related to the problem at hand. I really wish I bought a manual rack for my Z. I am so used to not having power steering. I wouldn't miss it. And it is one less thing in the friggin' way. lol Anyway will let you all know how it goes.

Oh and the hood I bought the other day is a copper kind of color. I am still debating if I want to paint the hood black, or silver. Any feedback is welcome. And I am planning on keeping the bodykit gloss black.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

If the body kit is going to be black, I'd go with a black hood.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
If the body kit is going to be black, I'd go with a black hood.
Yeah I've been thinking about it. And I believe that is probably the best color scheme I could go with. So most of the body will be silver like it is now. With a black hood, and black hatch, and probably a black wing. With the black body kit. Thanks for the input man.

Anyway too nasty outside right now, to work on the Z. So I am going to continue cleaning up my living room. And should hopefully have it done today. I picked up some speakers last week at Goodwill. That I want to hook up to my surround sound and such.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:53 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I worked on the slicktop yesterday. And fixed a few things wrong with it. Here is a list....

Had a fried alternator... swapped it out with another one I had
Fuel regulator was shot.... Pulled the one off of another Z.
AFM was faulty... Swapped it with another one I had. Seems to run better now.
But I still have a overheating problem... I have already replaced things new a while back...
Brand new clutch fan
Brand new water pump
Brand new thermostat
Flushed the radiator the best I could.. But I believe it is to blame, and it is plugged up still. I will swap it out with another one I have lying around.

I checked the dipstick.. no milky oil, and it is nice and goldish color, so good there. So I know the head and head gasket are good. That is a good thing to know.

That is where I am at for now. Of course after I get the overheating issue solved. I can concentrate, on extracting the broken bolts for the cat convertor shield. That keeps the heat off the floorboard and interior. I am getting there, slowly but surely. Will keep you updated as always. And feel free to comment.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I swapped out the radiator. And ran it for a while, overheated. Took the thermostat out. Went a little longer, then overheated again. Checked what kind of thermostat I had. It is a 180, so would a 160 help more in cooling? Anyway I am thinking about getting a brand new radiator. And the lower thermostat. And see what happens after that. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

With the thermostat completely out of the car, it shouldn't over heat as it would with a dead "fail-closed" thermostat.

If it's over heating with no tstat, it's gonna over heat with a 160 and the 160 is too "cold" for these motors unless you're in an extremely hot climate... like Mesa, AZ in the summer...

Since it's winter time, the 180 should be fine.

A new radiator is definitely a possibility since you've already eliminated most of the other "cheaper" possibilities.

What's your timing look like?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
With the thermostat completely out of the car, it shouldn't over heat as it would with a dead "fail-closed" thermostat.

If it's over heating with no tstat, it's gonna over heat with a 160 and the 160 is too "cold" for these motors unless you're in an extremely hot climate... like Mesa, AZ in the summer...

Since it's winter time, the 180 should be fine.

A new radiator is definitely a possibility since you've already eliminated most of the other "cheaper" possibilities.

What's your timing look like?
Okay then I will get a new radiator then. As for the timing... I have never checked it. Guess I will do it after Christmas, with my timing light. Thanks for the tips. Will keep you all updated.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well, I am going to move the slicktop back over to the other side. Until I can afford to buy a radiator for it. I want to get a good one. So I have to wait, until I get another job. I don't want to spend any more money than I need to. Will keep you all updated. But for now, the project is suspended for now.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 AM

Hey Nice car Wildman... I'm jealous =o

Question, where did you get your wing from?

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion