280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 AM

That's kind of what I paid when I had mine replaced. I saved big $$ by not calling the big shot windshield company.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I found something else out about the car. My little bro' came over, and looked at my rack and pinion, and said it was shot. I replaced the bottom line, and it was still leaking under there. Well he could tell by looking at it, that it is the rack that is leaking, and it is loose inside. So I need a whole new rack and pinion on my Z. It is a bummer to find out, but oh well. I will start calling shops around here, and get quotes. It is going to set me back further now. I don't want to mess with replacing it myself. It is too much work, and is something I don't want to deal with. Will keep you all updated, on what I find.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

No offense Rod, but WildmaN, where did you get a windshield THAT cheap?!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
No offense Rod, but WildmaN, where did you get a windshield THAT cheap?!
Just somebody here locally, while I was doing a search in Yahoo. Yeah I was surprised also, on how cheap it was. Of course I am putting it off right now, because of my rack and pinion being screwed.

Here is the place I got the $180 quote from.
T Lc Auto Glass (480) 968-1661 3650 N Desert Oasis, Mesa, AZ 3.92 mi

Last edited by WildmaN; 04-07-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay well I looked at my workshop manual. And I have decided to change out the rack and pinion myself. It doesn't seem to be too difficult. And if I can swap out an engine. This should be a breeze. Well I will be calling places tomorrow, to get the best price on a reman one. I believe this Z, is well worth putting money into. It runs like a top, and as far as I can tell. Doesn't burn any oil, and has strong compression. I do need to change out the throwout bearing. But I am sure I can go a while with it bad. And I will still have my backup Z, in case anything happens. Wish me luck, and I will keep all of you posted.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, I am getting a rack and pinion at BAP import parts here in Mesa. Out the door cost it $165, not bad. So Wednesday after getting some tests done on me. I am picking up the rack, after that, and installing it Saturday hopefully. Will keep you all informed as always. And wish me luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright I went and had some x-rays done today. And then I went over to BAP, and picked up my new rack and pinion. It looks like it doesn't come with balljoints, or tie rods. So I will have to see, what kind of shape mine are currently in. Anyway just a little update for you. Will keep you updated. Oh and feel free to comment, so I don't feel like I am talking to myself. lol

I will also take pics during the operation. I thought it would be pretty cool to, so I can see what I have done. Okay Saturday the operation starts, wish me luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Oh another thing I wanted to add but forgot. The air cleaner that is on the car. Has 3 wing nuts, and is longer. And the ones I have normally seen, have only had 2 wing nuts. Is this a turbo air cleaner? I am confused, let me know if you can help me out on that also. If it isn't could you tell me what one it is? I know it is not the one from factory.
My 1979 has three...had three wing nuts on the air cleaner. My 1982 had 2.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
Yeah, I'm jealous too....I wouldn't mind picking up a 280ZX but I can't find any Zs like that here....heck, I had to get my 240Z shipped from New Mexico. When I lived in NC, I saw old Zs on used car lots....but not here.

I just Test drove a 280zx up here in MN, It will be my first Z, I already paid a reserve on it, and tis off the market...there is a white one with t-tops, you want me to send you a link?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 PM

It wont come with ball joints or outer tie rod ends. When you take the tie rod ends off your car count how many times you turn them 360 degrees, then put them on the same # of times. And then clock the rack @ the gear box in the same manner. Good luck
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright, well the old rack is still on the car. But I did remove the tie-rods, and ball joints from the arms, or whatever they are called. Hopefully this weekend, I will get it off, and such.

All aside, I have decided what color I am painting my rear F-40 wing. It is going to be silver like the car. And I also am hot about installing it this weekend, or verry soon. I just want to see what it looks like on my Z. And you bet I will have pics of it mounted. he he

Hopefully within a couple of weeks, I will have this Z on the road. Will keep you updated as always.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
From NY to AZ

Nice work man. Keep it going!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks for the props everybody. I just about have the rack out, just need one more bolt to take out, and it is a biotch. I had to raise the motor some to get to the bolts, because they are so close to the oil pan. I should have the rack out, here soon. Then I just need to get new tie-rods, mount the new rack. And then do the brakes, new clutch, and fix some screwy things with the wiring. And then attend to getting my windshield replaced. That is it for now, will keep you all posted as I go.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Taste My Rainbow

paint it primer like bluestreak but inverse the color'd primer.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, well I am almost ready to pull the rack out. I soaked the bolt in PB spray to loosen it up. So hopefully I will get it out today. And then I will run fresh oil and filter with sea-foam. And let the car run for a bit. Then maybe drop the tranny to prepare for the clutch job.

Anyway I scored on this clutch kit yesterday on e-bay. I am pretty psyched about that. Because I saved some money and got a better clutch than stock. I got for $49 plus shipping, woo hoo! So that is one less thing to worry about. So now I just need new brake pads, check the rotor. And figure out my little wiring problems. Which I am sure I will get to the bottom of.

Oh yes I also got brand new tie-rods, power steering lines from Black Dragon Auto. It cost me over $200 for everything with shipping. Not too bad, but still hurts. Anyway after I am done, I will mostly have a new car. he he.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Political n00b crusher

Originally Posted by Thomo
I just Test drove a 280zx up here in MN, It will be my first Z, I already paid a reserve on it, and tis off the market...there is a white one with t-tops, you want me to send you a link?
Sorry man, I just now saw this post. The white one is prolly sold by now. Thats OK though, my 240 is killing me now money wise, can't afford another Z right now...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the rack is in, wasn't too bad I guess. The hard part now is getting my damn motor mounts to line back up. Especially considering, I don't have a hoist. Nor would it matter because I couldn't get to the front of my Z anyway. So tomorrow, I should have the mounts bolted on the frame. And then clean and reinstall my power steering lines. Get my tranny ready to pull the clutch out. Little by little, I am getting there. I am upset that I ordered the wrong power steering lines. I got the one's for the '79'-'81 doh! Oh well, I think my old ones are allright for now. I have to have something there so I don't ruin my new rack. Now I wish I would have got a manual rack. Oh well too late now, the rack is mounted.

Slowly but surely I am getting there. I should have this thing going by next weekend. The way it is going anyway, but who knows? Like I said, I don't put a timeline on these cars. Other stuff can always come up, and thwart my plans.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright the motor mounts are in, and good to go. I also got the tie-rods on the rack, just need to get them on the control arms. Then finish hooking up my steering box back up. Put my power steering lines back on. And get my tranny pulled out to prepare for the clutch job. Change the oil and filter, and put seafoam in. Then I just have a few wiring issues after that. And of course get the brakes up to par. And get some new tires at Discount when I am ready. My clutch kit should be here by May 1st. So hopefully next weekend, I will be mostly done. It is starting to look like it anyway. Well that is all for now, feel free to comment.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well this Z is going to be put on hold for now. I ran out of money doh! Anyway I will do what I can, until I can afford a new windshield, and brakes for it. Oh well, I still have nice dependable, fuel guzzling Z. he he I can't complain, he still gets me where I need to go.

Donations anyone? he he j/p, I will just have to catch up on things, and sell some stuff. Hopefully wont be too long, because I am friggin' close to getting it on the road. I already know it runs like a champ, which is great. Just had some extra things to fix, and or replace.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 AM

Word...sucks to run out of money though, especially when you are close to done.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay got some more things done with my Z this past weekend. I changed the oil, and put seafoam in it. It runs great, now I just need to give a fresh tune-up. Get the clutch done, and a few other annoying things.

Which now brings me to this. As you all know, I recently changed my rack and pinion. Well I got the tie-rods on, and I am stumped. Supposedly there is supposed to be locking nuts on the pinion rods. So that when I get the tie rods, where I want them. I can lock them down so they don't come out of alignment. Okay my question is: Where are they, and why are they not on my original rack, I took out of the car? It is verry perplexing, and is hindering me getting this Z roadworthy. I will look at my manual some more, and study. But I am lost as of now.

So for now I am going to mess with my wiring. And try to figure out why things aren't working, like they should be. Anyway any input on this would be much appreciated. I am so close now, I can feel it. I have big plans for both of my '82 Z cars. I have really fallen for this slicky also. I also put on my F-40 wing, to see how it would look. And it looks friggin' sweet. So that will go on here soon also.

Well that is all for now, maybe I will snap some pics of my old rack, so you can check it out for me. And looking forward to your tips, and thoughts.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by WildmaN
.... I am upset that I ordered the wrong power steering lines. I got the one's for the '79'-'81 doh! Oh well, I think my old ones are allright for now. I have to have something there so I don't ruin my new rack. Now I wish I would have got a manual rack. Oh well too late now, the rack is mounted.
You still have those power steering lines? I'll buy em.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
You still have those power steering lines? I'll buy em.
Sorry bud, I returned them for credit, and to get the correct ones I needed. Otherwise I would have probably sold them to you. I am getting $30 credit, when they exchange the lines. The ones I need are cheaper than the '79-'81's go figure.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
From NY to AZ

Where'd you order them from? If you don't mind me asking
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 007max
Where'd you order them from? If you don't mind me asking
Not a problem man, I ordered them from: blackdragonauto.com It was my mistake, I just ordered the wrong part numbers. I was tired, and didn't double-check before I ordered them.

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion