280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

No Dash lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 AM

No Dash lights!

It's 7.30 pm here and I just fired the Z and drove it infront of the garage. The former owner advised me that if you switch on the lights and the dash board lights to not light up, the brake lights woudn't be on either.

He said the solution is to switch off the lights, and switch them on again.

The first time the dash lights did not come on, I switch the lights off and on again and they lit up. But tonight it was a different story. I tried around 25 times switching on and off the lights. Nothing could get the dashboard lights to work. Not even the dimmer light!!

What could be the problem? Could it be a burnt fuse, loose wire?!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM

I had the same problem, it was a fusible link for me
Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZXT83
I had the same problem, it was a fusible link for me
Which of the fuses is of the dashboard and tail lights? There are the rows of fuses located underneath the dashboard on the driver's side. I'm sure I've checked them throughly but there could have been one that slipped and still is unchecked.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM

i had this happen to me one night, but it was my fault resulting in no lights. i had my cigarette lighter wire loosely dangling live, and it grounded and blew the fuseable link. i checked the link the next day and replaced it and fixed my problem.

but if its not a fuseable link for you, i would check the wiring.
i know i may not be that much of help but, good luck to you.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM

I would check the fusible links under the hood I had a melted green wire that i replaced with a wire with a bus fuse i got from my local parts store, you could all chech the "clear tail lamp" fuse in your fuse box
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I would check your dimmer switch if you rule out fuses.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Are there any fuses under the bonnet that I may check? If yes, where are these fuses located? Ans can anyone indicate where the dashlight fuse is underneath the dashboard?

Trying to fix the problem soon! Thanks guys!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 AM

Re-checked all the fuses under the dash and all seem to be ok. Are he two lights that switch on when a door is open on the same fuse of the cluster lights and tail lights?

Because when I open the door the two white lights do turn on.

I inspected the fusable links and all seems to be in order, no melted wiring.

I am now remembereing that I was playing with the cluster light dimmer when the lights started to flicker and **** down.

What si the problem here? Really bumbed as I cannot take the car out at night!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 AM
User Friendly

The dimmer switch will sometimes cause these issues. Do you have a digital or analog dash? Please update your profile to include the year of your car, so we don't have to hunt for it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 AM
eff good grammar

so wiat, when the dashlights dont work the brake lights dont work?

do you mean the brake lights dont come on at all when you step on the pedal or do you mean the red lights in back dont come on at all?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
The dimmer switch will sometimes cause these issues. Do you have a digital or analog dash? Please update your profile to include the year of your car, so we don't have to hunt for it.
Hey barbie, it's an analog dash. it's a 1979 Japanese Spec 280zx. Any help on how to check/ fix the dimmer switch would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
so wiat, when the dashlights dont work the brake lights dont work?

do you mean the brake lights dont come on at all when you step on the pedal or do you mean the red lights in back dont come on at all?

I'm sorry if I haven't explained the situation that well. The brake lights to light up normally. However it is when I switch on the hedlamps that the back lights to not switch on.

However the brake lights still switch on when I press the brakes in the dark with the hedlamps on.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 AM
eff good grammar

ok so no licence plat light or those side markers either?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
ok so no licence plat light or those side markers either?

Correct, no license plate lights and the secondary white bumper lights do not light up neither.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Check for a burned out tail light bulb?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by kz79
Check for a burned out tail light bulb?

Would a burnt light bulb cause the dash lights not to turn on as well?

I don't think that is the problem as the dash and tail ligths used to go off momentarily. Now they're out completely!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

did you check the dimmer switch!?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
did you check the dimmer switch!?

Still haven't as I don't know what to check!

It seems to be coming from the dimmer switch because back when the dashboard lights used to switch on, when the dimmer switch was turned, it used to 'flicker' the gauge lights and it was after touching the dimmer switch that the lights did not come back on.

Shall I pull out the dimmer switch and check for loose wiring/shortage?!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Sorry.

you can test it with a ohm measure. If its all the way on it should read next to 0 ohms
Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

A few questions might fix the problem.

1. If the dimmer switch is faulty (bad earth etc..), would the tail lights, license plate lights and front lights fail to operate as well?

2. Are there any fuses to check under the bonnet? If yes, please tell me where they are at. And which of these fuses is of the tail lights, dashboard light etc. Remember mine is a RHD and the interior fuse box is located on the driver's saide (right on the car)

Name:  DSC07140.jpg
Views: 3696
Size:  83.0 KB

Last edited by carfanatic; 11-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by carfanatic
Would a burnt light bulb cause the dash lights not to turn on as well?

I don't think that is the problem as the dash and tail ligths used to go off momentarily. Now they're out completely!
Yes, seems strange. My memory is a little fuzzy, it's been awhile but I do recall in my case the tail lights, either a bulb or fuse being related to intrument panel going dark. Doesn't hurt to check bulb and recheck fuses. Maybe a bad fuse that looked good and now has completly failed. Do the easy things first.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 AM

I guess I found the problem. Was checking the fuses carefully and I noted that some are rated 25amps and even 30 amps which the haynes manual and this fuse box cover off a 1979-1981 280zx does not show any fuses above 20amps. Half of the fuses I have in are the old 'wir'e type fuses that can be blown but hardly seen.

I'm possitively sure that the fuse box cover show here is off a left hand drive car as i got the picture off ebay.com. Would the diagram be the same for my car?

Name:  BYTHOgBGkKGrHgoOKj4EjlLmn4WBKgpvldZ.jpg
Views: 5257
Size:  27.7 KB

My fuse box without cover!
Name:  DSC07140.jpg
Views: 5573
Size:  83.0 KB

Last edited by carfanatic; 11-11-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM

No dash, tail or license plate lights

Ok I moved this thread here because I wasn't getting that much posts on the technical forum.

So when I bought the car, the guy told me if the dash lights go out, assume you won't have tail lights neither. He continued to say that the solution for it is to switch off the light switch on the turning signal switch and re-switch it on. This worked wonders for a few times the dash light failed to operate.

This is what should be lit with the first turn of the light switch. Now with the first turn of the light switch, none of these light up.
Name:  DSC07069.jpg
Views: 3725
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  DSC07067.jpg
Views: 4003
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  DSC07070.jpg
Views: 3897
Size:  26.4 KB

I then went to install A headunit in the dashboard as the former one was blown out. I recall that the dash lights, tail lights and license plate lights did turn on after the new stereo installation.

If I recall well, it was when I touched the dimmer switch that these lights didn't seem to operate as I switched on the car a few hours after touching the dim switch.

I hear a click sound coming from the top box shown in the pic.

Fuses are ok
Fusible links seem all connected

Have no idea how to get out and check the dim meter. Can it be a connection on the light switch?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 AM
The Good Twin

Ok I moved this thread here because I wasn't getting that much posts on the technical forum.
There were 20 other posts in that thread... that's "much".

I have combined your new thread to the old thread because they are on the exact same topic, and we don't need to go over the same things again.

Have no idea how to get out and check the dim meter. Can it be a connection on the light switch?
Have you downloaded the FSM yet? Sounds like you haven't. Before we go any further, please download it here: www.xenons130.com/reference
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Finally i've solved the problem!!! It's was the combination switch. Kust cleaned the contacts and now is working in order. To thank everyone who help me in any way, please refer to my other thread with some day-time pictures of my Z!

Quick Reply: No Dash lights!