280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Need help with 280zx wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Need help with 280zx wiring

Working with an '82 280zxt. Got it back from the body shop after nearly 5 years (yeah I know) and I'm trying to get her to where she's running again. First order of business will be to replace the main harness that they butchered. It runs from a set of connectors (blue, green, brown, white, black) next to the passenger kick panel into the engine compartment. I have an '83 zxt for parts that I removed the harness from, here's the two issues I'm having:

1) I'd like to verify that this harness is the same for both '82 and '83 zxt models. I can pull up all the information I need from the '83 fsm, but for the '82 the schematic is setup completely different and it looks like there are a few pages missing. If you have the '82 fsm and open the "turbo" pdf, scroll down to the last page and you'll see the connectors I'm talking about, but it shows several wires going from there to what I assume should be the next page. However it's not available. The same thing happens on the non-turbo schematics too. So if anyone has a full wiring schematic for the '82 280zxt, or can at least confirm that it's the same harness, I would appreciate it.

2) I can't remove the colored connectors from the black plastic housing they're attached to. On the '83 parts car I just broke the housing because I didn't need it, but on the '82 I'd rather try to do this the proper way. I understand I don't need the housing, but it does help keep everything neat and orderly. So how are you supposed to remove these connectors from the housing? I've fiddled with them for quite some time and have been unsuccessful.

I would appreciate any help with this. It's been too long since I've driven her and I'm dying to get behind the wheel again
Attached Thumbnails Need help with 280zx wiring-dsc00568.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The colour coded connectors go to their associated colour coded mating connector.... Is this a trick question? There are tabs that lock the connectors in place - gently pry them apart to pull them out - the click into place.

There are several harnesses - the EFI, Dash, Stereo, etc. Various cars have various options. The wiring between the '82 and '83 are for the most part the same. They are the same as far as the EFI harness goes. I don't recall off the top of my head if they all have a connection for the Vacuum Control Modulator that controlls the EGR and idle air.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM

I think you have misunderstood what I'm asking. I know where the male to female connectors go, but I haven't been able to remove the female connectors from the black housing that they're in (see pic) so I can pull the harness through the firewall and replace it. When I removed it from my '83, I just pried hard enough to where it cracked the black housing and released the plug. It's a parts car so I didn't care, but I would like to do this one the right way...I just can't figure out how they're supposed to pop out of there.

From what I can tell this is the "main" harness. It runs through the firewall and runs to the charging system, all exterior lighting, relay box, etc. I figured an '82zxt and '83zxt harness would be the same, but when looking at a couple of the connectors, they seem to be different. When I try to trace them in the schematic, it gets cut off like there are pages missing. I'm trying to not take the "let's see what happens" route, and make sure I'm installing the proper harness.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I understand what you're asking. You want to remove the connectors from the black housing they are sitting in. Take the housing and look at the back. There are four tabs on the back that lock the main connectors in. Get a small slotted screwdriver and gently bend the tabs back while putting enought pressure on the connector to clear the tab one at a time but not so much pressure that the tab won't move. It's a little tricky but take your time and you'll see what I'm talking about.....
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You also need to find out what options your car has - that will determine what harness has what wiring.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM

I tried that already without much luck (thought I was pushing too hard and felt like plastic was about to crack). I would use a pick to hold the tab up while sliding a strung out paperclip under the tab, holding it up in place while I moved to the next one. I did this until all 4 tabs were held open, but I still couldn't get the connector to release. I guess I'll keep messing with it using that method.

And unless I can find out what options I had by vin, I don't know how else to find them. I picked up the '83zxt as a shell - drivetrain, dash, and misc harnesses had been removed along with several other pieces. The '82 I also picked up as a butchered project car, and ended up dropping a small block in it. So a lot of the factory pieces are missing from that one as well. I mostly need this harness for the lighting and charging. I can tell you they both had cruise control
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Are you coming at it from the back? The tabs are part of the black housing.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Either harness is going to have all the basics. Make sure it's not all chopped up. All the information is in the FSM including the wiring colour codes, etc. You'll have a part number on the harness as well - a piece of tape/plastic with a part number should be on the harness IIRC.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Just got around to it and am looking at the housing right now. No, previously I was messing with the tabs visible from the front. I'll go see if I can find some on the back. The harness I pulled from the '83zxt is complete. Regarding the FSM, all the information is there for the '83, but I swear the '82 has to have some pages missing or something. The '83 harness is labeled 24012-p9910, and the tag for the '82 is MIA.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Fric....love you man. As soon as I wiped off the body dust on the back of the housing, I saw the 4 tabs holding the connectors in. Just removed my first one. Thank you thank you thank you.

Now if I can only find a full '82 schematic...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The full schematic will make you're eyes go cross - the FSM has both the schematic and the wiring diagram (eg connectors, wire colouring, etc). It's a lot easier to look at the specific system. You can print each diagram individually as well.

Your wiring harness is from:

24012 HARNESS ASSY-ENGINE ROOM (NOT AVAILABLE)
**012-P9910 1982.12- FED. 2S. L28ET. MT. F5 + FED. 4S. L28ET. MT. F5

Not sure what the F5 stands for... NismoPick?

Sounds like that's the EFI harness not the Body harness?

It looks like the main difference in the body harnesses is Auto Air, Warning System, Warning System & Power window, Auto Rear Defogger, and Digital Radio. There is also a difference with the Digital/analog gauge cluster pigtail. Also the tri gauge can be different as well. See if you can find the number on the body harness and list what you have in the car for the above options.