280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

How do you clean fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Cool How do you clean fuel injectors

Hi I am almost certain the injectors are clogged on my 280zx . I am having trouble with it starting and I realized that the sun heat and age have liquidfied the internals of my under the hood fuel lines. What is the best way to clean these injectors and what brand of cleaner works best Im planning to remove them to clean them but I don't want to destroy them. And can the injectors be disassembled for cleaning ,,,
Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 AM
The Good Twin

The two basic ways:

-Run a can of Seafoam through a tank of gas.
-Take off fuel injector rail, remove injectors, soak in Seafoam / parts cleaner.

Lots of info on ZDriver and the internet about injector cleaning. Feel free to use the search feature to find all the details.

I went to www.google.com and typed in "how to clean fuel injectors" and it came back w/ 109,000 hits. Here's one of the first:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2044858_clea...injectors.html
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 PM

Is Seafoam that good??? I hear that "it's the best"...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM
NisTuner

What I did, pardon my MSPaint.

Kind of an extravagant setup, but it's really cheap, and this way you can actually see the injectors being cleaned. You have the pump feed the mix to the rail, have the return line clamped off, and connect one injector to the battery at a time. This way the cleaner has nowhere to go but through the injector. You'll see the injectors eventually clear out and start spraying normally if they're clogged at all. This worked well. Like I said I needed to get everything together, but other than spending a little money on cleaner, hose, and hose clamps this was a really cheap setup, since I had the rail out of the car, a spare pump, battery, and filter, it was really quick to setup.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 AM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by turboZ87.300
Is Seafoam that good??? I hear that "it's the best"...
i have never used the stuff, i figure, high octane gas and a bottle of octane booster meant for suv's and some hard drivin, they must be clean by the end of the tank.

i stop drivin so hard after the carbon stops commin out though. i generally dont have to do this very often and seeing how i need a new set its no use any more.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 AM

Thanks Nismo for the tips with sea foam I will give that cleaner a try. I once ruined the finish on a mass air sensor by using regular carb cleaner and I didn't want to risk a harmful chemical to my injectors so thanks for the info . Hey Duowing I like the idea that you have with the fuel pump Ive been trying to think of an idea similar to that to transfer fluid from differentials and manual transmissions . Those junk hand plastic pumps from auto parts stores are either falling apart or totally inconveinient to pump from under the car while trying to hold the line in place. Someday I would love to do a total refill without creating a mess . Only thing is be careful about any spark from the battery or wire connections because it could get lethal. A friend of mine was transferring fuel with an el=cheapo drill pump that fits on the end of a drill . While using it somehow the brushes from the drill ignited the vapor from the gas and he almost lost his bosses truck, ended up with a flash burn on the paint.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 AM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Hey check you number 6 injector's O-ring seal, those usually go bad quickly, also uh i just did mine and it's a BEAR to get them off the rail and back on so try to run some seafoam, and if worse comes to worse, just take them off one by one and replace their fuel filters, don't bother having to get them serviced if one is broken or leaking, just get one off ebay they're really cheap.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
NisTuner

I don't know how flammable injector cleaner is, but I used a good bit of wire to go to the pump/injector, and I used an injector connector from the spare car. We kept in mind to be careful with this. Mainly we had the wiring connected to the pump and the injector, then we'd connect the wiring to the battery when we were ready to try to maintain the spark over on the battery end. Another was to do it would be to wire everything up with a relay or switch or something, then that way you have an even smaller risk of spark.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Witchhunter.com

I've used them several times in the past on various projects. Rebuild them good as new.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM

i'm still waiting for my injectors from witchhunter.com. I Drove them early FEB. He mailed them back. Post office said they were delivered and no signiture was required. USPS policy is any INSURED packaged must have a signature. So i'm going to demand a signature or take them to small claims court. Make sure to mail your stuff to an easy to find address (for the courier) Because USPS ARE RETARDED!!