280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
The Good Twin

N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List

These are lists of needed parts to convert your non-turbo (naturally aspirated - n/a) L28E motor to turbocharged. This is not an explanation of how to install these parts. Obviously the most simple and usually cheapest solution would be to just swap in a turbo L28ET motor, but some people live where Z's are scarce, or just too impatient to wait for a 280zxt to pop up locally. I've bought several 280zxt donor cars for $300-$400.

Remember that as boost (lbs, psi) increases, so does compression ratio (CR). The reason the L28ET turbo motor is a 7.4:1 CR is because at full boost (6.5psi) the CR is ~10.7:1. Now do the math... the L28E flat top CR is 8.8:1, at 6.5lbs boost it would be 12.7:1. At 10psi it would be 14.8:1. That CR is extremely high for a stock L28E, SOHC motor, running 35yr old fuel management technology. The head gasket will probably be the first thing to blow.

Recent successful (not without problems) L28E turbo conversion threads:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...81-s130-36806/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...rite-up-32792/

Another good read:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...-2003-a-19638/

Option#1: The more expensive and thorough / reliable route:

The list is thus:
  • Turbocharger
  • Downpipe
  • Oil in & dump lines
  • Oil T from pressure sensor
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Intake J-Pipe
  • Oil pan
  • Injectors
  • Entire EFI harness (including all relays)
  • Coil ignition harness
  • ECU
  • Fuel pump module (82-83T)
  • Drop resisitor (81T)
  • AFM
  • Distributor
  • Oil pump / distributor shaft
  • Coil bracket w/ ignitor
  • Fuel pump

Optional parts that would facilitate the process:
  • Intake manifold
  • AAC / EGR actuator pump (only if you want those items to work)
  • AFM to turbocharger accordion connector boot
  • Thermostat housing w/ all sensors
  • CHTS (if current chassis doesn't have one)
  • TPS (n/a is 3 prong, turbo is 2 prong)

Option#2: The cheapskate route:
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Turbocharger
  • Downpipe
  • Oil in & dump lines
  • Turbo injectors

Option#2 additional requirements:
You will need to drill a hole in the left side of the oil pan and weld on a bung for the turbocharger oil dump. You will also need to fab up an exhaust coupler for the 2.5" downpipe to hook into your 2" or 2.25" stock exhaust. And you will need to fab up pipes & couplers to run the compressed air from the turbo out to throttle body. Also, depending on the year of the motor, the intake PCV valve will likely be right in the way of the turbo out. You will need to either cap it and place the PCV elsewhere, or fit a very tight 90* bend on it to get it out of the way. Lastly, if your chassis has the recirc ball steering, you will need to trim the turbocharger wastegate bracket to fit around the steering box.

You will also need to tune the AFM and timing to keep the A/F ratio within acceptable ranges.

Those are all the bare essential components. If you were to buy everything in Option#1 individually at a junk yard, it would probably take you 20hrs+ to remove it all (the actual turbo & oil pan being the worst parts), and I imagine you'd be spending $500-$800 unless you find someone cool enough to just give you a flat rate for a wheelbarrow full of parts. I can usually source a complete L28ET (in the USA) for less than $500. I've done many motor swaps, turbo and n/a, and mixes of all... and when I say it's easier and cheaper to source a complete motor, that's because it is, but you now have the list.
Attached Thumbnails N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List-turbo-dizzy-2-.jpg   N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List-pano-1-sized.jpg   N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List-compare1.jpg   N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List-82-83t-ecu-wiring.jpg   N/A L28E to Turbo Parts List-81t-ecu-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by NismoPick; 03-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM

wha???

okay time to make myself sound like an incompetent bafoon. I have a 79 N/A 280zx with no motor or trans but the body and frame are almost rust free and road worthy. I also have a rusted out donor car with a running motor and trans but it is also a N/A car. The other day I picked up a turbo engine. The bottom end of the turbo motor is locked up, but the P90 head that came with it is okay as well as the intake and exhaust manifold. But it didn't come with a turbo and the oil pan is shot. Before you ask, I only paid $100 dollars for this engine so I came out on top. Now, should I go through the trouble of turbocharging my N/A with stock components, such as ECU and such, or should I buy a megasquirt setup with an intercooler, blow off valve, etc.? I've done carbed v8's and stuff but on this stuff, I know just enough to get myself into trouble lol, but I'm not rushing into it though I'm taking my time and doing it right which is why I'm asking you. I might take the p79 head off the N/A and either put a cometic head gasket on it or do that and put my p90 head on it Idk. I don't plan on putting more than 10lbs of boost on it. I don't want to push it too far and blow it up or something just want some mo powa lol. I'm gunna do a thread about it later. I've got about $2500 dollars left for my build and want to keep spending down on things that can be bought cheap but I won't skimp in the areas that count.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM

It also did not come with a distributor, oil supply lines, anything for turbo charging the motor other than p90 head and intake and exhaust manifolds. Idk for now I might just leave the p79 head on it and save some work and cash cause I need it running fast cause it's going to cost me a ton of money in gas to borrow a car from someone whenver I need to go somewhere...
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by eXp0N3nT1aL
The bottom end of the turbo motor is locked up,
Locked up is a pretty generic description. Tear it down to see the real problem (could just be a slipped bearing). L28E and L28ET cranks and rods are the same, but the pistons are what you'd want.

or should I buy a megasquirt setup with an intercooler, blow off valve, etc.?
Yes. You should.

put a cometic head gasket on it
Yesh! Shop around though... and check MSA's mls head gasket availability.

I don't plan on putting more than 10lbs of boost on it.
Yeah right... once you feel 10psi, you'll want more.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Yes MS is the way to go if you plan on wanting to avoid chasing antiquated wiring.

If you want more info on that I have a good writeup on zcar regarding the install process.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 PM

my turn to ask a newbie question, is the/a vacuum pump necessary? i have a 83 280zx, bought a turbo kit on ebay (yayie for cheap no instruction equipment) engine is built, every thing looks good, just have to put the motor in, I've read elsewhere (and not pertaining to a 280) that the pcv should be relocated pre-turbo?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 60to0
bought a turbo kit on ebay
Turbo kit as in a Chinese knockoff, or L28ET turbo parts?

If you are only installing the turbocharger and exhaust manifold, then no, you don't need the vacuum pump, because you won't have the AAC valve for it to operate. As for the EGR... well, no one except California drivers leave it hooked up.

Lastly, I've recently seen a few people just open venting the positive crank port on the front left of the engine block... never done research on the pros & cons, but that would be an easy fix since you can just cap the PCV port on the bottom of the intake.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM

"American made" thus probably made in china, turbo' is out of a friends car, so i know it at least is good. hold on to the one from the kit for a different project, not sure what classifies as just a turbo&mani, what I've done, p90a head, ic, new pistons, cam, valves, rockers, springs, turbo manifold, MS, custom exhaust. i am in california, but luckily my location i only have to smog on purchase, side notes, whole new interior, need to finish body work. was s'posed to be, a quick "buy from craigslist trouble shoot why it wont start and bam dad has a birthday present" 3 years and about $5500 later its turning into an interesting little track/sunday driver. have a bunch of extra l28et parts,...that i dont need but bought because i thought i would. Cest la vie, you learn by doing.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
These are lists of needed parts to convert your non-turbo (naturally aspirated - n/a) L28E motor to turbocharged. This is not an explanation of how to install these parts. Obviously the most simple and usually cheapest solution would be to just swap in a turbo L28ET motor, but some people live where Z's are scarce, or just too impatient to wait for a 280zxt to pop up locally. I've bought several 280zxt donor cars for $300-$400.

Remember that as boost (lbs, psi) increases, so does compression ratio (CR). The reason the L28ET turbo motor is a 7.4:1 CR is because at full boost (6.5psi) the CR is ~10.7:1. Now do the math... the L28E flat top CR is 8.8:1, at 6.5lbs boost it would be 12.7:1. At 10psi it would be 14.8:1. That CR is extremely high for a stock L28E, SOHC motor, running 35yr old fuel management technology. The head gasket will probably be the first thing to blow.

Recent successful (not without problems) L28E turbo conversion threads:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...81-s130-36806/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...rite-up-32792/

Another good read:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...-2003-a-19638/

Option#1: The more expensive and thorough / reliable route:

The list is thus:
  • Turbocharger
  • Downpipe
  • Oil in & dump lines
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Intake J-Pipe
  • Oil pan
  • Injectors
  • Entire EFI harness (including all relays)
  • Coil ignition harness
  • ECU
  • Fuel pump module (82-83T)
  • Drop resisitor (81T)
  • AFM
  • Distributor
  • Oil pump / distributor shaft
  • Coil bracket w/ ignitor
  • Fuel pump

Optional parts that would facilitate the process:
  • Intake manifold
  • AAC / EGR actuator pump (only if you want those items to work)
  • AFM to turbocharger accordion connector boot
  • Thermostat housing w/ all sensors
  • CHTS (if current chassis doesn't have one)
  • TPS (n/a is 3 prong, turbo is 2 prong)

Option#2: The cheapskate route:
  • Exhaust manifold
  • Turbocharger
  • Downpipe
  • Oil in & dump lines
  • Turbo injectors

Option#2 additional requirements:
You will need to drill a hole in the left side of the oil pan and weld on a bung for the turbocharger oil dump. You will also need to fab up an exhaust coupler for the 2.5" downpipe to hook into your 2" or 2.25" stock exhaust. And you will need to fab up pipes & couplers to run the compressed air from the turbo out to throttle body. Also, depending on the year of the motor, the intake PCV valve will likely be right in the way of the turbo out. You will need to either cap it and place the PCV elsewhere, or fit a very tight 90* bend on it to get it out of the way. Lastly, if your chassis has the recirc ball steering, you will need to trim the turbocharger wastegate bracket to fit around the steering box.

You will also need to tune the AFM and timing to keep the A/F ratio within acceptable ranges.

Those are all the bare essential components. If you were to buy everything in Option#1 individually at a junk yard, it would probably take you 20hrs+ to remove it all (the actual turbo & oil pan being the worst parts), and I imagine you'd be spending $500-$800 unless you find someone cool enough to just give you a flat rate for a wheelbarrow full of parts. I can usually source a complete L28ET (in the USA) for less than $500. I've done many motor swaps, turbo and n/a, and mixes of all... and when I say it's easier and cheaper to source a complete motor, that's because it is, but you now have the list.
Hi
I have a 280zx turbo but added turbo been done properly runs well , thinking of putting a P90 head on the N42 to bring compression down to gain bigger turbo and more boost …..but now wondering if I can source a L28ET instead would this be at all possible if I pay your costs …one big problem I’m in the uk !
also could you please tell me what fuel pump I should be running as mines just gave up
many thanks Mark 👍