280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Z31 turbo ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
The Evil Twin

My Z31 turbo ECU swap

I know this isn't going to actually happen any time soon... but I'll start the thread. I got my 1988 300ZX turbo ECU today. I also pulled the crank angle sensor from a Z31 in the wrecking yard. It just looks like a thin stainless steel mini-CD. is that right? I did not grab the pickup or anything else.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:35 PM

yep

that would be the item. make damn sure you install it with the right side up.

If you post with the number on the ecu, I can tell exactly what you have. Federal or California, Auto or Manual. The JECS number, not Nissan part number.

Mine is from an '88 Turbo Federal Manual tranny. It has a 26 on the sticker.

You might want to do a pin by pin comparison between your cars year model and the '88. I found many discrepencies between the two, however, Ben at Jim Wolf said internal changes were made to correct this.

Also, the '88 turbo has a Titiania O2 sensor with 3 wires which means, according to JWT, that you must wire in that O2 sensor.
The 1 wire O2 sensor on our cars will not work.
Also, you must make a bung change in the downpipe to accomidate a 17mm sensor vs the 22mm sensor.

kenny

I have one for the jwt upgrade, the instructions say to change swap the wires to #2 and #5 with each other [which I have done] That may be for the jwt upgrade only though.

The upgrade is taking longer than expected though. Only because we are going through everthing on the car first. The parts are all here, ready to go on, just not in a rush.
Attached Thumbnails My Z31 turbo ECU swap-zcarupgrades-019-medium-.jpg   My Z31 turbo ECU swap-zcarupgrades-020-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by captken; 01-27-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 AM
The Evil Twin

the smaller numbers below the big 30 are as follows
A18-A06 M96 [ 8112]

It is from a white 1988 300zx turbo with VLSD. Not sure on auto or manual. Probably manual.
and no, I could not get the LSD... it was already gone

I'll have to keep an eye out for an o2 sensor at a wrecking yard. A new one of the 3 wires are pretty expensive. Especially considering a one-wire is only 20 bucks. I will need to make a downpipe anyway so I'll make sure to weld in the correct bung.

I think its cool how there is an idle speed control on the ECU. Now you're playing with power!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 AM

According to this service bulletin, your ecu is a California emission, manual tranny.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB94-097.pdf

go to page 17. Corny sounding url, but it looks like someone posted it that has access to dealer literature.

The LSD setup is nice. Ben at JWT told me that the idle control will not work on my car. It may for your upgrade though, I don't know.

I went here http://carfiche.com/manuals020/cars/ and downloaded the fsm for the '88 and did a pin by pin comparison on the turbo '88 ecu against my car's wiring schematic.

With all that wire you got, you'l need to have a schematic to see where everything goes. Don't you also need the maf from that car? I am using the maf from a Cobra Mustang, then again everything I am telling you has bee passed down to me from Ben at Jim Wolf for THEIR upgrade, and probably wouldn't help you, I don't know. But any way, here is the email Ben sent me regarding pins. BTW, some of the pins perform double duty!

Hi Ken,
I spoke to our engineer and found out that all the circuits inside the ECU are changed where needed for the conversion of an 88-89 Z31 ECU into your 1983 280ZX-T. So you do not do any wiring changes other than disconnecting the detonation sensor plug, disconnecting the fuel pump control module and adding the proper Oxygen sensor wiring for the heated sensor you have and whatever else is specified on the L28 special page on the 450hp information. Everything else is set inside the ECU, just plug and play.

1983 ECU 1988 ECU
pin 5 = Power transistor Ignition signal (is ok, no change)
pin 6 = Fuel pump control module and
ECCS main relay EGT sensor (California) (you would disconnect the fuel pump module)
pin 20 = ECS Analyzer EFI relay
pin 21 = empty DET sensor (not used, you disconnet DET sensor plug)
pin 27 = EFI relay Main relay power ECU
pin 30 = Air temp sensor EGT sensor (California) (not used)
pin 33 = AFM air temp sensor Ignition signal
pin 35 = EFI relay Main relay power ECU

Best regards,
Ben Pila (Technical and Sales Support)
Jim Wolf Technology, Inc.
212 Millar Ave
El Cajon, CA 92020-4219
(619) 442-0680 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm PST
(619) 579-8160 24 hour fax
www.jimwolftechnology.com

Last edited by captken; 01-28-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:02 AM
The Good Twin

Wahoo! Bleachie is gunna be rollin large now! Just need to find a romulator & then you can program the ecu with wild "Bleach" specs!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
The Evil Twin

From my understanding the MAS and the CAS can be from any year Z31... turbo or NA. I have a 1986 MAS and this 1985 CAS plate. both from NA cars.
I'll start collecting spare MAS sensors. After the Z31 upgrade I'm done. No funky programing or super large MAS. If I ever go any further it will be Megasquirt but most likely I'd just go RB25/26 ya know!

Yes the car was found by my friend in SanDiego so it makes sense that it was a California car. Its sad that one of those rare turbo SS models got put there. It had that front lip and everything. I told my friend to grab the LSD that day or the next morning. I wired him money and the next day he was 'sick'. He went back for it later and the VLSD was gone. I do know of a website explaining what needs to be done to fit the vlsd halfshafts into an S30 or S130 so it an work.
anyway... your info I would believe is correct for my swap. My wiring harness and electronics for the L28eT are 1983 as well. thanks for the help so far
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 AM

hey bleach hows it going. I have the z31 setup also just never installed. ITS NOT THAT GREAT PUTTING AN ECU AND MAF FROM THE WRECKING YARD IN YOUR PANTS... not that i did it or anything... But the best part is you know that im not exactly the biggest guy...so it was a little hard to hide.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Darrell, you crack me up!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
The Evil Twin

but I'm sure your pants are more baggy than even my biggest baggy pants!
Ya, we can be not installed Z31 turbo ECU brothaz... we roll with the Z31 ecu in the glovebox

I also found out the turbo O2 sensor is unique those last two years so I can't just grab an NA o2 sensor.... but the good news is that a new sensor is only $77. could be worse
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Über User

couldnt you go back and just take teh O2 from the same car????
Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
The Evil Twin

The car is in SanDiego. I did ask my friend if he was going back and if he could get the O2 sensor for me. He said "sure, but I dont' know when I'm going back there"

...he'll get right on that, just like he was going to get that LSD for me
Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
The Good Twin

Might as well get a new one... Less time waiting & more accurate signal to the ecu (equals less trouble shooting).
Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Externally Wastegated

Don't forget to wire in resistors for the fuel injectors since you're using an 88-89ecu. You can buy them at Frys, Radioshack, etc. Otherwise you run the risk of melting your fuel injectors' connectors.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Bleach
The car is in SanDiego. I did ask my friend if he was going back and if he could get the O2 sensor for me. He said "sure, but I dont' know when I'm going back there"

...he'll get right on that, just like he was going to get that LSD for me
...Sounds like you need "Better" friends in San Diego...

Rod.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
...Sounds like you need "Better" friends in San Diego...

Rod.
ya, I sound bitter huh?
He's a good guy and I guess he tried. He called me when he found the car because I said to cal me if he see's ANY turbo Z. (easier for friends to remember that than certain years) anyway, so he said the LSD was there and it had the VLSD sticker. I know that's not the easiest one to isntall but for the price the yard wanted I was going to go for it. I stressed that he needs to pull it for me now, or the very next morning (he works nights) or it will be gone. I also mentioned that it costs me $35 just to wire him the money so if he doesn't get it then I lose $35 for nothing.... well, I lost $35.
He's still my friend but it sucks I missed out on an LSD

Rod, if you can find me a cheap LSD you can be my new best friend in/or near SanDiego!

love,
Bleach
Old 01-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Been there done that...

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
Don't forget to wire in resistors for the fuel injectors since you're using an 88-89ecu. You can buy them at Frys, Radioshack, etc. Otherwise you run the risk of melting your fuel injectors' connectors.
Radio Shack does not have the correct dropping resistor, which is probably not what he needs, you need to add the dropping resistors for the fuel injectors only if you are using low impedence injectors.

Stock doesn't need em'.

If one were to add dropping resistors for low impedence injectors, you'd need 6.8 ohm 10 watt resistors, something that Radio Shack does not list in their cataloge.

I am in no hurry to install my upgrade, I am having too much fun going thru and upgrading evey other system on the car, and I mean everything...fubar is NOT impressed....he wants to jump to the engine upgrades right away!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Doesn't post much...

Rod, if you can find me a cheap LSD you can be my new best friend in/or near SanDiego!
Next time I go junkyard crawling i will let you know...

Rod.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Externally Wastegated

Stock 82-83 280zxt injectors are low impedence. It's the stock 88-89 turbo 300zx's that are high impedence.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
The Evil Twin

Stock 82-83 280zxt injectors are low impedence. It's the stock 88-89 turbo 300zx's that are high impedence.
Thanks for the tip guys. I need to get this straightened out though. I do have a document that I saved on my computer. It has some text from a Hybridz thread on the ECU swap. It also mentions adding a resistor inline if using the 88-89 ecu on the 280ZX.

But what about 1981 turbo injectors? Would that be the other solution?
To instal either 1981 injectors or 1988-89 300ZX injectors? (probably same part number)

Originally Posted by Some Guy
I confirmed that the 84-87 injectors are low impedance similar to the 280ZXT, hence those computer don't require dropping resistors.
All 88-89 (turbo and non-turbo) used high impedance injectors, meaning that if you are using low impedance injectors such as the stock or SVO's...and an 88-89 ecu, you will need six 6.8ohm/10watt resistor to be put in line with the injector signal/wire comming out of the ecu pins 101-106 (this is real easy to do, cut the wire and place resitor in line)
Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
The Good Twin

To instal either 1981 injectors or 1988-89 300ZX injectors? (probably same part number)
Weren't 88-89 side feed injectors? The JWT ecu pdf talks about installing the resistors ( http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...%20UPGRADE.PDF ). And if the 81T's are high impedence (due to the drop resistor) I imagine you could use those... they'd be pretty rare tho.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Über User

hmmmm... see this is what im worried about.. these stupid Z injectors.. and i wanna go mega squirt sometime in the near future. so i'm thinking of taking a short cut and getting hte pallnet fuel rail that takes teh DSM injectors and then just getting 6 for free from my buddies..... the stock rate is 450CC's sooo.... all would be good.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Externally Wastegated

From what I remember, the 81 turbos used low impedence injectors just the same, but the ecu is like the 88-89 ecu where it sends out a high impedence signal. There were resistor packs inline with the fuel injectors for 81 turbos to reduce the voltage to the injectors. Hope this clears up some of the confusion for you Bleach.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
The Evil Twin

yes thank you. That's the info I had heard but didnt' know the details. So the injectors themselves are the same on 1981-83. But the wiring harness in 1981 is different.

There were resistor packs inline with the fuel injectors for 81 turbos to reduce the voltage to the injectors.
sooo... where in the wiring harness are these resistor packs located!?

So I suppose if I happened to have already been using a 1981 turbo wiring harness... oh never mind.

I'll install inline resistors

Last edited by Bleach; 02-01-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Externally Wastegated

IIRC it's under the driver's dash somewhere hahah. I can't tell you exactly since I own an 82, but my I remember my friend mentioning he found them when we were discussing the differences between 81 and 82-83 turbos. I think some guys on hybridz were discussing about it too. Maybe TonyD or Bastaad525 guy would know on that forum.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 AM
The Evil Twin

Driver's dash?! My FI wiring is separate from the dash and chassis wiring.
If its under the dash then it would only be in the first two feet of wires coming from the ECU through the firewall.

maybe I'll just buy the aftermarket resistors mentioned in the JWT PDF.

Quick Reply: My Z31 turbo ECU swap