280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injectors not firing, no power. Bad ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM

Injectors not firing, no power. Bad ecu?

Hello,
I've recently been trying to get my 83 5 speed non turbo car on the road and am having problems getting it to start.
The car ran fine then I took the ign module off, dropped and boiled the tank out and ran new lines and cleaned the throttle body and all connections/grounds/relay prongs. Then it ran but very very rough and would die with any throttle. I then received a new ignition module and after putting it in am having the problems I get now.
So:
Fuel lines etc are connected properly
It's got new plugs
Afm is good
Throttle valve switch is good
Coil is good
Dizzy is good
Spark is strong at plugs
New ignition module because my old one caused the car to die when hot
Fuel pump is good
Gas tank, sender etc is good
Fuel makes it to and through the rail easily
Fuel pressure is good
All grounds and connections are triple checked good

I tried all the multimeter tests I could from the FSM in the EFEC section starting around 90ish. I tried hooking up a light to the injector plug and got no light. The injectors do not fire when car is turned over.
Car runs fine with starting fluid
Car has been sitting for 4-5 years
I took apart the sheathing on the wiring harness and all wiring from ECU to injectors or anything else is solid and good. I'm simply getting nothing from injectors and I don't know why.

I took the ECU out and opened it up, there were several (4-5) resistor type items (not resistors spherical in shape with a half white half purple colour) that had what looked like puffy corrosion on either side of the middle section. I cleaned them off and nothing changed. Could my ECU be the problem? I'm trying everything before I buy a new one because they're expensive.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
The Good Twin

Did you check / replace the fusible links? Is the green LED light on in the ecu?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM

The O2 sensor light was flashing before but it's been a while since I checked so I will check again. Non of the fusible links are burned or damaged and I cleaned all the connectors there. They appear okay but I'm unsure of the best way to test them.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 PM

It was the connection leading to the coil all along. Ive been banging my head on this thing for weeks :/ It's running now but I'm back to old problems. It's got hesitation in throttle and an occasional backfire from the intake around the afm. When I give it throttle it revs up then when revving down around 1500-2000 rpm the revs hang up for a second and it makes a sucking sound like a vacuum cleaner.