280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICP if thats correct *(the Computer) keeps shorting out I've now goine through 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM

ICP if thats correct *(the Computer) keeps shorting out I've now goine through 3

I bought this car for 1500 in VG condition, it rested in the Garage for many years it Survived a divorce, and once things settled down I cleaned the fuel systems out, got it running, took it for a test drive,,, FAST as my 66 GTO I'd say. Anyway, I found some fuel line cracked leaking upon a 20 min. test drive, Cattle Guard @ 80+ Steering was similar to a rope used in a GoCart, Rack & Pin was Shot limit speed now max 45, So I order in the R & P take the old one out as it's an exchange. and Drain the rest of the fluids change hoses and belts, and have a high school guy helping me out from time to time, I tell him to check all the fluids,,, I already cleaned them all out, he tells me one after the other they are all low, ok fill them to the mark and do NOT do the power steering till I get the Lines tight, found they had to be loose to get it in place, very tight fit. So the next day I lower the car recheck the fluids myself, all is a go with NEW Rack this should handle great... Well I turned the key to start and smoke came out from under the hood and by my left knee. It has never run again, even after I payed a 900 to fix it the second computer fried too, along with the Alternator, so I got another computer cleaned the harness ( my helper spilled fluid all over the Alternator, wiped it off but I think that took out the fuse link and Diode in the Alt. and 1 circuit in the computer, the third computer I hooked up and quickly disconnected it as soon as my finger got warm. I hope it's is not shot. So any one out there have anything useful to say other than Dumb *** I would greatly appropriate any ideas as I loose the house in 2 weeks and it's got to either run or be towed.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:09 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

FYI... ICP = Insane Clown Posse.

ECU = Electronic Control Unit ... aka "EFI computer".

Sounds like one of the main power wires to the ecu is grounding... not much else to do except start digging though the battery wires. Also check for continuity on all the wires.