280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane Polyurethane bushing intall finished on 1980 280ZX (lots of pics!)

Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Prothane Polyurethane bushing intall finished on 1980 280ZX (lots of pics!)

I finally got this done - I posted the pics and some notes on HybridZ (would do the same here, but don't want to go thorugh posting every picture individually again).

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=149208
Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

Very nice Z you got there. I like slicktop 2+2's.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks Justin!

Got it from the original owner last year - he took really good care of it (except the bushings...)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM

soooooo....I've been told on my other thread that I shouldn't run both poly bushings on the tension rods, and I've heard that before.

Can you guys weigh in on this - those who have done the poly install and have lost/noit lost a tension rod as a result? Here's my last question on HybridZ:

Guys - I'm growing a little concerned about the tension rod issue.

I've seen multiple posts here and there saying that poly bushings, due to their lack of flex, usually lead to tension rod failure. I've seen suggested solutions that span to using rubber on one side, to drilling holes (as suggested here).

I guess I'm just wary of doing the rubber swap (and possibly degrading the stiffness/integrity of the tension rod setup). Is it necessary? Will it lead to premature bushing failure because of the different levels of flexibility between the rubber and poly?

For those who HAVE experienced the TR failure, under what conditions did it happen? Normal road driving? Potholes? autocross? Were your frames in good condition; did anything else lead to the failure do you think?

I could be paranoid, but i want to do the right thing. I drive this car in a spirited manner sometimes, and have long term plans of possibly autoX - I want to future proof the suspension so that it stays robust and responsive.

Am a paranoid about using the rubber bushings? I'd really like to hear from those who have:
1) replaced with 1/2 rubber and 1/2 poly and let me know how that ended up
2) used poly on front and back side of TRs and how THAT ended up (still have your TR??)

Thanks guys - I'm always learning, but would prefer NOT to learn the hard way on this one, given how much effort I've already put into this (and how hard TRs are to find these days...)

Thanks in advance!

Phil
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 AM

anyone?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Usedta be Justin260z

Just get some aftermarket tension rods.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

^^ What he said. I broke a few (5) tension rods and said screw it and spent the money on the T3 tension rods. There is probably something wrong with my Z though, breaking that many
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM

I had never heard of that before. I have been running the poly bushings on my tension rods for the last three years, on a daily driver no less. Auto-x'd it a couple of, spun out on the highway doing 70 (thats another story) and drive my car like a raped date and haven't had any problems with mine yet. I have strut tower braces but have yet to upgrade the sway bars, ^^^were you guys running the big sway bars when your tension rods broke?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Update:

I just came across this thread for some reason and saw the thing about using poly bushings on the tension rods....welll, last year it bit me. I was on the freeway and heard something fall off the car. It had been pulling under braking for a while and after this, was more pronounced. I took off the wheels, inspected the brakes (which I'd done a year earlier), and found nothing. Took it to Big O for inspection and new tires and....nothing. FINALLY, they got a guy there who used to own Z's and he found that I had lost the nut on the pass side tension rod bushing and it had popped off. I had them replace with OE rubber and it's been fine since.

I would use OE rubber if I had to do it again (the Tension rods).
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

any retrospec suggestions on the bushing over haul? im about to under go this task and shocks and struts..
Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 PM

The bushing kit I got had everything - stuff for shocks, and stuff for transmission mounts, etc - I didn't end up using all of it.

I would get bushings for these things:
control arms
sway bars (I think these made the most difference and they were ROTTEN)
motor mounts
Tension rods (get rubber OEM and not poly)

I removed all these things and cleaned/painted while off the car. we needed to get a press for the control arm bushings (in and out) - you may want to just get one from harbor freight cheap instead of pay a shop if you're getting into this deep and have time.

It took a weekend, but my skills were pretty low back then - if it's your daily driver, schedule a whole weekend

Good luck - PM me with any questions
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Big Poppa

yup, dont be running the poly bushings up there. i have a rubber bushing with the ball and cup system that blackdragon used to sell. i personally would go for the ttt tension rods. best upgrade out there. i also have the msa sway bars and the mounts they send for the front snap under good cornering, i had to make some plate steel mounts for that too.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Don't run urethane bushings in your TC rods. Some people get away with it but it's commonly known to cause the TC rod to snap. Do you want to loose your steering on your car randomly as you're driving it around?