280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half shaft upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM

half shaft upgrade??

Ok ive been searching with both the search function and browsing through pages with no luck. In my countless hrs on here reading and reading I thought i remembered coming across a thread on upgrading the the rear half shafts for the diff with a cv axle set up... off of a turbo car??

Can someone guide me to that tread.. since im no longer commuting in my 83zx ive been just playing with it and thinking about taking my spare diff and welding it just to have a lil more ease with sliding it around but threads talking about that say they have a tendency to blow the half shaft out.. thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM

Half shafts breaking with welded diff

Originally Posted by silverzxbullet
Ok ive been searching with both the search function and browsing through pages with no luck. In my countless hrs on here reading and reading I thought i remembered coming across a thread on upgrading the the rear half shafts for the diff with a cv axle set up... off of a turbo car??

Can someone guide me to that tread.. since im no longer commuting in my 83zx ive been just playing with it and thinking about taking my spare diff and welding it just to have a lil more ease with sliding it around but threads talking about that say they have a tendency to blow the half shaft out.. thanks guys.
I have a set of CV's if interested. And yes more power to the rear wheels will have to match up to CV's. Today i will not be at the computer, so you may contact me on my cell 209-380-9719.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

you need the parts that match up to the half shaft and the stub axle. Just the half shaft won't do it.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by zenzee
I have a set of CV's if interested. And yes more power to the rear wheels will have to match up to CV's. Today i will not be at the computer, so you may contact me on my cell 209-380-9719.
Sent a text guess ur busy or cnt get text.. definitely interested tho. Where abouts in the 209 are u? Im in the stockton area.

Originally Posted by rogerz
you need the parts that match up to the half shaft and the stub axle. Just the half shaft won't do it.
Im looking to go from half shafts to a cv set up..

What yr model is the cv set up from? So i can look it up in the fsm.

Thanks all
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I would get the whole rear subframe. The geometry is also apparently improved as well on the turbo cars. Once you have the whole sub frame you can rebuild the whole rear end out of the car if you want.

And yes the CV rear end is from the turbo cars. I've heard rumours of the turbo rear end setup being found in some later 280ZXs but I've never seen it.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 AM

CV shafts upgrade

Originally Posted by silverzxbullet
Sent a text guess ur busy or cnt get text.. definitely interested tho. Where abouts in the 209 are u? Im in the stockton area.

Im looking to go from half shafts to a cv set up..

What yr model is the cv set up from? So i can look it up in the fsm.

Thanks all
I'm in Salida border Modesto. E/mail a contact number and i'll call you to see the parts i have.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

cv setup was also in some (maybe all) of the 2+2 - Not sure on that my memory is that i saw one in the junkyard that I was pulling parts from.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
I would get the whole rear subframe. The geometry is also apparently improved as well on the turbo cars. Once you have the whole sub frame you can rebuild the whole rear end out of the car if you want.

And yes the CV rear end is from the turbo cars. I've heard rumours of the turbo rear end setup being found in some later 280ZXs but I've never seen it.
Is this true as far as the geometry is improved? where is the improvement made?

RT