280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Warning Light!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Brake Warning Light!

Ok for the past week or so my Brake warning light has been coming on...the one in the dash cluster. I haven't noticed the brakes feeling any different and I checked the fluid level and it checks out fine. Now the light only comes on around a sharp turn while accelerating or under acceleration in a straight line. Any idea's guys? I do know that when the tires lock up the right front is the first to lock up but I think that is a tie rod issue. So...what am I looking for with this warning light thing...should I sell the car and buy a Honda??? J/K
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 PM
The Good Twin

So you're talking about the e-brake light, not the square "trouble shooting box" brake right???

If it's the ebrake warning, and the ebrake is down all the way, check the ebrake handle ground wire.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 PM

I belive you may be on to something. Yes it is the E-brake light and the E-brake is down all the way...I will look into it directly.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
So you're talking about the e-brake light, not the square "trouble shooting box" brake right???

If it's the ebrake warning, and the ebrake is down all the way, check the ebrake handle ground wire.
You are the man, that was the problem. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 PM

Wink E Brake Light...fixed.

I couldn't find the thread where I ask about my E brake light so I am posting this. It was thought that my "Brake" light was coming on because of a bad ground wire on my E brake itself...as it turns out that was not the problem, the problem was the plunger on the cap of my brake fluid reservoir, on the master cylinder. The light was coming on even sooner than before with very little gas and I messed with the wires on the E brake while the light was on and it did nothing. I think it was just a coincidence that it stopped when the suggestion was made to me to check the ground wire on it. I decided to check my brake fluid level and then I saw the connection to the cap and decided to mess with it to make sure it wasn't loose, it wasn't so I saw the plunger and it was kind of binding for some reason so I fixed it...no more brake light problems. I guess sometimes you just have to mess with other things, either way I have a new ground on my E brake lever so thats all good too.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:58 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by thxone
I couldn't find the thread where I ask about my E brake light so I am posting this.
I found it for you, and merged your threads. Thanks for posting an update.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 AM

Man that freaked me out!!! I was looking for what I just posted and it was gone....thought I was in trouble for something...lol. Thank you for finding and merging them for me...kudos to you.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

I noticed this is a 7 year old thread, but going through the same problem....I am actually missing my brake fluid cap, as the the previous owner seemed to have ghetto wrapped a plastic bag piece and zip tie it...honestly know I need to get a cap, my ebrake is all the way down, mess with wires, nothing happens, could this missing cap be the reason for my ebrake light staying on?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The sensors are built into the caps IIRC. No caps is bad news - the fluid will absorb water and you'll be in trouble before you know it. Find a replacement cap, flush the system and go from there.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM

If your car still has no brake fluid cap DON'T DRIVE IT. brake fluid is designed to have a very high boiling temperature so it doesn't turn to steam when you overheat the brakes, its also designed to absorb water so moisture doesn't corrode brake components, but if it absorbs too much water then the boiling point of the brake fluid is lowered, causing the fluid to boil on heavy breaking, creating air bubbles in the system, which causes soft brakes, and eventually no brakes at all.